Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a capacitor to the Turnigy Aquastar 120 A speedy

Default Adding a capacitor to the Turnigy Aquastar 120 A speedy

My Jersey Skiff has a rather long run between the speedy and the batteries now that I found the correct CG by moving the batts to the back. Even with dedicated cooling to the SC it comes in a little too hot for comfort, so to reduce the ripple current* I'm thinking an additional cap will help . ( *Actually I prefer Ripple Strawberry but that's another story )

Stripped the batt wires close to the SC and tinned them

DSC02883.JPG DSC02886.JPG

prepped cap; shrink on cap wires keeps it insulated

DSC02884.JPG

soldered on SC wires

DSC02887.JPG

insulated solder joints with shrink & secured with a larger band of shrink

DSC02888.JPG

Nothing new here, just thought someone might be helped by this.

Tony
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

It can never hurt to repeat the good stuff Tony. Not sure why but OSE has boat loads of info, yet so few bother to do a search. They just ask the same questions that have been answered a hundred times.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post
    It can never hurt to repeat the good stuff Tony. Not sure why but OSE has boat loads of info, yet so few bother to do a search. They just ask the same questions that have been answered a hundred times.

John
    John, Sad but true. I actually thought this would be too redundant to post.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Just finished doing that on my old C80 Cuda ... part of the reason I still have the old girl :)

I really like the anti spark setups. Saved a lot of equipment watching my caps like a hawk and installing anti-spark on everything

Tony,

Would you mind informing all on the benefits of adding capacitors? When needed. Capacitor bank vs single. (I know some info its on the main site, but here would be good as well)
    Any words of caution....)

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by sanyijr View Post
    Tony,

Would you mind informing all on the benefits of adding capacitors? When needed. Capacitor bank vs single. (I know some info its on the main site, but here would be good as well)
    Any words of caution....)

Sean
    Sean,

I'm not qualified from the point of electrical theory to go any deeper into the issue than to say that adding capacitors, in the end result, makes the SC run cooler in certain cases. I was just one of the sheep that followed along when the "add capacitor fad" started some time ago. Those better educated in this subject may chime in.

Helps with heat dissipation (more/larger the caps ... better heat transfer), helps the esc handle spikes, and smooths out the flow of 'juice' through the esc.

Wont give you greater performance past the specs of the esc, but will give you a greater measure of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi911 View Post
    Helps with heat dissipation (more/larger the caps ... better heat transfer), helps the esc handle spikes, and smooths out the flow of 'juice' through the esc.

Wont give you greater performance past the specs of the esc, but will give you a greater measure of safety.
    Perfectly worded. In the case of my Jersey Skiff, which due to it's design and irregular running attitude vents and unvents the prop to a large degree, the extra cap should smooth out the spikes and ripple current when this occurs, especially with my extended battery-to-SC wires.

For those with the larger Castle HV escs, there is a cap bay that is pretty handy and easy to install. I just put one on my HV110 for a bit of extra protection. Adds some length to the setup, but its good piece of mind. This unit also has an anti-spark setup I added, which is nice on the HV rigs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tony,

so to followup on my question... Why did you only add 1 capacitor to your Aquastar? Wouldn't 2 be better? Or 4? Is there a general rule of thumb of what size/number capacitor to X cells, or amps anticipated? Or % of ESC power used to esc rating? Does that question make sense?

Sean

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    John, Sad but true. I actually thought this would be too redundant to post.
    Not at all Tony..
    I thank God for posts like yours and the great info for us to use..
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by sanyijr View Post
    Tony,

so to followup on my question... Why did you only add 1 capacitor to your Aquastar? Wouldn't 2 be better? Or 4? Is there a general rule of thumb of what size/number capacitor to X cells, or amps anticipated? Or % of ESC power used to esc rating? Does that question make sense?

Sean
    Sean, I'm "electronic theory challanged" so here's my "rule of thumb" :

1] : Measure thumb :

DSC02898.JPG

2] : Find capacitor of similar dimensions :

DSC02899.JPG

3] : count thumbs

DSC02901.JPG

4] : Install thusly : # thumbs = # capacitors ( if you're one of those people that are "all thumbs", buy extra capacitors)

Seriously, I hope someone with more grasp of this answers your question. It's been discussed & posted before on OSE.

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony,

I appreciate your literal interpretation..... But your math worries me a bit

But I do see you are using 25V caps. Can you (or anyone since Tony will use a differnet rule of thirds or something creative....Not that there is anyting wrong with that) give any advice on the Voltage capacity on the caps? I assume Capacitor voltage should never be less than the total battery voltage.... Is that a safe bet?
    Last edited by sanyijr; 01-24-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: for typical typos

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post

John
    I really have to work on going a better job on categorizing helpful tips.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

There are several options for cap size and setup

Some go with one large cap with a high voltage
    Advantage - Takes up less space, cheap, easy to solder, and you can use some seriously hi voltage caps if you want.
    Disadvantage - There's only one cap to blow and, in theory less warning.

Some go with multiple caps
    Advantage - Easier to keep on eye out for swelling ... normally one goes first (swelling, discoloration, odd heat characteristics ... burns when u pee ... wait thats something else).
    Disadvantage - Pain to solder, more expensive if you start buying pre-made 'bays'.

When choosing a cap size I normally just look at the esc I am using and match it up. For example, my 110HV is running 60v caps, so I added bay with 4 more. Not a bad rule is to look at your voltage and double it (ex. I run 30v caps on my 4s setups). Or you can just solder a huge 400v cap on there and go nuts ... I've seen that to! As long as you have a cap that matches the voltage demands you should be ok.

That makes pretty good sense. (Except the burning part).....

OK, I'll bite ; as long as we're discussing cap values, what uF (micro-fedorka?) value should be considered ?

OK, I'll bite ; as long as we're discussing cap values, what uF (micro-fedorka?) value should be considered ?
    Lol ... that's when my info ends :)

Value isn't as important as voltage, as you add more caps in par. the values add up.
    A mix of small and larger would actually work the best, smaller caps can absorb higher frequency ripple easier than a larger cap.
    Cap quality is another important factor, cheap ones can't stand the heat like a good one can.
    Cheap caps are the curse/blessing of vintage tube amp repair! My most common repair job, PS caps!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Ok here is a quick question. I have a SV -27 with stock esc in it and just got some Rubycon (35 vdc. 1000 uf ) caps, now should I add one or two? Thanks

Simple Explanation:
    http://www.satcure-focus.com/tutor/page6.htm

Coffee break is over everyone back on thier heads.

Stock one is 470 I believe, adding another 1000 to that would be ample, giving about 1500mF.
    Thats the old version esc, not sure of the value on the newer one but another 1000 would be good considering the capabilities of the esc. As long as your batteries can deliver the current.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Default Tested with Cap installed

Ran the JS with the additional cap. SC was WAAY cooler. Know that this is not a totally controlled scientific experiment, but it works for me

Ran the JS with the additional cap. SC was WAAY cooler. Know that this is not a totally controlled scientific experiment, but it works for me
    Tony, as in when my wife says : "I bought this outfit "WAY" on sale."? Or do you mean Much cooler.

I will have to give that a try......

I've added caps to my T120's when running 2000+ kv motors...............works well!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Just bumped into this. Still doesn't give actual values for uF (micro fedorkas) but sheds some more light

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/p...power_caps.htm

Novak also makes one called the Glitch Buster. Plugs into radio receiver to prevent radio glitching caused from high amp setups.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNRE0&P=7
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYAN4&P=7

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Novak also makes one called the Glitch Buster. Plugs into radio receiver to prevent radio glitching caused from high amp setups.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNRE0&P=7
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYAN4&P=7
    Makes sense. Easiy enough to make also.

ok so heres a quickie im thinking you can but someone knows more than me
    1 we know we can run 2 batts either parallel or in series
    2 if we run them parellel 2 batts with 5000 mah at say 6s are now 10000 mah but stay at 6s or 22.2 v ,yes or no ?
    so if # 2 is yes then if i have say 2 caps 25v and 500 uf each the 25v will not double it will stay 25v or does it double raising to 50v and does the uf stay at 500 or does that double to 1000 uf? and if it does double then could you use this new cap bank for a 12s or 44.4v setup ? or would they both blow up quickly lol ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast