Thread: Graupner Prop sizes?

Question Graupner Prop sizes?

Hey Guys,

I am looking at props for my fastech as my stock one needs replacing and rather than getting another stock one I figured I would look into other options.. I know the X642 is the best for this boat when upgrading, but don't feel like spending a lot on a sharpened and balanced one, so I have been looking at the Graupner CF props here on OSE since they are cheap.

My question is what is the best size to use if I were to try this kind of prop? I can't find any that have the same diameter and pitch as the x642..the two that are close are the 42mm or the 45mm, however they either have too much diameter with the right amount of pitch, or the right diameter but too little pitch.

So stock prop is 1.6 x 2.5

X642 is 1.65 x 2.64 (which is the one everyone says is the best for this boat)

42mm is 1.65 x 2.31 (is this too little pitch?)

45mm is 1.77 x 2.5 (is this one too big in diameter?)

Hell I am even willing to get both if either will work, but there is no point in just wasting $6 on a prop that is not good for the boat and will never be used.

Then again, perhaps none of the graupner props are a good fit for the boat and I am best just getting a stock replacement til I have some money for a x642, but I wanted to check with those of you with knowledge on this.

The boat has the stock motor and esc and running on 2 x 2s 25c 5000mah lipos

Thank you.
    The Speeders *PB SW 26 BL *PB Formula FASTech
    The Cruiser *CBM Marlin Cruiser
    The Pool Toys *Proboat Mini-C (x2)

VP,

I wouldn't go with the CF props. They flex under load and break. All lead to lower speeds or no running...

Go with either the X642, GR 42x55 or the Prather S215. All are good replacements, but cost a bit more. I run the Prather and it is really great. Little bit of cavitation out of the hole, but once it bites, she rips. Nice rooster too. (I have all stock 4S setup) These recommendations are all supported thoughout this thread as well. Read through and confirm to your satisfaction, but I ran the CF first, then the S215. Great improvement. Smoother, quieter and faster....

Make sense?

Sean

Well I do eventually plan to go with an x642 but right now I just don't have $50 to spend on a S/B prop

That is why I was wondering which CF prop to go with, or if maybe I should just pick up another stock prop to hold me over til I can afford to get a X642. If none of the Graupner props are going to do me any better than a stock prop, then I maybe am just better of going stock again.

Thanks for you input though. I will look into those other props you listed too when the time comes to get a "good" prop

I hear you.

The 45mm don't seem too out of the realm, but I have no experience with them.

You know the other option is the metal replacement for the Fastech. I think its also the Stilleto prop. Similar to the 642, but again, I am not positive. The Proboat website has them for I think $10. But I would think if you stick to the 42mm range, it will get you by.

If you are stuck on Graupner, I would get the 42mm. But if I had the choice between the Proboat metal prop or the CF, I would go metal.

See if others kick in, or try the main Prop forum.

Sean

Ya I never thought about the metal replacement from proboat. Don't those have to be balanced and sharpened too?

Side Note....I recently received the metal prop replacement for the Shockwave 26 Brushless. It however looks to have some rough edges and I haven't tried using it yet. I already have a sharpened and balanced Octura on the boat, but Proboat was giving out the props for free being the old plastic ones were breaking so much, so I couldn't pass on something free. I just wasn't sure if I needed to do anything to it before using it so I haven't put it on. Being the boats come with them now right out of the box, then I am assuming they aren't Sharpened and balanced and its fine to run them that way...just not getting the full potential out of it?

Thanks for your input so far!

I used those props for my Fastech, and I read from ProBoat 's literature. What I got from reading was roughly this: you can use it as an upgrate from the plastic but for ultimate performance they should be polished and balanced. Well, I am here to report : use them with caution. They are heavy and if not balanced they can wear out the strut bushing REAL fast, ask me how I found out...

I would say S/B all metal props. The cut aluminum and SS props "should" be really close to balanced, but still, I would check and sharpen and then recheck for balance. But again, the ProBoat one is in your price range. But..... what other props do you have? The shockwave one is the 42mm, no? May not need to buy one right away anywho... Then save up for the S215 or X642?