Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seven NEW NAMBA FE SAW Records set this weekend

Darin and I made it back to my place about 8:45 last night. Man can you do a lot of research with a smart phone and a 16 hour drive. You come away from these events trying to catalog everything you've learned.

First of all to Kim Grim, you need to get feeling better, we missed you and not just for the food.

Special thanks to the small group of guys who show up early for setup and stay late to tear it all down again. You know who you are, no names required but I do have an idea for T-shirts.

It was a fantastic event as usual. Conditions were great, we had some afternoon breeze each day but there was plenty of time to break everything you could possibly try to break. I unfortunately tried to break the top of a turtle shell (pesky variations in surface density get me every time! The carp couldn't get it done so they called in the big guns).

Darin's boats ran great. With Darin and Wilmer beating on each other over the last couple years, the N-1 and M classes aren't the low hanging fruit they once were.

Tyler's new boat performed great and it's tough. It even survived a brush with my tree out on the island (not Tyler's fault, bad directions from the orange shirted pit man). That boat is going to be seriously fast with a bit more tweaking.

Then there was the cat herding contingent. First one cat, then three at the next event, now they're all over the place. It's like they're breeding down at that end of the pits! Sorry guys, couldn't help it.

All humor aside, there wasn't a cat hull there that didn't make impressive runs over the weekend. HPR, Fightercat, DeltaForce and H&M were all present. Kevin's HPR135 is one of the most beautifully engineered installations I've seen with some VERY innovative features, congrats and welcome to the SAWs. Tony's 71mph pass with the little drifter was picture perfect. Marks FC really came together on Sunday, anything going 100+ takes work. Boyd's boats ran well after some early event teething pains, we really need to put some good props on that P boat (give me a call, I have an idea).

As for my weekend:
    I've wanted 100+ with the N2 rigger for several years. It's the same boat I've been running since 2008, just an ongoing refinement of the design. Some new electronics helped this year. From last weekend I've got data logs for 20 passes between 93 and 103.6 mph in N2 rigger. It's interesting what you learn when you're not just guessing anymore.

I went back through my paperwork and realized the little red boat had made more than 60 passes over 85 mph. I developed an odd point of view concerning race equipment when I was flying pylon; The first run is really expensive, everything after that it free! That little boat didn't owe me anything, but I will miss it. One thing about losing a boat, it gives you an excuse to build from scratch applying everything you've learned since you built the last. I've learned a bit since 2008. There will be a new N2 boat for October. Guess I better order a motor.

Did I just hear "what, no blistering tunnel passes"? Well, that's a funny story. So Friday just before dusk I put the trusty TS-3 in the water running a different prop for a test. At about 65mph it's still accelerating and blows the tail and stuffs a little violently (I think I may have finally killed the cowl this time). Darin says "I think something came off the boat" and I thought I saw something go skipping across the water as well. Apparently the violent stuff was too mach for the bolts holding the adapter on the lower unit and what we'd seen skipping across the lake was the motor/adapter/coupler/cable exiting the scene of the crime. So, a quick call to Dave at Hyperformance Products and there is an adapter kit waiting for me on the doorstep when I run by his shop after hours. Of course I forgot I'd modded my lower unit a bit and shortened motor shafts etc so when I try to bolt it together Saturday morning with a different motor, it doesn't all fit. Mark Grim takes the adapter home Saturday night and machines it down to what I need. Sunday morning I start putting it all together again with a different kV motor while concentrating on the N2 rigger and helping with the lights and other boats etc. So one shake down run with the heat race prop just to make sure it's all good in the early afternoon, then the wind comes up. Wind keeps cycling through and on my next rotation with smooth water I try for 105 with the N2 hydro and sink the boat. I get one last run just before dark with a new motor/prop combo, picture perfect 71 mph pass with a 70 mph backup. All I was thinking was "that's a little soft", but the new motor prop combo has tons of potential. How quickly we become jaded.

All in all, great friends, fast boats, evil turtles!!!

Now for my NASCAR moment:
    Futaba, CastleCreations, Aquacraft, Neu.
    Thanks for all the help. Nothing like equipment that just plain works.

P.S.
    Terry, Here's a pic of the little rigger. RIP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Well said, Papa. Glad you had a safe and heuristic trip home. And best wishes to Kim. I'm proud and humbled by all the assistance coming from the PNW pits. It takes a big heart to have one say "Here's the prop that'll beat my record, go do it" I'm still all warm and fuzzy from the race so I'll shut up before getting all smarmy.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Here's Kevin and Dad Gilbert's twin HPR in early testing. Engineering at it's best. This end of the lake was too small to let it all hang out. I will permanently have recorded in my memory the sound of that record run (sorry I was sleeping at the video switch when the record run happened).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcebdVcQMdg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

If you must know, here's the PROP ! (being tested out on an FE30 in early developmental stage).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgRzweFct0M

(couldn't resist )

This is the spirit of competition that exists at most FE events I've been to. Dating back to my earliest experience with FE. Makes me proud.

Brian, that N2 looks so simple. I'm sure anybody could do it. hahaha I'll get right on that.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    This is the spirit of competition that exists at most FE events I've been to. Dating back to my earliest experience with FE. Makes me proud.

Brian, that N2 looks so simple. I'm sure anybody could do it. hahaha I'll get right on that.
    Terry,

Show up with some scuba gear; I know where it went down !

CLASSIC! Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    If you must know, here's the PROP ! (being tested out on an FE30 in early developmental stage).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgRzweFct0M

(couldn't resist )

I can't really add much to Tony and Brian's reports (thank you both for the kind words, by the way), other than to say that THIS IS FUN!! I had a frustrating weekend tweaking and tuning and not moving things in the direction I had hoped to, but it's all valuable tuning info that you simply will NOT get in any other format. I think I know where the issues were and should have a handle on them for next time.

I did manage to get ONE perfect pass with my N1 mono, resulting in a 45+mph leg... The backup was average, but good enough for a new record of 40.6, which is pretty good for an N1 Mono. I still think 43-45 is possible and intend to find out.

It was good seeing you all again. Congrats to Tony, Boyd, Mark F., Mark G., Brian, Tyler, and Kevin for the new records! It was fun watching you all make this happen!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Default Brian's N-2 Hydro getting close

96 mph passes ; respectable and leading up to the 103.615 record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wGNAHhh5HU

This is just another reason why I like to run boats at saw events. Half the fun is just getting to hang out with everyone and talk about all our projects. Most of our secrets are revelled if you come out and spend the day with us.

Brian is still the man that impresses the most when it comes to fast electrics. He keeps proving more than anyone else that the right prop will net you so much more than you could imagine. Tyler has really steped up his game up as with his new rigger. Boyd and Kevin are starting to come around and are learning the hard lessons that come with playing with saw boats. Tony shows his perseverance by patiently waiting for the right moment to come. Same goes for Daren for comming all the way down here to play with 1 cell boats that only go 40 mph. This stuff is a blast you guys. You need to see it to believe it.

I came with a boat that I had just finished the week before and only had one day of testing with 4 cell packs. I got my new Dinogy 6 cell packs in the night before the event and only had time to solder plugs on them before ever running them. These batteries took a lot of abuse and are still in perfect condition. I made a lot of passes that resulted in 80 to 90 mph blowovers. With some lead, fuel tubing and tape I managed to keep the boat on the water which resulted into a record each time it did. I too have learned a lot from my experiences and look forward to the next event.

Mark

Default Some unseen moments from the SAW competition

As soon as I began posting vids on youtube of record & near-record runs, I began getting PM's and e-mails asking "what set-ups are these?." I would imagine some people just wanted to know this for pure informational reasons, but I'd bet that some folks want to duplicate these setups on their own builds for the purpose of making cool runs like the ones pictured, unaware of what goes on behind the scenes. I'd say that for every record run, there's at least a half-dozen or more of what's pictured in these vid's. Some are more destructive than others; Boyd lost a $100 dollar hatch , Tyler turned a high-dollar speedy into smelly goo, and poor Brian LOST his 103 mph boat to a curious but unfortunately located Legg turtle ( I can't picture what went through that turtle's mind when he popped his head up and saw a 100+mph missle coming straight at him; Hmm..what the f#*k ? KA-BOINK!) It took me three days of waiting for the water to calm down enough to make the two back-to-back passes for a record-Sunday I sat for EIGHT hours before even trying.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nkk_AWdfI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Rsqt7Vo-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42vpI3yu3Cw
    Last edited by properchopper; 03-06-2012 at 09:20 PM.

WOW! That's air.I hate it when they try to morph into planes.

Default This just in ; Tyler's actual 122.884 Q-Hydro record run

Finally found the vid; notice the sunset- to go this fast without airborne hi-jinks the water needs to be REALLY smooth and usually occurs right before dark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giTKdP20mI8

Congrats to every one!! Wow I am impressed Brian, Mark, Darin, Boyd, Kevin Tyler and Tony. Great work! Wish I was there but I am still not ready and do not want to miss the Nats.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Default Congrats!

Sounds like you guys had a blast down there! Family issues made this the first LA SAWS I've missed in over 7-years.
    My hat goes off to all of you, what hot numbers!

Congradulations guys! I'll see you all in October.
    From what I understand we're gonna' have an Amazing turnout, even a few guests from overseas

-Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    Half the fun is just getting to hang out with everyone and talk about all our projects.
    For me that's about 75% of the fun at every race. That's just me though. Every time I forget that I have a crap time.

I wish there was a good venue for SAW's closer to me.

You and me both. Everytime I read threads like this, it motivates me to participate in a SAW event. Sounds like a great time, both racing and hangin out with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    This is just another reason why I like to run boats at saw events. Half the fun is just getting to hang out with everyone and talk about all our projects. Most of our secrets are revelled if you come out and spend the day with us.

Mark
    This i know is true because i have experienced it. This is one of the reasons i didn't think asking "what prop" would be such a big deal, I wasn't thinking how public the forum was i guess. Tony always seems to be trying to share secrets when you show up to the lake. Only issue is gas is 4.25 and i drive a full size truck, a leg lake trip cost me about 50 bucks right now and 3 hrs of driving. Add that to the 40+ hr work week, 10 hours for school, and still give my GF attention ( she thinks i spend too much time with my boats.) AS as much as i'd like to be at legg every weekend it just makes more sense to rip on the lake i live 10 min from. For now I will continue my testing and i'll see you guys in march for some p spec/sport action. If i have any luck at all (my last name being Shaughnessy means i do) I'll be running the pace with the big dogs and some clean piloting skills will get me a finish in the top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    This i know is true because i have experienced it. This is one of the reasons i didn't think asking "what prop" would be such a big deal, I wasn't thinking how public the forum was i guess. Tony always seems to be trying to share secrets when you show up to the lake. Only issue is gas is 4.25 and i drive a full size truck, a leg lake trip cost me about 50 bucks right now and 3 hrs of driving. Add that to the 40+ hr work week, 10 hours for school, and still give my GF attention ( she thinks i spend too much time with my boats.) AS as much as i'd like to be at legg every weekend it just makes more sense to rip on the lake i live 10 min from. For now I will continue my testing and i'll see you guys in march for some p spec/sport action. If i have any luck at all (my last name being Shaughnessy means i do) I'll be running the pace with the big dogs and some clean piloting skills will get me a finish in the top 3.
    Mike, once I got bit by the racing bug, I had to sell my beautiful customized 9 mpg pickup & buy a newer higher mpg car. (add @ 5K to the cost of racing.) Phoenix is an 850 mile round trip that I've made six times so far. And if I had a GF as fine as yours, I'd spend less water time myself (plus she likes to share the donuts & M&M's). Look forward to seeing you at the race.

I had to sell my beautiful customized 9 mpg pickup & buy a newer higher mpg car.
    See there's where you messed up. You keep the truck, buy a high mpg car for the wife, have her saving money every day so you can afford to drive your earth pig anywhere you want. NO ofcourse you don't tell her that. Works for me. My truck can haul a lot crap too. That thing has survived 4 nationals now. It's been as far as Jersey and CO.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    See there's where you messed up. You keep the truck, buy a high mpg car for the wife, have her saving money every day so you can afford to drive your earth pig anywhere you want. NO ofcourse you don't tell her that. Works for me. My truck can haul a lot crap too. That thing has survived 4 nationals now. It's been as far as Jersey and CO.
    The last wife took off several years ago; couldn't handle my "lifestyle". I'm still missing her. Hopefully my aim will improve.

The only thing about my truck is I need it for work. A Honda civic won't lug around a 1500 lb pallet of tile. Oh yeah I just remembered my gf drives a civic I can take down. Things are looking up. However it is still hard to fit 2-3 boats tools and a set up table in the trunk, but it is possible.

Tony, thanks for the kind words about the lady. 5k to the cost of racing... Makes me feel better, after 500 this last week on chargers motors speedo, etc I feel like I'm still missing stuff. But at least it wasn't 5 grand. Sometimes I wonder I'd I could have had a Lil 21 footer with a 350 in it. Just something about rc though.

The last wife took off several years ago; couldn't handle my "lifestyle". I'm still missing her. Hopefully my aim will improve.
    Brilliant, your a star Tony.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Congrats guy's. I had the SAW bug once. Decided I was already good at burnin stuff up and that I didn't to try to do it. :)

Tony - Your write-ups and videos are great. Our hobby would be dull without you in it.

I thought Legg Lake had a drivers stand. In the video most guy's are walking the shore. Is this a better view for SAW's.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    Congrats guy's. I had the SAW bug once. Decided I was already good at burnin stuff up and that I didn't to try to do it. :)

Tony - Your write-ups and videos are great. Our hobby would be dull without you in it.

I thought Legg Lake had a drivers stand. In the video most guy's are walking the shore. Is this a better view for SAW's.

Doug
    Doug, since many of us SAW guys are old and decrepit, climbing them stairs don't cut it no more.

Thanks for the compliment - I love adding color commentary and pix to the events, after all, I truly are a "Legend in my Own Shower"

It would be wrong not to pay tribute to Mark & Kim Grim's dog Buddy, the original SAW Dog, by whose presence and reassuring demeanor one could spend a moment in quiet repose , stroking his head, and by his soft gaze be reminded that all will be just fine. I'm not kidding, either.

Thanks Buddy !

Zi6_0516.jpg
    Last edited by properchopper; 03-07-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Hey guys finally got a chance to get online and post the official results. First off, what a weekend. The usual suspects were there in full force and as Brian mentioned lots of fast single and twin cats. The weather was pretty good for FE although air density was not optimal the gas and nitro boats although several incredible runs were made in gas sport hydro and gas catamaran. We missed Kim Grim and her wonderful cooking, but good camaraderie and bench racing was plentiful as always.

Many thanks to my fellow Amigos and particularly Brian for help and racers who took part in the SAW event.

Here are the official results. I have left out the hull/motor/battery/prop details in the chance the record setters don’t want it disclosed although the details will be on the NAMBA website once it’s updated.

RECORD TYPE 1/16 MILE STRAIGHTAWAY
    CLASS P LTD OFFSHORE
    NAME TONY HELLER
    DATE 03/04/2012
    SECONDS 3.320
    MPH 67.771

CLASS P OFFSHORE
    NAME BOYD MARSHALL
    DATE 03/04/2012
    SECONDS 2.629
    MPH 85.581

CLASS Q OFFSHORE
    NAME MARK FERREIRA
    DATE 03/04/2012
    SECONDS 2.205
    MPH 102.041

CLASS T OFFSHORE
    NAME KEVIN U
    DATE 03/04/2012
    SECONDS 2.124
    MPH 105.932

CLASS N1- MONO
    NAME DARIN JORDAN
    DATE 03/03/2012
    SECONDS 5.54
    MPH 40.61

CLASS G1- CATAMARAN
    NAME BRENT DAILY
    DATE 03/04/2012
    SECONDS 2.754
    MPH 81.69

CLASS G1-SPORT HYDRO
    NAME MARK GRIM
    DATE 03/04/2012
    SECONDS 2.336
    MPH 96.31

CLASS Q HYDRO
    NAME TYLER GARRARD
    DATE 03/04/2012
    SECONDS 1.831
    MPH 122.88

CLASS N2- HYDRO
    NAME BRIAN BUASS
    DATE 03/03/2012
    SECONDS 2.178
    MPH 103.3

Sorry Tony. For the record.....I would NOT recomend getting one as a cost saving measure. UnLESS she's loaded. Then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post

Doug
    Doug,
    The 2-lap/heat race area is at the far left end of the SAW course, it's nicest stand I've been on. It faces East. Glare, only early morning. June water temp, low 70's. The course is a legal 1/6 mile for gas/nitro, but I believe the corners are slightly larger with correspondingly shorter straits. I don't believe it's a record legal FE heat racing course (we just had too be different).
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

In case you missed the other forum post :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVENEnlwSaY

The nicely shaded pit area on a "busy" day (not shown, the bathroom building just feet away - no bicycle needed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwGEJBWg--E

A view of the course at water level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ixeztr-wE

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast