Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC 1480-1800kv vs Leopard 4082 1800kv

Default CC 1480-1800kv vs Leopard 4082 1800kv

Just ordered what seems to be a direct replacement for the Spartan motor from OSE. It says that they are custom wound for OSE, but doesn't specify whether it's D or Y wind. I'm curious because since I'm running the Seaking 180 at 15* advance, I want to know if I need to change that setting when using the new motor. Anybody tried this setup before? I know some have dropped the kv to 1600-1700, but I went with what was available and believe I can make it work.

Also, efficiency/quality wise, where does the Leopard stand against the CC Spartan motor. I know CC makes good stuff, but is this a possible rebrand?

I assume you bought a Leopard since you didnt say. When I asked Steve about timing with a motor I recently bought, he said to start at 7.5 degrees. The type of wind is unknown, so start with low timing. You should prob even start lower around 3 degrees just to be safe. Run the boat, check temps very often. If all is good, move up to the next timing increase. I wouldnt surpass 11 degrees if all goes well.

Yes, just realized I didn't specify. It's the Leopard 4082 1800kv.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRhino24 View Post
    Just ordered what seems to be a direct replacement for the Spartan motor from OSE. It says that they are custom wound for OSE, but doesn't specify whether it's D or Y wind. I'm curious because since I'm running the Seaking 180 at 15* advance, I want to know if I need to change that setting when using the new motor. Anybody tried this setup before? I know some have dropped the kv to 1600-1700, but I went with what was available and believe I can make it work.

Also, efficiency/quality wise, where does the Leopard stand against the CC Spartan motor. I know CC makes good stuff, but is this a possible rebrand?
    Not much of a direct replacement unless you are taking fitment. The 4082 is a bigger and longer can with quite a bit more power than the stock spartan motor. You will also need to get a larger cooling jacket to fit the new motor. Stock Spartan I believe is a 1600kv and you are going 1800kv. This will be rather high rpms on 6s so do not go there unless you feel lucky. As for efficiency the Spartan is only a 2 pole whereas the leopard is a 4 pole making it more efficient by design. Nice motor combo for the Spart and should scream on 4S with the right prop.

Got the free Leopard cooling jacket (Long) so we should be good in that dept. So you're saying that with the Seaking 180a, Leopard 4082-1800kv, Octura x442 b/s, and 6s2p 40c Zippys that we could go nuclear? I'm pretty sure that the current motor is 1800kv after the Castle Creations upgrades. That's why I was considering this a drop in swap for a more efficient motor.

Just doing the math, 22.2 x 1800 = 39,960 rpm. A little hot for a Spartan if you ask me. You would be much better running that on 4S IMHO. Not sure what they did to the upgraded motor and as far as I know they added some caps to the esc which seemed to have solved most issues however the motor I do believe was unchanged except for the castle stamp. (both esc were castle even first run however not labeled so) Don't quote me on this as I do not know for sure however this is what I have read time and time again.

Personally I will be testing a 4082 in the Spart come spring however I am using the HK Turnigy version and 1600kv which is about as high as I want to go on 6S.

Uh oh. Oh well, it should be fun for as long as it lasts anyways. I'll back the timing down and work up while checking temps. I still think I can get 60mph out of this thing reliably somehow. If not, I'm going to build a fightercat that will.

Run it 4s with a larger prop and I bet you will see 60 reliably. Nothing wrong with what you got except maybe a little too much kv to run on 6S. Then again like most Spartan owners like myself, you probably invested in a few sets of 3s batts and want use those right?

I got the 4082 1800 too but haven't been able to try it. I also have seaking 180. Steven couldn't tell me the wind but suggested 7.5 to start

I will be running 5s2p btw

Quote Originally Posted by Snowride View Post
    Run it 4s with a larger prop and I bet you will see 60 reliably. Nothing wrong with what you got except maybe a little too much kv to run on 6S. Then again like most Spartan owners like myself, you probably invested in a few sets of 3s batts and want use those right?
    Yeah, I've got a 4s, 5s, and 2x6s setups. I got 47mph on 5s and 57 on 6s on the stock components. Stock ESC gave up. Seaking is getting 53mph consistantly on 6s. I just thought a little more efficiency would get me to that magic number. I'm beefing the driveline before the motor swap with a Wohlt .150, Octura liner, and Octura coupler. I'll start at 7.5 and post some results.

Not much of a direct replacement unless you are taking fitment. The 4082 is a bigger and longer can with quite a bit more power than the stock spartan motor. You will also need to get a larger cooling jacket to fit the new motor. Stock Spartan I believe is a 1600kv and you are going 1800kv. This will be rather high rpms on 6s so do not go there unless you feel lucky. As for efficiency the Spartan is only a 2 pole whereas the leopard is a 4 pole making it more efficient by design. Nice motor combo for the Spart and should scream on 4S with the right prop.
    It depends on which Spartan he has, first generation was 1600kv, Second Generation, which I think he has because he references the CC motor, is 1800kv.

I ran a 3674 1700 kv Turnigy 180 setup with no issues at all, but tried a Leopard 3674 2000kv and burned up the ESC after 2-3 runs.

The 4082 1800kv kind of slots in between, so you might run without problems on 6S, but in my opinion you are starting to tip the scales toward higher risk of melt down.

I tried running a CC1515 2200kv motor with the Turnigy 180 on 5S toward the end of the season last year and so far (touch wood) it has been reliable.

My daughters Spartan has been running the Leopard 4082 1600kv / T180 for some time now, and it has proved to be very solid on 6S.

Kevin

PS checked the Leopard website and the 4082 1800kv is not listed, so as Steven said it is a custom wind, with no info available on Leopards site.

If 1800kv is in fact the case on the newer ones, no wonder that are still having issues!! Like I mentioned before, just doing the math comes to a hair under 40,000 rpm. Not recommended from everything I have seen so far except for SAW. IMHO that is just plain dumb in a RTR beginners boat. If they changed anything they should have dropped it a couple hundred KV as opposed to increasing it. What were they thinking? Wait a minute, just figured it out. They needed to make the boat do 50mph as advertised to avoid a possible law suit. Does not mean it needs to last very long though.

My daughters Spartan has been running the Leopard 4082 1600kv / T180 for some time now, and it has proved to be very solid on 6S.
    What prop are you using on this and what speeds are you getting with this setup? How long do you think a set of 6000mah 3s Nano's will run? I will not be using the Leopard but I have to assume the HK version is pretty much the same. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FInrunner.html

FYI, The little project I have going with the Spartan tray is going to be great. A little busy right now to take care of it but my proto-type seems to work perfect for fitment. May consider making a few dozen and selling them to those interested. You sir helped me out with soo much valuable info when I first got my Spartan, I will send one to you for free. Cheers.
    Last edited by Snowride; 02-29-2012 at 05:59 AM.

If 1800kv is in fact the case on the newer ones, no wonder that are still having issues!! Like I mentioned before, just doing the math comes to a hair under 40,000 rpm. Not recommended from everything I have seen so far except for SAW. IMHO that is just plain dumb in a RTR beginners boat. If they changed anything they should have dropped it a couple hundred KV as opposed to increasing it. What were they thinking? Wait a minute, just figured it out. They needed to make the boat do 50mph as advertised to avoid a possible law suit. Does not mean it needs to last very long though.

What prop are you using on this and what speeds are you getting with this setup? How long do you think a set of 6000mah 3s Nano's will run? I will not be using the Leopard but I have to assume the HK version is pretty much the same. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FInrunner.html

FYI, The little project I have going with the Spartan tray is going to be great. A little busy right now to take care of it but my proto-type seems to work perfect for fitment. May consider making a few dozen and selling them to those interested. You sir helped me out with soo much valuable info when I first got my Spartan, I will send one to you for free. Cheers.
    Yup Not sure what they were thinking.

We experimented with a variety of props but pretty much settled in with the Prather 215. Speeds are consistently in the mid to high 40's on Eagle Tree GPS. We found, as many others have that running the Spartan much faster it gets unstable anyway, so she kind of gave up on maximum speed and settled for maximum fun. Also we run on a fairly big lake and water conditions are seldom perfect, so top speed isn't often attainable anyway.

I still experiment with mine, different motors, different props etc. but I'm a glutton for punishment.

Looking forward to seeing what you are up to with the tray mods.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    Yup Not sure what they were thinking.

We experimented with a variety of props but pretty much settled in with the Prather 215. Speeds are consistently in the mid to high 40's on Eagle Tree GPS. We found, as many others have that running the Spartan much faster it gets unstable anyway, so she kind of gave up on maximum speed and settled for maximum fun. Also we run on a fairly big lake and water conditions are seldom perfect, so top speed isn't often attainable anyway.

I still experiment with mine, different motors, different props etc. but I'm a glutton for punishment.

Looking forward to seeing what you are up to with the tray mods.

Kevin
    That is a tiny prop for such a powerhouse motor, no wonder it is rock solid. Kinda like running in first gear all the time. You will need to install a heater on the components to keep things from freezing up? I really think that it would be as reliable with a larger prop and upper 50,s easily attainable. I will not be shooting for top speed either, rather monitor temps all around and let the temps determine how fast it will go. Would like to keep things sub 120 all around.

I've been getting 53-54mph consistantly with the SK180a and stock CC motor (1800KV). Temps have been in the low 100's. The biggest issue is for whatever reason, the stuffing tube has been spitting grease back into the hull. I suspect that the drive cable is taking a turn for the worse. I ordered one of Wohlts .078 drive wires and a speedmaster stinger/strut to solidify the driveline. Some of that heat could be coming from the driveline going bad. Anyone ever had grease come back into the hull rather than being augered out? I'm also going to get a RX battery pack today. Couldn't hurt to take it a little easier on the ESC.

You shouldnt be getting alot of grease in the hull. If the motor is turning the wrong direction, it will force grease inside. I doubt you are running the motor backwards. Is there teflon in the stuffing tube? What size is the stuffing tube?

It's both the stock stuffing tube and liner. I've got an Octura liner coming. The only thing I can figure is that the motor wasn't perfectly aligned with the stuffing tube. I notice also that the liner had gotten longer by about 1/4". I'm guessing it was getting pinched at the opening somewhere.

That is a tiny prop for such a powerhouse motor, no wonder it is rock solid. Kinda like running in first gear all the time. You will need to install a heater on the components to keep things from freezing up? I really think that it would be as reliable with a larger prop and upper 50,s easily attainable. I will not be shooting for top speed either, rather monitor temps all around and let the temps determine how fast it will go. Would like to keep things sub 120 all around.
    It probably would. We have run bigger props, in addition to Prather 225 and and Octura X642, we have also played around with some three blade props on both Spartans. But my daughter finds it more fun to run, than to retrieve and repair, so she is happy with a bit less speed, and decent reliability.

I run the same setup, T180 and Leopard 4082 1600kv in my Fightercat / Genesis hull with an X642 and it is fast. So far the electrics are reliable on 6S but the problem is I can't keep the crappy 4mm 2 piece drive lines in it for more than a run or two.

I have some parts on order from OSE that I'm hoping will allow me to modify to run a standard one piece 3/16" shaft and .150 cable with better reliability.

Kevin

I will be making a few changes and one will be the mediocre strut they have on the Spart. Bought a couple of these and for the price, they are a steal. Really well made and high quality stuff. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r%5FDrive.html They take a standard 3/16" shaft so things get more standard. Only problem is the portion where the brass tube slips into it quite big but a small piece of teflon tube to act as a sleeve so it will take the standard 1/4" brass tube. I twisted my stock drive cable on maybe the 3rd run of my new Spart and ordered Jeff Wohlts replacement. Never had an issue for the entire summer. Obviously this is working for me so I will stick with his stuff. I have also considered the piano wire stuff and actually have an untried one lying in my tool box. I am a believer in teflon liners for added friction reduction when grease wears thin. I also grease at least after every 4+ battery drains.
    Last edited by Snowride; 02-29-2012 at 08:20 PM.

WOW. The Leopard showed up today and that thing looks like a beast. They threw me a curve though as the bullets were 6mm. Luckily they supplied the females. I'm waiting on the speedmaster stinger/strut, octura liner, and prop nut before I put it in the water. It's probably going to be a week before the wire drive shows up, but I have a Wohlt .150 on hand. I also swapped from a BEC to a RX battery. This should take a little load off of the ESC. If this works out, it could be a 60mph Spartan that doesn't blow up.

Nice that Leopard has upgraded the size if the bullet connectors. Unless that is an upgrade requested by Steven on his special orders.

I was swapping mine out for larger Castle Creations connectors, which I think are probably about 6mm.

Kevin

I just noticed steven posted the wind on this motor. 3.5D

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I just noticed steven posted the wind on this motor. 3.5D
    Good catch Dana. It wasn't there a day ago. So where does that put my timing to start with? 5-7.5*? I know there was a thread somewhere, but all I can remember is that D likes less timing than Y.

Nice that Leopard has upgraded the size if the bullet connectors. Unless that is an upgrade requested by Steven on his special orders.

I was swapping mine out for larger Castle Creations connectors, which I think are probably about 6mm.

Kevin
    I special order the motors with larger bullets and vented cans now.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I special order the motors with larger bullets and vented cans now.
    A wise way to do things

A wise way to do things
    I have to give Steven some more props (no pun intended) on his outstanding customer service as well. I am an inpulsive buyer and sometimes end up making multiple purchases on a whim. Well, on my stinger/strut order and another miscellaneous order placed at different times, Steven proactively combined shipping and issued a refund for the overpayment. It wasn't expected but was very much appreciated. My LHS treats boaters (or at least me) like lepers. They've seen me for the last time as well as my money. If it weren't for this site, OSE, and others like Kintec Racing, I would have sold the boat already and moved on to another hobby.

After the first batch of motors we switched. The 4mm bullets they use weaken easily with heat. All the 4082 motors now have the larger connectors and vented cans. A few 3674 & 4074 motors still have the 4mm connectors. I'd estimate at this point 98% of the motors that leave OSE now have the larger connectors. Especially the more popular windings.
    Steven Vaccaro

I have to give Steven some more props (no pun intended) on his outstanding customer service as well.
    Glad I could help.
    Steven Vaccaro

I have to give Steven some more props (no pun intended) on his outstanding customer service as well. I am an inpulsive buyer and sometimes end up making multiple purchases on a whim. Well, on my stinger/strut order and another miscellaneous order placed at different times, Steven proactively combined shipping and issued a refund for the overpayment. It wasn't expected but was very much appreciated. My LHS treats boaters (or at least me) like lepers. They've seen me for the last time as well as my money. If it weren't for this site, OSE, and others like Kintec Racing, I would have sold the boat already and moved on to another hobby.
    Ditto.

Steven ships fast and orders are always accurate.
    The two LHS here are good folks, but RC boats take a back seat to planes and cars.
    The vast majority of my rc purchasing is done on-line out of necessity and I appreciate that there are quality vendors that value customer service.

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast