Thread: IMPBA SAWs. Elizabeth City, NC April 25-29

Default IMPBA SAWs. Elizabeth City, NC April 25-29

The Old Dominion Model Boating Association will be hosting a SAW Trials event April 25-29 in Elizabeth City, NC. It will be held at Fun Junction Park, 983 Simpson Ditch Road, Elizabeth City, NC 27909. For all IMPBA Nitro, FE, & GAS classes. Pre-registration is required, event starts when equipment is setup and working. The timing equipment will be in operation as long s the weather permits for the duration of the event.

CD: Kentley Porter (757) 642-1000
    email Kentley at kentleyporter@msn.com

From KP:

The ODMBA will be hosting the Spring 2012 SAW event. The event will be held on April 25-29 at Fun Junction Park 983 Simpson Ditch Road Elizabeth City, North Carolina. All classes welcome. The event will start when timing equipment is setup and working. The timing equipment will be in operation as long as the weather permits. Pre-Registration is required. To register send me an email with your contact infromation.

Every evening at 4pm only drivers whose boats have been within 5 percent of the record during the event or if you currently hold that record will be allowed to run on the short list. Those on the short list will have the water until dark. If no one on the short list elects to run at any time after 4pm open running will become effective using the daily list until such time that someone on the short list elects to run. At that time only people on the short list are eligable to run until such time that those participants are not running again. This can happen as often as the short list participants pass their turn. No one on the short list can give up their spot for someone not on the short list.

Group rates are available at the following hotels:

Fairfield Inn 252-333-1003
    Hampton Inn 252-333-1800

Kentley Porter
    757-642-1000
    kentleyporter@msn.com

COOL

makes TONS of sense NOW Mike.

Hopefully I am off that weekend and can watch some really fast boats.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Good Luck, Mi Amigos - TEAR IT UP
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

New FE Records from the E City SAWs.

Bill Oxidean
    N-Stock Hydro, 52.313 mph.
    N-Stock Tunnel, 39.563mph.
    N-Super Stock Hydro, 56.904 mph.
    N-Super Stock Tunnel, 37.270 mph.

Ben Gugler, Danny Schumbrecht
    N-Tunnel, 60.289 mph

Don Ferette
    1/8 Scale 100.089 mph.

17 records fell across the board.

Congratulations fellas!!!!
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Congrats to every one.

Don it looks Like I need to work on my 1/8 scale and bring it up a little. Is the boat you ran the build you did this winter? I knew that 100MPH is possable and I hear you have more left in the setup. A big Congrats first scale in triple diggit.

Doug what was the nitro and gas records?
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

The records have been updated.

http://impba.net/attachments/063_REC...MAY%202012.pdf

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post

Kentley Porter
    A Hydro, 94-687 mph.
    B Hydro, 104.554 mph.
    C Hydro, 105.485 mph.

Kentley Porter / Scott Liddycoat
    Sport 40, 87.108 mph.

Jerry Crowther
    A Mono, 55.583 mph.
    D Mono, 86.240 mph.

Don Ferrette
    Twin Nitro Hydro, 113.636 mph.

Trent Ghattas, Butch Fields, Bob Austin
    LSG 27 Cat, 90.000 mph.
    LSG 36 Cat, 91.799 mph.

John Finch
    LSG 27 Sport Hydro, 98.082 mph.

Jerry Crowther
    Classic Thunder Boat, 72.000 mph.

And from Bob Morton's SAW in Pa.

Stephen Sutton
    Super Sport Mono, 45.372 mph.

D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I heard some guy from Georgia almost hit 90 in an FE mono this past weekend.

Congrats to Don, Danny, Ben and Bill.

Sorry I couldnt make it this spring. But I'll be ready for fall trials!!

I heard that a .12 Nitro rigger ran in the 90ties which one is that? A Hydro? What is LSG?
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Yep.

Thanks all!

Danny Schumbrecht was just 1/10 shy of the record for N Tunnel Saturday night and was unable to attend on Sunday, however with his model, I was able to push the record several times on Sunday. A special thanks goes out to Butch the Boatman for his expertise and getting this model running so well. Also another special thanks goes out to Doug Smock for his prop contributions. On the last record run, the timing didn't catch the first pass, but did catch the 2nd and 3rd which were noticeably slower. All this and we didn't even start propping up and both the ESC and the motor were cold without a hint of heat. I attribute the cold temps to the motor available through Jim at MiniCatRacing. All I can say is watch out for Danny's next trip to SAWS!

My N Sport Hydro suffered from old cells which sagged until I put Danny's cells in on Sunday night. Then she skipped on the prop on climbout and was just getting on plane at the first light. I was only able to wind her up to half throttle by the second light. In any case, Jeff Wholt's wire drives and struts did a great job the entire weekend with no hint of giving way, even on the very high RPMs I like to run. I'll have everything sorted out by the next event.

I had a great time with everyone and regret that certain folks didn't make the event due to personal reasons. Hopefully everyone's schedule will align for next time! In the meantime, I've got a few videos that I took on my phone which includes Don's 100+mph scale hydro run, Terry's wreck, some fast passes from Trent, Danny's run on Saturday, plus some others. I still have a few more videos I'll try to post.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/RCMeniscus

-Ben
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Congrats, Gents. Glad it all held up, Ben! Some serious rpm....LOL. Get those hulls tweaked and you are certain to move on up.

Jeff, My N Tunnel (cat) had your strut on her, Any ideas when that "special" flat strut will be ready?
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I heard that a .12 Nitro rigger ran in the 90ties which one is that? A Hydro? What is LSG?
    Yes sir, that's Kentley's A Hydro. LSG is Large Scale Gas.

Ben, good to see you and Danny do well at your first SAW.

D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks Doug, but not my first SAW. I've been to SAW before and Oval Time Trials.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

It was my first SAW!
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nice work, Guys... Thanks for the updates!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Thanks Doug, but not my first SAW. I've been to SAW before and Oval Time Trials.
    Sorry about that sir, I sit corrected.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Default Impba saws

Wonderful event you gentlemen throw out there.
    I would like to thank Kentley Porter, one heck of an event co-ordinator.

No running list, no yelling, no bad attitude, run when you're ready and as many times as you need type of event.
    I'm sorry I had to leave thursday and couldn't enjoy the entire event.

I saw some amazing passes. To see a .12 rigger hit 90+ is exhillarating. Jerry Crowther was down there teaching the world how to run a mono as a 1-point hydro
    The facility is different than any other I've raced at, but Very awesome nontheless.
    Appears made for this stuff.

I felt Very comfortable with the racers, the judging, and the way I was treated.
    Those guys made me feel welcome down there. I got so many runs, I decided myself to cool it, but Kentley said "light 'er up!"

Once again guys thanks for welcoming me. Meniscus offered every bit of help he could from before I even got there until I left.
    Made some new friends down there. Got to see Doug Smock for a hot minute before I left. Yeah folks, some great racin' went on down there on and off the water.
    Those guys had me crackin' up with some of that down south humor.

I'll post some pics and vids in a bit..

It was good to see you for a few minutes before you had to go Bill, congrats again on the records.
    Some clarification. You happened to be there when it wasn't extremely busy. When it gets busy there is a running list. Your name is called and you run or pass (up to you) but there is a list. That's the only way to assure everyone gets the opportunity to "get it done".
    Kentley Porter and the D12 gang put on a first class show, no doubt about it. Can't wait to go back.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by D.Smock View Post
    When it gets busy there is a running list. Your name is called and you run or pass (up to you) but there is a list. That's the only way to assure everyone gets the opportunity to "get it done".
    That's exactly how NAMBA does it at their SAW and 2-Laps as well... I'm sure you have the "Witching Hour" rules as well, right??

Thanks for clearing that up Doug, I'm sure list or not Kentley makes sure no one gets out of there feeling like they didn't get enough runs.
    He honors the 10% bump, and understands as well that its not time to throw a big gas cat in the water just before dark when the water is glass lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I'm sure you have the "Witching Hour" rules as well, right??
    Yes sir. It starts at 4PM.
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by D.Smock View Post
    Yes sir. It starts at 4PM.
    Doug
    It's my favorite time of the SAW day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know that there's always joking about the dome for water conditions, but if we could just manage our own thermals, we could really have some water conditions! (yes, read into that statement however you'd like)

Congrats to every one.

Don it looks Like I need to work on my 1/8 scale and bring it up a little. Is the boat you ran the build you did this winter? I knew that 100MPH is possable and I hear you have more left in the setup. A big Congrats first scale in triple diggit.

Thanks Randy. Actually this one was built the previous winter and after I took the scale FE record with it last spring @ 90 I put it away for the fall but had to wait until this spring to hit it again. Yeah being the first person to put an 1/8 scale over 100mph is a good feeling but there is definitely still more there for this coming fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by don ferrette; 05-02-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: grammar
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Diego....sorry but been nuts with work. Yes soon but that flat worries me with so little meat to shave after machining for bearings.