Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cad/cam and Machining Services

Default Cad/cam and Machining Services

I have 27 years in the machining and tooling industry. I now have a Haas vmc in my shop and also do design and drafting work. If you have a couple components or thousands of them that you need help with I would be happy to quote a price for manufacture. My rates are very reasonable and I provide a professional service.

First thing you can do is start making your hardware again!!!!!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    First thing you can do is start making your hardware again!!!!!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

+1 on the Solinger HW
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

WOOHOO THE SEXY HARDWARE IS BACK! Can we get it in various sizes?

For those that don't know what we're talking about...

2012-01-09 18.58.16.jpg
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Way cool looking Hardware!

New hardware is in the pipeline.

AWESOME Joe!! I can't wait to see it.

Will you continue the best line of HW on the planet? See pics above.

An improved version of the hydro and mono set will be the first out, just the one size. An outboard is to come later.

I can't wait to see them Joe!!

A couple size hydro turnfins and mounting brackets are needed. A two hole mounting bracket with elongated top bolt hole for inward angle adjustability.

Joe, it's great to see you online again. I hope all is well. Write me down for one of the hydro sets, but I'd like a narrower nose for wire drive. Do you makes struts with bearings? I seem to remember you did that for a few of your personal models.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Too bad nobody makes a skegged strut to fit a MissGeico, hint, hint.... HINT!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hi Meniscus, good to see you too. Ball bearing struts with changable noses? I've got a design for them but it still needs work.

Hi Ray. Well, my list is realy long but if I catch up I'll run some.

Joe, I have a big prop balancer that has adjustable cones for different sized prop shafts. These cones with thumb screws make it impossible for me to balance the floating shaft, before putting a prop on it. I would have to balance each part individually due to the design of taking it apart and putting it back in a different position each time you work the prop. I only use 3/16" props, so it would be great to have just a 3/16" shaft perfectly balanced with machined end points.002.jpg013.jpg015.jpg016.jpg

Guys please don't say get a TFL balancer, because I have one and the finish on the magnets has come off in less than 6 months. 010.jpg012.jpg

Shafts are the main difficulty. Kintec has been trying to get a machine shop to do the precision grinding required for these kinds of shafts.

I'm not shure if you could do it by machining, it may not be true. Precision circular grinding is a bit of an art. I have been thinking to attempt this but, I don't have the right machines.

Quote Originally Posted by riptide1 View Post
    Joe, I have a big prop balancer that has adjustable cones for different sized prop shafts. These cones with thumb screws make it impossible for me to balance the floating shaft, before putting a prop on it. I would have to balance each part individually due to the design of taking it apart and putting it back in a different position each time you work the prop. I only use 3/16" props, so it would be great to have just a 3/16" shaft perfectly balanced with machined end points.002.jpg013.jpg015.jpg016.jpg
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray, I'm glad to hear others have discovered this need. My props would be a little better if I could get more precision from the balancer tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Shafts are the main difficulty. Kintec has been trying to get a machine shop to do the precision grinding required for these kinds of shafts.

I'm not shure if you could do it by machining, it may not be true. Precision circular grinding is a bit of an art. I have been thinking to attempt this but, I don't have the right machines.

@ riptide what make is this balancer and where did u get it thanks Chris g
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide1 View Post

Chris, here's the link ...http://www.whhonline.com/product-p/acc25.htm I really like the big high power neodymium magnets with a nice finish ...now if only I could find someone to knock out a 3/16" shaft for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg81983 View Post
    @ riptide what make is this balancer and where did u get it thanks Chris g

All you need is any surface grinder and a whirly gig.

Put the shaft in a collet, put it on the magnet at some angle, use side of grinding wheel. Set the part by side of wheel. Raise wheel, push part out a bit. Start grinder and bring the wheel down slowly. You will probably get a nice size radius on the wheel if you are doing alot. Just a few shouldnt hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Basstronics View Post
    All you need is any surface grinder and a whirly gig.

Put the shaft in a collet, put it on the magnet at some angle, use side of grinding wheel. Set the part by side of wheel. Raise wheel, push part out a bit. Start grinder and bring the wheel down slowly. You will probably get a nice size radius on the wheel if you are doing alot. Just a few shouldnt hurt.
    I thought of this too or using my lathe and a dremel. I don't know the dremel runout tolerances though..
    Nortavlag Bulc

How would you attach the dremel?

Runout, probably not very good.

Any metal lather with a carbide bit will push/distort the material close to the point. Hi speed steel is WAAAAYYYY sharper, but to get a good point you gotta be dead center. Which as you know never happens.

Do you have an OD grinding attachment for your lathe?

I guess the technical name for the "whirly gig" is a punch former. Every shop Ive worked in has had one.

http://www.machinetools.net.tw/parts...nch_former.htm

4:45 mark or so

I would have made a "whirly gig" to try it on my lathe but, I have some nice shafts.

You can get new good quality magnets to replace what has gone bad from China.

http://www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=37&page=3

...and for $12 you can get a fairly decent shaft (w/whole balancer) but, the shaft is 3mm from China.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I guess what I'm confused about is, why not just use a tiger paw on the grinder? I would think that you could start with any shaft that is true and work from there. As long as the shaft is spinning, I don't see the issue. I'm probably missing something here in translation. After all, how many of us truly profile the blades, not to mention the cupping or thickness? In my book, I think that would matter more. Plus most folks use bushings. That means you've got a certain level of deflection at speed anyway. That's one of the main reasons why I've gone to bearings in the strut. Yeah, it's considerably more expensive, but I've never had an issue with them, as long as you break them in first prior to running.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

What length do you need from point to point?

Joe,

90mm is what it has now. I know that drill blanks are sometimes sold in 3 1/2" lengths which is 88.9mm and would be close enough. I can ship the balancer and/or the rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by J Solinger View Post
    What length do you need from point to point?

Default dual rudder setup

Hi Joe
    Looks like you do incredible work.
    I need help on a dual rudder setup. I need to attach a steering linkage to the water passages of 2 rudders, and keep the water flow from the pickups. Im thinking if you can make me a threaded tube to screw in, I can attach the link to that and put the coolant hose on last. Here is a rough pic of what Im going for...
    002.jpg
    I was hoping you could open up the hole and re-thread it to a larger size, but Im not sure there is enough room.
    If you have a better Idea, or if I can clarify in any way let me know. If I can get a "round about" price that would be great
    Thanks,
    Jeremiah

Hi Jeremiah. What size thread is in there now? Maybe we can come up with something quick and easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast