Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystic 185 Twin Turbine Build by Chris "Sir File-a-Lot" Fischer

Default Mystic 185 Twin Turbine Build by Chris "Sir File-a-Lot" Fischer

Hello Guys,

after the requests in the HPR 135 - German madness thread I decided to present Christians new build also here on OSE and translate the review.
    I hope you enjoy the build, I think its very very well done and deserves respect even if its not a FE boat.

As there might be question: This boat is owned and re-built by Christian Fischer. But we work very close together and I also helped searching and purchasing parts as well as doing design work and CAD crafts....

HPR 185 - TwinTurbine project

Originally the boat was build by Chris Tonn. Beside the paint job he also did the big changes concerning the canopy of the boat. Now it features 3 independent hatches, the side hatches are scaled down from the real Mystic C5000R for the turbines. Then the boat was sold to a guy in the Netherlands.
    Christian saw the boat at the annual powerboat meeting in Heilbronn and fell in love with it. As it was for sale a bit later he decided to buy it and in the middle of september last year Christian and I drove to pick it up. Both ways together were about 1530km to drive and it took us the whole day but it was worth the effort.

Basically the boat was RTR except the receiver and the two turbines were at JetCat to be checked and serviced.

Here a picture of Christian and his new beauty after returning home:

dismounting and cleaning

As some of you might already know some of his other boats he invests tons of work in little details and nice hardware of the boat. They call him "Sir File-a-lot" because of the excellent work he did with files and CF-sheets in his HPR 115 with the "2-Face" paint job. So the boat was already built but it was quite clear that he would rebuild many parts.
    First of all he dismounted all the parts to clean and polish the bare hull.

one of the first little detail was to put some self-adhesive velvet round the canopy borders

BEFORE

AFTER

Here the original RC-Box, the cable harness of these turbines is quite complicated. For each turbine you have (beside the receiver, receiver battery and servo):
    -LED board
    -turbine ECU
    -2S Lipo battery for ECU's
    -fuel pump
    -2x magnetic valves
    -fuel filters
    -bunch of cables to conne

Hello Manuel, I've been following this build on the powerboat forum using Google translate. Christians work is amazing. Everyone will really enjoy this build. I know I am. Thanks, Bruiser

rudder facelift

The original rudder is quite nice but Christian thought there are still a few things to improve. So he disassembled the rudder and built some parts again on his own little milling machine. Its a conventional one and not CNC, the fabricator is Proxxon. For the other parts he decided to polish them to perfect finish. The black screws are M4 and out of Titanium. The cover out of CF-sheet is 0.3mm thick. As its quite small, he pre-drilled the nine holes with 4mm diameter and then used some rolled sanding paper to get them to the precise final diameter of 7mm. Another change was that he changed the normal bushings of the rudder axis to ball-bearings. I think the rest is self-explained by the pictures. If any question arrives, feel free to ask.

ORIGINAL:

Machining new parts:

OLD vs. NEW

Parts polished and ready for assembling (the special "bling-bling"- factor)

Please excuse for posting quite some pictures of the mounted rudder...

To protect the rudder from scratches during transport he also sewed a little protection cover for his rudder. As material he used gore tex material from a jacket

The Turbines

A few weeks later the checked and serviced turbines arived back from JetCat. These turbines are the JetCat SPM5 marine turbines, each one can produce around 7kW output power at the shaft. Its a 2-shaft turbine like its used for a TurboProp. The first turbine runs at around 170.000rpm under full load. The generator part can run nearly at the same rpm. The second shaft is connected to a 3-step gearbox with an input of around 170.000rpm and an output shaft which runs around 28.000rpm.

Here some pictures of the babies:

So I think thats enough for today, I'll continue tomorrow!

Best regards,
    Manuel

awww so cute he has twins

Manuel,

Thanks for translating and uploading the postss here. BTW, does Jetcat still produce the SPM5's?

Tyler

I already wonder, what's next. Lol, I kinda just laugh/smile when I see Christians work. What else can you do.

Hi Tyler,

yes JetCat still produces the SPM5 Marine Turbine, at the moment its also the only company I know that still produces a marine turbine. I'd say the system is well developed now and due to increased production numbers they are even available for a lower price now (decided to write lower, as I think "cheaper" is not the right word to be used).

Best regards,
    Manuel

Thanks Manuel,

I did not see them on the JetCat USA site and wondered if they stopped producing them.

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Thanks Manuel,

I did not see them on the JetCat USA site and wondered if they stopped producing them.

Tyler
    More masterful work by Chris. Always a pleasure to see what he comes up with. I think i may need to place an order with him. Grin.

They are making the mod 2's slightly better electronics setup wiring wise, i never liked the cable dangling from the top. I lost the warranty on both of mine due to making new second stage turbines for the tranny but they have stated they will work with me on price when it comes time to service them. Be careful how you mod them. Also if you are going to get a turbine do not use the screen type intakes they use as they are a huuuge restriction and allow heat build up in the engine due to restricted airflow, i use a couple turbo intake K&N filters rated at 50+ for air intake.

hopper tanks

As like in the original build, the fuel pumps are not fed directly from the main fuel cells but there is a hopper tank in between. This is mainly due to better/more reliable fuel supply of the turbines, as it is smaller and always full. The included one was made of GFK but as Christian works a lot on turning machines he decided to make a pair of hopper tanks out of high strength T6 aluminium.
    Each tank is made of two seperate parts, they can be screwed together over a M75x1 fine pitch thread. I think this alone took quite some time to produce. On the bottom is a M5 thread for the Festo 90° angle which goes to the fuel pumps. On the top are three M5 threads, one for the intake from the main, fuel cells, one for filling the fuel tanks and the third one for a display tube which goes to the bottom. Otherwise you can't check the fuel stand inside the hopper tank as it is made out of Aluminium. For all threads Loctite 648 was used to seal them.
    To make it even nicer he did some marquetry work with 3D optic CF sheets.

Here some pictures of the progress:

After that was done he polished the aluminium parts to a superior finish.

As I mentioned he needed some kind of display tube to show the fuel stand. You could just do it by using a clear tube which goes from the top to the bottom. But it would not be Christian if he did it the easy way. So he invested quite some time to do it as perfect as possible. It would be difficult to explain but I think its easy to see when you check the pictures.

For the final touch he found someone on the forum who does laser engraving. So he sent the hopper tanks away to had the skull from the paint job engraved on the top surface. Here some pictures of the final result.

Comparison Old vs. New: On the right you can see the combined hopper tank for both turbines and on the left one of the new ones. Also the new ones are together slightly bigger than the old one.

Another little job was to cover the turbine cowls with some heat protection foil, as usual it had to be done absolutely precise and symmetric:

WOW, I always love to read these threads although they sure remind me where I'm at with my building skills (lack of).

That is a work of art. Many thanks for sharing it with us.

This is great!
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

Dear Santa.....
    Another thread where I'll be anxiously watching the progress. Good stuff and thanks for sharing!
    They call me DOUBLE D

Why the hopper tanks Manuel? They are not needed and in my opinion simply clutter up a beyond fantastic engine bay. I fully baffled my tanks, there is no problem with fuel starvation or not wondering if the pumps will get fuel as i have replaced the orings with the proper material, something next to no one does but should with these turbines. Methinks Chris loves to make things, BiggGrin. Glad to see someone finally putting aluminized fibeglass cloth/ceramics inside their hulls too. I had talked to a couple gentlemen a couple years ago and they used the word gaudy and unneeded, i disagreed. I am glad to see Chris knows the deal. Let him know i have a line on some small vented steel if he is interested, to cover the first stage, better than the solid slab of stainless they have wrapped around it stock, if anything i am sure he can improve or take that to the next level.

I can't tell whether i hate or love this guy.
    he does amazing work that far outstands anything i have seen before, especially his gold digger.
    then again, he makes me feel poor and unattentive.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    I can't tell whether i hate or love this guy.
    he does amazing work that far outstands anything i have seen before, especially his gold digger.
    then again, he makes me feel poor and unattentive.
    Same, still there are a few tips and tricks in his builds that can be applied to all boaters.
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

@ grail: You've got a long PM :D

@ the others: BIG thanks for the credits

And now let's continue with the build...

RC Box Mystic TwinTurbine

Welcome to the review about the build of the RC box. Its one of the parts were we worked really close together. Normally a rc box is not a very complicated part but everybody who knows Christian also knows, that off-the-shelf parts are not what he is looking for. So I think this could probably be the most advanced/complex RC box ever built. Also it was very nice to see how state of the art CAD software and Christians manual dexterity can work together.

the idea

Christian visited me at home and came with 2-3 sketches and a DXF file (a vector graphic format) on an USB-stick. The main idea was easy: The box should have the shape of the skull (same one which is laser engraved in the hopper tanks), at the end of the tooth it should be extended (see pict. 1). So overall this was the available data:

Picture 2 also shows, that the box should be seperated. The extended part is seperated and contains the servo with receiver and receiver battery. In the main box is enough space for the power supply (2S Lipo) as well as the electronics and the fuel system for both turbines. The box consists of several frames and a base plate. Each seperated part should have its own plexiglas cover. Then there should be another final cover for the complete box. It should have the same shape as the box and made of glossy CF sheet with the skull cut out of texalium sheet on it. Maybe difficult to understand from what I write, when you see the pictures it should be clear.

As a CAD program allows complicated designs it didn't took much time to decide that we'd need another frame. This would enable concealed plexiglas covers and give a nicer look.
    Picture 3 shows the skull from the original file, for Christian it looked like vertically compressed. As my CAD program doesn't allow stretching of vector graphics, I used a picture to show how it should look like:

The skull was stretched to 117%, that gave the desired look. As the design was clear I could start with the CAD draft. Meanwhile I sent the vector graphic file to a friend who stretched it to me and sent the new version back to me. The draft of the RC box did take about one day work overall, then it looked like on the pictures below. As I wanted it as realistic as possible I also needed the CF look, but there was just no suitable material implemented in the program. So first I created photo textures of glossy CF and texalium, then I created new materials and imported them in the program. In the draft the bottom of the box as well as the inner walls had a texalium optic, but when building it Christian decided only to have the bottom of the box with texalium, everything else has glossy CF optic.

the CAD draft

on the following pictures I added the transparent plexi glass covers

And the highlight of the box, the final cover with the skull in texalium optic:

As a few might have noticed the skull still has the same shape of the compressed one. This was as I started my work immediately and received the stretched one at the end of the draft. Here the comparison, I think the stretched one on the right looks definitely better

The I showed my final draft to Christian and he fell in love with it immediately. Without the smallest thing he wanted to change I could continue. First enough material had to be ordered, one HUGE 3mm CF sheet with enough area for three complete frames, a thicker texalium sheet for the bottom, a thin texalium sheet for the skull and enough glossy CF sheet for the side walls and the final cover. As we couldn't get any thin texalium sheet in Germany/Austria we had to import it from Switzerland.

production planning

My CAD draft was already built together digitally from several independent parts. Therefore it was easy to make technical drawings and create vector graphics from the individual frames. So I put three of these frames as close together as possible so save the needed amount of CF sheet. As it should be CNC milled I added little "bars" to make it as easy to cut them out and there is no danger of distortion.
    Also created another drawing with the shapes of the plexiglass covers, to have these cut out from another friend. He did a great job on these, instead of real plexiglass he recommended and used 3mm lexan sheets. It's the same material as used for auto bodys of rc cars at it is very strong and not as breakable as plexiglass.

CNC cutting

This job was done by a good friend of Christian, they used a 2.1mm solid carbide miller with special cut for CF I recommended. On the right you can see the huge 3mm CF sheet with the three frames. Each of the frames has a different "width" (10mm for the floor, 12mm for the bottom and 5mm for the top), on the left the bottom sheet and the glossy CF sheet for the final cover. There you can also see the little bars, Christian only had to remove these and do a little bit of grinding and trimming to get the final parts.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast