Thread: Can LiPos Be Damaged in ESC failure?

Default Can LiPos Be Damaged in ESC failure?

Can a LiPo pack be damaged when the ESC burns out and shorts the LiPo terminals?

On my last run last year, I fried a CC Hydro 120 ESC to a crisp. Essentially, the ESC shorted the LiPo terminals and melted off the 10ga soldered connections on the ESC - big smelly mess! A year later, I tried to charge the same Hextronic 4S/4100mAh/15C LiPo packs, and I am getting an error message the Hyperion 1210 charger on one of the packs and it's not charging. The other pack charges fine.

Setup: MM Cat, Feigao 8XL-2084kv, 4S2P/8100mAh/15C, Hydra 120 ESC, x445.

The forum was very helpful last year in pointing out why my ESC failed with that setup. I am wondering now if the temps got too high on the LiPos as well as the ESC, since the ESC and the LiPo "C" rating are close, 120A vs 123A?... I couldn't confirm if the LiPo temps were hot, because it took me an hour to rescue the boat in 43 F weather...

These were new and fortunately inexpensive LiPos. Nonetheless, I am curious if a shorted ESC can cause LiPo damage?

if the Lipo has been sitting for a year it may or may not have been damaged in the failure. But it was damaged when it was allowed to completely discharge over the past year.

Hate to be the one to say it but the battery is probably beyond repair now.

I have had motors take out esc's and esc's take out motors, but not a battery yet.

in my years of rc trucks and cars iv had motors get locked up and they fried my esc and blown my battery

Good points! I believe the LiPos still had some capacity left in them since it was only a 8 minute run under partial throttle. I agree, if the voltage on the LiPos falls below 3V that they're history. But as far as storage in non-use situations, I thought that LiPos don't lose their charge as fast as NiMHs? Should I be charging LiPos for the off season?

Cool

Many builders recommend storing LiPos between 3.8 and 3.9 volts. They will lose some charge over time, and should be checked periodically for remaining voltage. The Hyperion charger will not charge a pack that is too low, below 3 volts per cell IIRC....you will get an error message.

Remember that after the 8 minutes of running there was a short as the ESC failed - which could have reduced pack voltage even more. With a similar setup to yours in my MM, running for 3 miutes takes about 4800 mAh from my packs.

Thanks Fluid. You're right, because at the start of the charging cycle, the Hyperion charger was displaying only 13% internal charge capacity for the LiPo pack. What if I charge the LiPo on an inexpensive LiPo charger first, and then transfer it to the Hyperion once the charge reaches let's say 60%?

I definitely want to get more than one charge cycle per LiPo pack. The off season here in N.E. is 6 months. I was going to ask how often should I be charging LiPo packs for the off season? But, I'll make sure I am getting 3.8 - 3.9 V/S.

Cool

I wouldn't charge them unless they got below 3.4 volts. Just check them every month or so with a cheap VOM.

Thanks Fluid! Well, I had already tried earlier in the day to charge that one LiPo. It must have gone below the threshold, because it wasn't holding charge at all.

On an aside, what's annoying is the various kinds of taps for LiPos. I had to go through hurdles to find that Hextronic tap, since my Hyperion charger is limited to basically PolyRC and PolyQuest. Now I have just one odd number LiPo pack in that series. I tried NeuEnergy since it claims to use the Hyperion tap. I am stuck with a Neu LiPo pack because it doesn't fit my Hyperion charger. I don't even know what adapter I would need?? I wish they would STANDARDIZE LIPO TAPS! Now it's on to PolyRCs - it'll be my third brand of LiPos.

On an aside, what's annoying is the various kinds of taps for LiPos. I had to go through hurdles to find that Hextronic tap, since my Hyperion charger is limited to basically PolyRC and PolyQuest. Now I have just one odd number LiPo pack in that series. I tried NeuEnergy since it claims to use the Hyperion tap. I am stuck with a Neu LiPo pack because it doesn't fit my Hyperion charger. I don't even know what adapter I would need?? I wish they would STANDARDIZE LIPO TAPS! Now it's on to PolyRCs - it'll be my third brand of LiPos.[/QUOTE]

Contact rclipos.com they should have what you need. call them it easier to explain for you and them.
    MikeV

MikeV, thanks for the advice. rclipos.com - that's where I am heading to get the PolyRCs.

I canceled my order for NeuEnergy LiPos after waiting 6 weeks on backorder from China. It seems that LiPos are an afterthought at Neu since they have no tech support for their batteries. Their web site is incorrect to state that "These plugs are the same used by Hyperion and others." For tech questions concerning batteries, I was directed to call Castle Creations to find out what type of taps were on NeuEnergy LiPos. So I called Castle, since the tech support at Castle is excellent. Tom went out of his way to find out about the taps. It's actually an Apogee connector that only fits an Astro Blinky charger. Anyone else who is stuck like me with NeuEnergy LiPos, the sku# HP-LBA10-EH is the harness to adapt NeuEnergy LiPos to a Hyperion charger.... Thank Castle Creations for the remedy!

I have been nothing but pleased with RC Lipos and the PolyRC packs. Plus Pat, the owner, is a great guy o deal with.
    Don't get me started

That's a great endorsement for PolyRC coming from you Bill! Thanks... By the way, congratulations on setting a record!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    I have been nothing but pleased with RC Lipos and the PolyRC packs. Plus Pat, the owner, is a great guy o deal with.
    I just placed my first order with them and great communication and awesome prices. wished I woulda found them alllll to begin with. he can count on more of my money coming to him.... in a couple months of course says the wife!

Quote Originally Posted by 10gauge View Post
    Nonetheless, I am curious if a shorted ESC can cause LiPo damage?
    Of course, especially if the packs were fairly warm already when the meltdown occured.
    I had a castle cc85hv take out a 10s 3700mah pack last year...
    The pack didn't puff, and I managed to bring the voltage back up by overriding the cell detect function on my charger, but that pack wouldn't hold voltage under load very well anymore and eventually one cell died completely.

I've saved a few bucks over the years when I've opted to use castle esc's, rather than the more expensive kontronic's or schulze's, but I'm pretty sure they've actually cost me alot more once you total up the damage their untimely demise's have caused.

Regards,
    Nathan

OK, it seems like I am not the only one... On my LiPo, it appears that one of the cells is dead and the pack no longer holds charge - Nice paper weight for sure from one charge cycle! Now with the dim prospect of a 3S limit on standard Castle ESCs, more RC boaters will be seeing blown ESCs AND dead LiPo packs....