Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatch bolt-down kits

Default Hatch bolt-down kits

I put together these kits for the boats I am building. They are designed with style in mind but are also functional. Use this kit with hatch tape for extra security and looks, or use it with a foam seal to eliminate hatch tape (everyone has their own opinions and attachments to hatch tape, so do what works for you!).
    They are relatively easy to install. Just mark and drill 1/4" holes through the hatch and the lip below, epoxy the thread bosses to the lip on the hull, and use the supplied neoprene washers to seal the bolts (washers fit tightly and stay on bolts, so they won't get lost). The kit will also include matching set screws that can optionally be installed into the thread bosses as a "stop", so the bolt bottoms out before overtightening of the hatch occurs. This is not generally necessary, but nice for boats that may have younger or greener users. Also, the hex drive bolts are knurled, so while an allen wrench can be used, it is not necessary. You can get these screws tight by hand.

Each standard 4 bolt kit will include the following:

(4) Hatch bolts, available in your choice of one of the following options:

- Aluminum RED anodized hex drive knurled bolts
    - Aluminum BLUE anodized hex drive knurled bolts
    - Aluminum SILVER (almost a platnum tint to these) hex drive knurled bolts
    - Black steel/plastic thumb screws for quick/easy hand tightening

(4) Neoprene washers, to protect your paint when tightening from screw marks and seal out water

(4) Thread bosses to be epoxied or glued to hull

(4) Stainless steel set screws for optional use as a bolt "stopper"

Kits are available in 2 bolt (for front and rear hold downs on smaller boats) , 4 bolt standard, or 6 bolt kits large boats. Maximum hatch to lip distance is 5/8", but if you have something larger let me know and I can put together a longer kit for you

~ 2 bolt kit $18 + shipping

~ 4 bolt kit $26 + shipping

~ 6 bolt kit $34 + shipping

Shipping within the continental US will be $2.50, unless priority mail is desired, in which case shipping will be $5 to all 50 states.
    Last edited by keithbradley; 02-16-2012 at 07:44 PM.

^^^ 41" Cat shown^^^

I'll take one,four bolt kit in red. pm me ur pay pal and shipping. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2o 1 View Post
    I'll take one,four bolt kit in red. pm me ur pay pal and shipping. thanks
    PM sent, thanks.

i will take one 2 bolt in blue and one 2 bolt in silver

pp please

thanks
    rip
    "FE" STANDS FOR FRUSTRATING EXPLOSIONS

Quote Originally Posted by RIPFENCE View Post

pp please

thanks
    rip
    PM sent.

To everyone:
    In the case of ordering (2) 2 bolt kits, I will only charge you for a single 4 bolt kit...same goes if you wanted (3) 2 bolt kits, I would just charge you for a single 6 bolt. Maximum kit size is 6 bolt, just because if I kept going up at that rate, eventually it would be costing me money.

pay pal sent,will pm you my address. Thank you!

Rip and H2O:

Payment received. Your kits will go out tomorrow. Thanks!

Aaron can you PM me your maing address? Its not all showing up through my paypal app.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPFENCE View Post

pp please

thanks
    rip

Hatch kits shipped and tracking numbers sent to those who have ordered as of now. Thanks guys, hope you like them.

Nice Keith. When I'm ready, I'll look you up.

Love your 41" cat man! What outrunners did you go with? Kv that is??
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Nice Keith. When I'm ready, I'll look you up.

Love your 41" cat man! What outrunners did you go with? Kv that is??
    Thanks Ray. 3000watt/910kv on 10s. I might go with lower kv scorpions and a higher cell count down the road for big speed but this should move out pretty well for now.

To those who have or are purchasing kits:

There are a couple of things I wanted to address with these:

1) The thread bosses can be mounted on the BOTTOM side of the hull lip if you are concerned with the strength of the epoxy holding them there. If the hole is drilled a clean 1/4", they fit pretty snug and a difficult to get out even before they are epoxied, so I don't think it will be an issue, but for piece of mind you could put them on the bottom so there is no possibilty of them coming loose in a crash.

2) The neoprene washers are 3/8" diameter. If any of you guys think they are too small or have issues with them sealing the hole, let me know. I can order 1/2" neoprene washers with the same inside diameter but I thought the smaller ones would look better. As with all of this stuff I have to order it in large quantities (that's why I started selling them in the first place) but if it's better one way or another I'll spend the money and make it the best it can be.

are you doing something to the hatch as well to keep the water out? It looks sharp may have to get a few sets

Quote Originally Posted by hazegry View Post
    are you doing something to the hatch as well to keep the water out? It looks sharp may have to get a few sets
    I haven't done anything to my boat yet (we have a while before the water starts woving again) but I plan to pick up some foam or rubber at lowe's. They make a number of door seals or weather strippings that should work if placed inside the hull. I do have some o ring material but I think something that compresses like foam strips will be a lot easier to install.

I have considered including some foam in the kit, but I've tried to keep the price reasonable and let everybody get whatever they choose to use to seal it. I've learned from the carbon fiber motor mounts and servo mounts that I sell that we are all used to buying stuff made in China and if materials are expensive on my end, it's hard for me to get that back.

Ok...
    I have some industrial closed-cell foam rubber on the order list and should have it mid week. It should only up the cost slightly (for those who have already ordered I will send some upon request).

Any other suggestions?

Hi Keith,

I will take the 4 bolt kit in red. PM me with Pay Pal info.

Got my kit today Keith,i think this is gonna work great!! Thank you !!

I now have these available with stainless steel knurled allens. Also, I have another thread with seals, so you can run without hatch tape if you choose to! Here are a couple of pics of the seal and stainless allens:

I've received feedback from a couple of boaters who are running these and so far it's all positive. I love them myself and I can't believe I ever ran without them.
    If you haven't bought some yet, do so! Even if you source your own stuff and come up with something similar, it's definitely worth it. I started selling these because I had to buy some of this stuff in large quantities, and I still have quite a bit left.
    If you want more than 4 bolts on your boat, feel free to ask and I will get you a price for what you want. The aluminum bolts add very little weight, so it's not really a concern.

^^^Bump^^^

I flipped a boat with this hatch bolt kit and my hatch seal on it last weekend. After getting it back and taking off the hatch, there was no water inside. It's nice to not have to worry about the hatch coming off in a crash. Lord know's it's happened to me too many times with tape.

Hi Keith,

I need a one set (4) of the blue hatch boltdowns along with the closed cell foam.

What is the dia of the black thumb screws? The black top part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwink View Post
    Hi Keith,

I need a one set (4) of the blue hatch boltdowns along with the closed cell foam.
    No problem, get me a perimeter measurement of your hatch so I know how long to cut the seal and I'll get you a price.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVE6S View Post
    What is the dia of the black thumb screws? The black top part.
    5/8"

Keith I will take a 4 bolt black kit, PM me your paypal and how much for the seal stuff?

45" total. The lip is 5/8 inch. It is for a Promise Hobby 29" Cat I just finished building. I will post pictures later today.

Nice kits. Since you asked for suggestions are they available in a buttonhead aluminum or is that not something readily available. Not so much for me but just to make a cleaner look if wanted.They wouldn't be able to hand tighten but they would look good. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of your work, just the 30 years of prototype machining talking here. Also for those with a lathe you could modify them for a circlip and they would stay with the lid, however you would have to losen them all before removing any of them if that makes sence to all. Peace. Keep up the good work.
    :-)
    Don't forget to put your brain in gear before you engage your mouth! Thanks Dad!

I will take the 6 bolt kit in red. PM me with Pay Pal inf

Baby Sv43 / 2 x TP 5660 1100Kv / 8S / SF240A

Money sent

Baby Sv43 / 2 x TP 5660 1100Kv / 8S / SF240A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast