Thread: barr cut amp reduction.

Default barr cut amp reduction.

i did some runs this weekend in my ms geico. have the stock motor with a t120. Tested 3 props a b225 a m445 and a x645 that I modded to a m series. the 225 pulled 90 peak amps and seemed the slowest which i believe is because the prop has too much lift and needs some cupping.

Next the m645 pulled 98 peak amps and seemed to be the fastest.

the m445 pulled the least out of the three at 85 peak amps and didn't seem far off the 645.

So the question i'm asking is... Can i expect a 10% drop in amp consumption if i were to bar cut say the x645 dropping amp consumption to around 90 amps. This will be my first attempt at a barr cut. Is there an approximation for how deep/wide i should make the cut.

Hopefully one of the prop gurus will be willing to share some secrets on prop modding. I have a pitch gauge on the way so hopefully you guys can give me some tips to get started.

Darin if you happen to read this. I'm getting 98 amps on a 645 i remember you saying you ran a 230 and it still wasn't enough so you went bigger. My watts up meter is limited as it doesn't tell me an average amp consumption but only the peak values. Boat seemed fast, but not fast enough.

I was wondering if you had any eagle tree numbers on what props in this range are pulling at wot. I feel like with numbers that high im gonna be using too much battery and the motor will be getting pretty warm with the california sun beating down in mid june.
    Last edited by TheShaughnessy; 03-05-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: redundance

Blank on purpose
    Last edited by TheShaughnessy; 03-05-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: deleted downer

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    im guessing i'll be on my own with the prop modding. Seems this knowledge is too valuable for the forum.
    I think its just impossible to tell you that unless someone has tried that exact thing on that exact setup boat.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Posted at 11:45 pm complaining at 3:15 am! People sleeping maybe? Only the middle of the night and a Sunday.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Peak values occure at start up and are not an indication of motor load at speed. Get an Eagletree data logger, it is far cheaper than motors, ESC and batterys!

I'm just signing on to this as I just started the prop mod thing as well.I do have an Eagle tree.Now if I could get a decent day.

The only way to know is to do it yourself. Then you will know for sure.

I prefer a back cut it over a bar cut - just my .02
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I was a little anxious I guess u could say. Couldn't sleep, just kept thinking about props. Lol. I'll work on my patience skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I think its just impossible to tell you that unless someone has tried that exact thing on that exact setup boat.
    Not looking for exact like, oh yeah you will drop 10 amps for sure. Just something like I generally shave off 5 amps or 15 amps. Just a general approximation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The only way to know is to do it yourself. Then you will know for sure.
    . True to some extent but the right info or bit of advice has the potential to drastically reduce the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by jcald2000 View Post
    Peak values occure at start up and are not an indication of motor load at speed. Get an Eagletree data logger, it is far cheaper than motors, ESC and batterys!
    . I know that is why I listed as peak and not constant. I was rolling on the throttle in an attempt not to spike real hard but I know eagle tree is needed. It is next inline. Just spent a bunch on other parts though So its a couple months out.

I beleive Barr cuts work better on ic engines than electric due the the torque issues at lower rpm which electric dosnt suffer from as much. Ive used Barr cut on electric, cant give you any figures other than it unloaded the motor noticably with more slip slower excelleration & slower top end. For me detonguing & back cutting works better on electric, if you want lower amp draw then i would think Barr cut would probably give that judging by the experience i got.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I believe Barr cuts work better on ic engines than electric due the the torque issues at lower rpm which electric dosnt suffer from as much. Ive used Barr cut on electric, cant give you any figures other than it unloaded the motor noticeably with more slip slower acceleration & slower top end. For me detonguing & back cutting works better on electric, if you want lower amp draw then i would think Barr cut would probably give that judging by the experience i got.
    thank you for an amazing response. Now i can look further into back cutting since i'm not familiar with that.

The Barr cut reduces blade area, so it will reduce amp draw. I prefer back cutting too, but at the LA SAWs last year I needed to reduce blade area quickly without any tools other than a small Dremel - the Barr cut was easy to duplicate on both blades. It freed up the prop and gained me ~3 mph, setting the old Q Offshore record. Later discussions with Mark Grim confirmed that prop loading should be cut noticeably with this mod. But depending on the hull, reducing blade are could reduce prop efficiency enough to slow the boat.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

thank you guys that helps a bunch, i just needed a starting point.

hate to sound stupid but what is a barr cut?i know what a back cut is never heard of the barr cut
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Its easier with a pic & im sure someone will put one on, basically if you take a round file & file into the lowest part of the back edge of the blade so you get a semicircle cut out of the blade.

ok thanks ive seen some square cuts like that....at least i can follow what ya all are talking about now lol

This is a Barr cut. Can be done with a small round file.

DSC03029.JPG

A tip-cut (not pictured) is done with a scalpel and a Rabbi
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

A tip-cut (not pictured) is done with a scalpel and a Rabbi

ouch!!!!! more infomation than i wanted , thanks tony btw...ah no pictures? lol

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    hate to sound stupid but what is a barr cut?i know what a back cut is never heard of the barr cut
    I know what a barr cut is but not sure what a back cut is. I remember there being a real neat prop article that briefly goes over some cuts and cupping but i haven't been able to find it lately. I'll try the tips section now.

Speaking of tip cuts... I think you guys are a little confused, were talking about props, not ........

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    I know what a barr cut is but not sure what a back cut is. I remember there being a real neat prop article that briefly goes over some cuts and cupping but i haven't been able to find it lately. I'll try the tips section now.

Speaking of tip cuts... I think you guys are a little confused, were talking about props, not ........
    A back cut takes away from the trailing edge. More so at the hub and tapers towards the tip.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    Barr-backcut

http://rcboat.com/prop.htm

H50_Collarge_640.jpg