Thread: Need P-Mono Pursuit 4082 2180KV Prop Advice

Default Need P-Mono Pursuit 4082 2180KV Prop Advice

Hi all,

I am new to racing and am competing in the Winter Warmups here in Scottsdale today and tomorrow. I am running a Pursuit with a TP4082 2180KV with a SeaKing 180Amp ESC. I was running a S/B Prather 230 until I lost it and the prop shaft in a crash with another boat. The motor temp was never above 112 and the ESC was 90. So I think I can prop up, but is that best? Here are the props I have available to put on for the races tomorrow: M447 , X645, M645, and a X450. Any suggestions? I am running 40C 4S2P 5,000MAH. (10,000 total MAH)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwink View Post
    Hi all,

I am new to racing and am competing in the Winter Warmups here in Scottsdale today and tomorrow. I am running a Pursuit with a TP4082 2180KV with a SeaKing 180Amp ESC. I was running a S/B Prather 230 until I lost it and the prop shaft in a crash with another boat. The motor temp was never above 112 and the ESC was 90. So I think I can prop up, but is that best? Here are the props I have available to put on for the races tomorrow: M447 , X645, M645, and a X450. Any suggestions? I am running 40C 4S2P 5,000MAH. (10,000 total MAH)
    I ran a m645 on my Pursuit with a Leopard 4074 2200kv. It was working the system pretty hard but was darn fast. You have larger rotor and more amps available from the batts. Shouldn't have any problems spinning that m645 especially if you spun a s230 without any issues. A 225 might not be a bad fit either. Jmho

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Thanks Diesel!

Be carefull. The motor might like that prop but the Seaking 180 might have something to say about it. If you're new to racing, go conservative with the prop, learn how to run the buoys and in traffic. You'll soon learn the fastest boat doesn not always win the heat.

Have Fun and let us know how things worked out for you!

Chilli, thanks for your input. Driving around buoys, in traffic, with a lot of chop, has been a huge learning experience for me! We have really tight turns without much room here so, I learned to slow down going through the turns, and try to hold my lane. That being said, this is were I get confused about props. If the Prather 230 has a total pitch of 3.0" and a M645 has a total pitch of 2.832, wouldn't I be propping down with the M645?

I run a 4082 in my pursuit with a 200a Swordfish for some extra "room".................i spin an m445 for low 50's on speed.................but i'm also running 2p, the 4082 can draw some big amps.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Blade shape also is a big factor in determining load on you equipment. I've never used Prather props but I know ABC props that have the same numbers as an Octura put much more load on the motor. I don't have personal experience with your motor and thats why I didnt recommend a specific prop.

My suggestion was just a general statement I tell all new racers. Many times I've seen new guys more worried about having the fastest boat rather than learning how to race. Looks like you have experience running the course and in traffic so thats great. I suggested you go conservative on the prop because race day can be a bad time to experiment. I don't want you to burn anything up because racing isnt fun if your sitting on the sidelines. Plus there is a chance a different style of prop is going to mess up your boat handling which will require a change in set up. The faster you go, the worst the problem can be.

Good Luck!!

I totally agree with everyhting you say. The last thing I want to do is fry my ESC and not get to race. But here is my problem, the final races are tomorrow, I only have these 4 props here, now, a M447 , X645, M645, and a X450. Am I correct to assume, that out of these 4 props, the M447 is the most conservative, and subsequently, safest, of the four?

i to use the m445 on t180 4074 2200kv motor no heat issues at all...i may try a m545 soon
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

I ran a 4082 last week with a t180 and a m645 and it pulled more amps than I was comfortable with for that esc just my opinion I found the 445 was a great prop letting the motor get some nice rpm's with speeds around 56 mph

Good to know, but I don't have a 445. I will try the M447. I will have time in the morning to test it and check temps before the race

Bullwink................cut your m447 down to 45mm................then rebalance. Didnt know they made an m447 btw, unless you detongued it.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Good idea. I got the m447 from OSE Sharpened, Balanced and Detounged. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=octsb-m447

No, cut down the x450 to 448 and detounge, lighten sharpen and balance... I'tll fly...

So how did it go today BW??

I'd be very interested to see how that motor performs.
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

The motor (TP4082. 2180KV, M447 prop) performed flawlessly under racing conditions. Although the driver did not perform so well, only finishing one race out of 9. Lol. I checked the temps after completing the 6 lap race and the motor temp was 98F, ESC (SK180) was 128 and batts were 92.

The motor (TP4082. 2180KV, M447 prop) performed flawlessly under racing conditions. Although the driver did not perform so well, only finishing one race out of 9. Lol. I checked the temps after completing the 6 lap race and the motor temp was 98F, ESC (SK180) was 128 and batts were 92.
    I'm gonna need you to run that thing in a straight line and let me know the Top Speed.

I put my Garmin GPS in it after the last race and ran it. It came in at 46.7mph. However, the boat is not totally set up right, I was running a little wet to be conservative. Also, I think I can do better with a differnt prop. I have some on order form OSE that I should get tomorrow. I will be taking it out this weekend to test, and I will let you know the results.

I put my Garmin GPS in it after the last race and ran it. It came in at 46.7mph. However, the boat is not totally set up right, I was running a little wet to be conservative. Also, I think I can do better with a differnt prop. I have some on order form OSE that I should get tomorrow. I will be taking it out this weekend to test, and I will let you know the results.
    Yeah that stinger angle can make a huge difference. On my Cyber Storm 33 I had 33mph with too much negative angle and 45MPH with too much positive angle. Its going quite a bit faster now with correct angle but my GPS hasn't worked since.
    Look forward to the results. Should see in the 50s

Hi Drax, I put a Swordfish 240A in my Pursuit with a M545 yesterday, Unfortunately, my servo mount came loose and I was not able to run it. (Well, it did go 36.7 mph in circles LOL). I will try again on the weekend.