Thread: Seaking 180A HV

Default Seaking 180A HV

I just purchased 2x seaking 180A high voltage ESC's. V2's
    When they arrived they dont say anything about being HV. the instructions dont even list a 180A HV only a 130A HV with 180A burst. The stickers on the esc's only say 180A and no HV is present either. On the box they are marked 180A again no HV.
    I have read all the posts about sealing them, i have decided to use clear liquid electrical tape.
    Is there any way of telling they are HV? i would hate to connect up 12s lipo and they go bang!
    I have also read about setting the program on them and not using auto setting.

Is there something im missing? im guessing it will have more 'beep' options for the lipo setting? which would indicate they are HV ?

Contact the place you bought them from before plugging in power.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Seaking 180A works with 6S maxi. If you want a HV esc look to the Himodel Marine HV, this is a very good deal
    Attached Images Attached Images

The cap voltage rating would give an idea of what it may support.

If thoses are standard Hobbywing Seaking 180 amp v2 they are not HV. I have a couple and I run they on 6s max with the bec disconnected. I wouldnt recommend 12s on them they will cook. Post a picture of them and someone will tell you what they are.
    "If you can't win - Wreck someone who can!"

They don't have a HV 180. Also, Don't buy a Hi-Model HV controller. That is bad advice.

thankyou for your replys, heres the link. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-Hobbyw...item415ebad5af
    surly www.rk2trade.com would not advertise it as being HV if it was not.

the caps are 3x rubycon 35v 1000uf ZLH with an extra cap bank of 4x rubycon 35v 470uf ZLH

If you look on the link for the ebay listing or his website, you can see an exrta graph that shows the HV settings in line 2. I didnt realise these things are so HUGE ! Is it worth taking off the heat sink to apply some extra heat transfer paste compound?

That is a LV controller. Read the full description in the first link. 6s max.

Ad is obviously incorrect.
    Use a little common sense. 12s @ 3.7 volts = 44.4 volts. Do you really think the 35v caps are adequate?

Yep like Rumdog said those are only rated to handle 6s. If you scroll down past the RC TOP banner they have a blurb below the description that says "seaking-180-HV-esc" in red. If you dont know the exact product you gotta read all the details.

Yeah just look at the chart on the ebay link you gave.. Note 1 is for lipo.. Note 2 should say Nimh and should not include the words High Voltage, but it says lipo..Note 2 is where the typo is..Also you gotta watch out on ebay..You really have to know what your after, buying on there..

so why advertise as HV? and why would the note in the value graph say supports 5-12lipo ? then in the first line yes it seems to be copied from thier lv controllers saying it only supports 2-6. yes ive contacted the seller an no ive had no response after 3 emails. ok so the extra bank of 35v caps wont handle 12s?and yes i do read all the descrition before buying. but when its advertised and shows option graph program for 180a hv one would think they are getting what they read in tje description. so no? its all typo is it? and its only lv? i would think as per my first post. wouldnt the hv version have settings 5&6 and the low voltage only have settings for 2&3 on the graph? come on guys. surely im not the only one confused by the sellers difficult desceiption or lack there of.

Quote Originally Posted by ice_spy View Post
    so why advertise as HV? and why would the note in the value graph say supports 5-12lipo ? then in the first line yes it seems to be copied from thier lv controllers saying it only supports 2-6. yes ive contacted the seller an no ive had no response after 3 emails. ok so the extra bank of 35v caps wont handle 12s?and yes i do read all the descrition before buying. but when its advertised and shows option graph program for 180a hv one would think they are getting what they read in tje description. so no? its all typo is it? and its only lv? i would think as per my first post. wouldnt the hv version have settings 5&6 and the low voltage only have settings for 2&3 on the graph? come on guys. surely im not the only one confused by the sellers difficult desceiption or lack there of.
    The chart is the Standard Hobbywing chart they supply with all their marine esc's regardless if HV or LV. Like mentioned the esc you have IS a LV esc. Awesome esc also referred to as the T180 because of Hobbyking. The seller did make a false claim by listing it as a HV esc. Either they are stupid or trying to get over on someone. I would without a doubt connect them. The chart isn't difficult but then again maybe because I am use to them.

Their are only 6 value options available for voltage, setting 1 would be auto detect for either value 2 if:
    LV esc = 2s
    HV = 5s

Value 3:
    LV = 3s
    HV= 6s
    and so forth. The misleading part is the HV in the title, that is truly wrong! The 35v caps are rated for 35v, so when you supply more then 35v (i.e 12s) things go boom.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

thanks for all your replys. the seller has replied and informed me they are only LV controllers. well thats false advertising at it best when you search ebay for esc HV. quess i will run them on 6s and buy some higher kv motors.

All else fails i'll buy them off you.. Great esc.. cheers

Thanks anyways Tiny, but i will use them for now. Can anybody tell me why many people running the T180A use a seperate power supply insted of the BEC built into the esc? is it safer? less drain on your packs? Also what are the other tabs not being used on the esc for? does anybody know?
    2012-02-10 00.04.11.jpg

Hmm I'm sure some of the FE techies know the exact technical reason. However If you have ever fried an esc or two then you become cautious. I took the advice of guys that have been doing it for years and it seems that informed minds say that disabling the BEC reduces your chance of frying the esc. From my own personal experience it has worked ..... so far on the 2 SK "T180's" i have. "Knocks on wood desk"