Thread: Spartan Speedmaster 3/16" Stinger/Strut Install

Default Spartan Speedmaster 3/16" Stinger/Strut Install

I got sick of trying to keep the stock strut set at the proper angle so I picked up one of these from OSE last week. I haven't had a chance to test it yet until the wire drives come in from Wolht, but I have to say, this thing looks NICE. It's a little longer (about 1/2") than the stock strut so you'll have to invest in new 3/16" drive cables or wires, but this should eliminate the grease issue that comes with the stock strut. I'll post some results once I have time to test it.

It takes a little work to mount it solid. I bought some 1/2" aluminum angle at Lowes and dremeled it down to make a bracket. As you can see, the mounting holes fall just inside of the stock strut.

Looks good. thanks for the sticker!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Yeah, the Hobbywing sticker does look good!!

Good install. I noticed a guy on you tube reccomended raising drive hole 1/8th to help with chine walk. Does anyone reccomend this on the install of the speed master strut. Just bought one and I have installed yet.

What cable and length did you buy?

Hey everyone I'm in the process of doing this and more to my spartan. I am going to do a step by step build so that way everyone can see how it is done with detailed pictures from point A to Z. I am adding to the method that has already been done a few times before by many of the other experts here.My intention is to make the process a little simpler and to also add to the steps that has been created already making this process a little bit easier for the novice builder. I am in the process of getting the rest of my pieces for this build as I have everything except for the piano wire drive as it was lost in shipping. I am planning to make a custom aluminum bracket that will mount easliy with some use of the dremel too on the inside of the transom so that install can be very easy and neat and have allot of strength. I am by no means the first to do this just would like to take what has already been done and make it better by my standards. I am ny no means an expert in the boating world. I'm just looking toi make it easier to understand for the normal builder with links to each part and what tools will be needed. Any advice or help is welcome. I will be making it under a new thread for " Spartan drive strut mod A to Z".

These are best with a longer stub shaft. I have now starting carrying these (well building them) They really need about a 3" stub shaft to have enough stub in the stinger for good support and enough for a prop and some extra threads.

What's the update on this

I have had many boats and I think most would agree the spartan should remain stock. By the time you start upgrading this and that you could have bought a serious boat.

, we were all there at one point .....just a stronger hull , enough said .
    www.facebook.com/Boaters and Crawlers Durham
    Durham Off Road Rc Club - www.dorc.ca founding member

You going to be Back there if u keep it up. Lol

only if the right pair walks by it will be up for sure
    www.facebook.com/Boaters and Crawlers Durham
    Durham Off Road Rc Club - www.dorc.ca founding member

I was just wondering how high up from stock u mounted the strut and also what did you use to seal the hull/transom . My old boat seemed to have some sort of tar based putty that worked well. Not sure what it would be called though. I would like to mount mine in stock position and still be able to adjust it up and down on the transom if possible

Did you cut down your .78 wire drive or how far back should it be out from the transom/strut.

Thanks for all your help with this

Did you have any issues with the boat after the install. Did it ride any better?

We all have issues with boats. Be specific.

I posted this several years ago. I liked the stock setup better when it was all said and done. That boat is capable of 55 maybe 60 with an expert setup but the hull really can't handle it.

Lol how many issues did you have. Haha. I was wondering if after the strut install it pulled to the right or left? Did you had to change the neg or pos pitch on the strut.