Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystic 185 Twin Turbine Build by Chris "Sir File-a-Lot" Fischer

that box is gonna look sweet!
    no red in this build? maybe some purple...

assembly of the different frames

In the two frames with 10mm and 12mm width, Christian drilled congruent holes and then counter bored them for the countersunk screws of the spacers.

(parts for the frame)

Here are the parts put together just to get an idea of the optic, not assembled yet:

As for sure Christian did some modification to the spacers to save weight and get a nicer optic, then he also polished them:

Hey ManuelW what CAD program is that? BTW Hats off to you guys on what is go to be the "Tightest" build i have even seen so far. Wow!
    "If you can't win - Wreck someone who can!"

This is what happens when dudes with lots of skills and "time and money are irellevant" ! Love it.
    "If you can't win - Wreck someone who can!"

After assembling with the spacers he glued the 5mm frame to the top:

bulkhead and side walls or just "the seams"

The next work was to glue in the bulkhead to create two seperate parts, before "wrapping" it with 0.3mm CF sheet to create the side walls. A very important chapter in the rc box build are the epoxy seams. As resin he uses UHU Endfest 300, I don't know if its available in the USA, here you can get it really easy. To be honest, Christian reached an almost awful precise level to make these seams absolutely perfect. Its maybe even better than a machine could do it.
    Therefore below are a few photos which should show the perfection. He uses mask tapes to cover areas from the resin and to get a sharp edge. He adds black epoxy color to the resin and the exact amount of thixotropic agent. As tools he only uses the wooden sticks from McDonalds, there they use them to mix coffee but I think this is more a hoax - their real use is to make epoxy seams. He always says it needs a lot of patience and a calm and competent hand. The resin mustn't be too liquid as well as not to viscous - you have to get the right point. Maybe in the future I'll take a little bonus video of him how he prepares and makes these seams.

The bulkhead and the seams - sit down and enjoy!

The 0.3mm thin CF sheet has a nice glossy side and a rough one. As 0.3mm is really thin, first Christian made one layer with the glossy side to the inside of the box, then another layer with the glossy side to the outside. So the overall thickness of the side wall is now a bit above 0.6mm which is enough. Before he ordered the needed CF sheet, I could measure the circumstance of the box in the CAD program. For the 1. layer its 945mm, the box has a length of 345mm and a width of around 200mm.

I think the following picture sums up the perfection, in this curved area he didn't even use masking tape!

As you could aready see the side walls are higher than the box itself. So first Christian cut it down rough and then sanded it to the same level of the frames. The texalium sheet on the bottom was glued last, as he needed perfect access to both sides to make his seams. Here some pictures of the temporary result:

Wow , that is a lot of work for a radio box. Totally looks worth it though and I haven't even seen it all yet.....
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

(and yes the optic of the side wall looks also in reality totally unreal like on the second to last picture )

final cover

As already mentioned there should be a final cover for the complete box, also with the glossy 0.3mm CF sheet as well as the texalium skull. Sadly the imported texalium sheet from Switzerland was not opaque, so you would have seen the black CF sheed shining through. As a solution I had the idea to have the skull cut out mirror inverted of a silver self-adhesive plotter foil. This has two advantages, first the sheet is not opaque any more, second that Christian then can use the contour of the "sticker" to cut the texalium sheet.

Here the two sheets/foils (1x texalium, 1x plotter foil)

Christian told me it was an extreme effort and took a lot of time to cut it out and file it to the right contour as the material is really really thin and starts to flutter almost immediately. Therefore he always filed as beneath as possible to the edge of the table and move only small distances. But finally he managed it

Christian proudly presents:

baseplate for RC box

Beside the RC box also the already shown hopper tanks have to be mounted inside the hull. In the original build Chris Tonn already designed a mount system for the old RC box which was longer. On one side it was just hinged inside a mount with hard rubber plugs and on the other side screwed down using two screws.
    Christian wanted to use this system again so he designed a HUGE baseplate out of the rest from the nice 3mm CF sheet. The plate is 508mm long and 155m wide.

Here the sketch....

...and the transformation to reality...

After the ground plate was finished, the hopper tanks were installed first.

And here with the RC box, the mount system is still missing

As usual Christian made the parts for the mount system out of high strength aluminium before he polished them to "bling-bling" finish

The result

RC box and hopper tanks finally mounted inside the hull. I think everyone to his taste, I think the hopper tanks don't mess up the engine bay but are a nice piece of engineering.

So I think this was enough progress in this review for today. I'll continue the day after tomorrow, in the meantime I hope you enjoy reading.

Wish a nice evening,
    Manuel

Brilliant. I guess this is going to be Christian's best build yet!
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

does he need a little assistant?
    this is just crazy, i wonder how many files he goes through.

Very, very, very very nice

This build makes me feel so inadiquite

Very nice job and cant wait to see more.

I'm having one of those moments, where I shake my head and laugh.....LOL seriously good work! (Abar mensch was willst du mehr)

.....don't they say carbon dust is bad for you .......? LOL

I think that skull should light up some how? maybe backlid LED but also act as status lights :) but in a cool way.

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo-GLS View Post
    This build makes me feel so inadiquite

Very nice job and cant wait to see more.
    Ummm,Yeah,I'm with ya there.

Quote Originally Posted by nata2run View Post
    I think that skull should light up some how? maybe backlid LED but also act as status lights :) but in a cool way.
    It doesn't need lights! It shoots flames! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser77 View Post
    It doesn't need lights! It shoots flames! Lol
    Not with out pics to prove it

Incredible build!! I mean, i got that blown away kinda feeling looking at these pics, just plain insane!!! That's what you call skill!! Very nice

Dont flip that thing of beauty going 100 mph

hi guys....i just loggin my self in this forum,and the reason it was this type of quality building,again from cristian.....my friend you have make the most wonderfull buildings,that i never see....i will wait to see more and more from you. please forgive my english as i m from greece,and not expertise on forums...greetings stelios sakantaris.

Hello guys,

first a big THANKS from Christian and me for all the credits.
    Makes us really proud, as its even not a FE boat we are presenting here. Maybe we should consider also to translate some of the other reviews to english and present them here. But thats something for the future.

for now, I'll continue with this one!

@megalops: I'm working with Catia V5R18, its a great design software.

rigging of the rc box interior

As already mentioned in the beginning of the review the RC box contains a whole lot of components and even more cables and silicon tubes for electronics and fuel system. A part list as well as some pictures can be found in post #2 in this threat. Christian wanted a very clean and tidy look, it was not that easy. In the end he manged it but it took a lot of work and the RC box is quite filled as we designed it as small as possible (the original one had more than double the volume).

servo mount

One of the first works was to make a servo mount for the HITEC servo. Despite the small standard size its extremely powerful and has a titanium gear. The four braces are also out of T6 aluminium and polished. Even the four black screws are out of titanium and anodized, better not ask for the price...
    The rest should be clear from the pictures:

making the LED boards and the ECU's a little "nicer"

As you could see each turbine needs an ECU unit as well as a LED board. On both is the original JetCat sticker in the typical colors. As they would absolutely not fit to the rest of the boat I gave Christian the hint to change it agains, not that easy to guess what, 0.3mm glossy CF sheet. Took him several hours to file them out, as he need some information about the right connectors he found suitable white rub-off letters. Every sign is an own sticker and just 2mm high, no idea how he got it that straight!

fuel pumps

He didn't like the original fuel pumps at all, neither the look nor how they were mounted. So he changed everything. First he removed the old shrink tube and put a new black one on them. This is mainly for insulation purpose, you have to be aware of static charging of the fuel. As the mount itself should be invisible he turned four kind of endbells out of aluminium, then polished them for sure. On the bottom is an M3 threat to screw them to the bottom of the box. Then he wrapped some 0.3mm CF sheet round the pumps and clipped one of the endbell to each end. But the are not directly screwed to the bottom, there is a 3mm CF sheet inbetween. He filed it to the right dimensions, it even follows the curvature of the pumps which you can see on the picture. Now each pump is a unit which can be easiily mounted or dismounted.

mounting the first parts inside the box

As there go some cables through the RC box Christian had to make some lead-throughs. He turned them out of aluminium material, both parts got a M14x0.7mm fine pitch thread so they can be assembled. The inner bore is 11.2mm, just enough for the data-cables which go to the turbines. On the box he made a 2.5mm bore and then used sanding paper to get it to the right diameter of 14mm. That takes him 1.5 hours but he says its the only way to get these bores exact in that 0.6mm thin CF material. For sealing he used silicone which is normally used for fish-tanks.
    After that he mounted the ECU's, the LED boards and the fuel pumps. As the box is completely curved he made some kind of net to be able to place the components on both sides symmetrical.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast