Thread: Need some repair help here

Default Need some repair help here

OK, so new to the hobby but not to boats - real that is and i did a dumb thing yesterday! Imagine that! Now I realize that my little mystic is not going to stay perfect and I am ok with that but some dumb ass took his eye of the boat when his buddy hollered about something and this dumb ass ran his but up on the rock bank! His shinny new 445 prop took alittle beating - that was easy polished and rubber wheeled out - but the tips of one sponson took a little DING!

So,,,, this dumb ass needs some help gettting the point back on it and then repainting so he is not embarrased at the lake next to his buddies perefectly waxed and shinned MG! Anybody got and tips or help for this dumb ass - ME

Thanks
    Chris

Well the good news is that the boat is white and you're bound to clip something,marker buoys are good.Any pics of the damage?It's fibreglass,anything can be fixed.When I saw the thread I thought you were gonna be another person whom ripped apart the transom.Thats a bigger fix.

Ill post some pics tonight, but your right I know it can be fixed just dont know the best way to do it, especially to get the point back??? Thanks
    c

I would use masking tape to form up and around the tip.Just a starting idea but it depends how bad this is.May not be able to do it in one cure.I'll know better when I see a pic.I'll work with you on it.I'm a master of getting things done without a full shop to do things in.
    I blew the back off this and cracked the seam,it used to be a Geico
    Fightercat 007.jpgturbine 006.jpg

Do you have any resin/epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Well the good news is that the boat is white and you're bound to clip something,marker buoys are good.Any pics of the damage?It's fibreglass,anything can be fixed.When I saw the thread I thought you were gonna be another person whom ripped apart the transom.Thats a bigger fix.

Just ask Shawn how he knows that!!!! LOL.
    Miss Geico CC1515 2200kv T180 2S2S- Twin Genesis with 2 2700kv 2 T180's 4S2P- Stiletto with 2030kv T120 4S1P-DF33 4082 1600kv T180 6S2P- and lots of gassers!

Did we lose you here?

NO, thanks i am here, just work and the tornados over here have slowed me down a bit my plan is to use some putty to take an impression of the tip of my boats MG and then fill the cap with the resin. What should i use to fill it up. i will take a picture here in a minute and post it. Thanks for all the help!

Crap sorry man.I didn't realize you were in the line of fire down there.Everything OK so far?

Thanks, we are good! What epoxy should i get and i have blown my battery trays out so i have to fix that also any help you can give me on that would be great, not used to glass repairs, thanks but after this little boat looks like i will be! :)
    c

Quote Originally Posted by cmorris View Post
    That doesn't look so bad.I think I would just mix some epoxy and put it over the chip(looks like you only lost some gelcoat).If you get some on it right away while the epoxy is thin it will soak in better.Then add some as the epoxy sets a bit (thickens).Keep playing with that until enough will sit on the tip.See if you can place the boat nose down,it'll help.What kind of epoxy do you have? And what is pic 3?Ask if this seems unclear.

Thanks, we are good! What epoxy should i get and i have blown my battery trays out so i have to fix that also any help you can give me on that would be great, not used to glass repairs, thanks but after this little boat looks like i will be! :)
    c
    Mmm,I like 24 hour stuff best,but if you could find some that would take a couple hours that would be fine.I don't know what you have around you for stores but everyone seems to like Z-poxy.Haven't seen it in Canada.I started with Cold Cure and found small packages of it handy.Now I buy System Three a litre at a time.

c
    Before you put the trays back in make sure you sand with 80 grit where it will be bonded.

OK, Thanks alot, i have seen folks glass in the trays or using glass matt to secure them, any thoughts on that

I would not cover over the trays as the slots are sweet for velcro straps.You have some don't you? I don't remember if they come with the boat.Axial ones from they hobby store work great if not.

This is your first boat eh,got the bug?Just curious before you do anything permanent.

Thanks alot, yes this is my first rc boat, i have a couple of the big boys. I am looking forward to running it along side the run about and while chilling on the houseboat! Thanks for all the help - im going to need it!

IMG_0652.jpgGirls by boat.jpg

Houseboats are fun.We used to use a pontoon one in Okanagan lake.And a blown small block flat bottom.Wahoo

my Impulse took a dive and hit a concrete pad under the water last year. mixed some resin and filled the damaged area. sanded down and painted just the tip of the nose. Its worked flawless
    DSCN06721024x768.jpg

If you don't glass the trays in, they won't stay in. Both of mine popped off the hull before she ever got wet, so I stuck 'em back in with West epoxy. They both came loose, along with the rest of the wood, when I nailed a fountain head with mine. Everything is glassed in with 1/2" tape and epoxy now. They aren't going anywhere.