Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MEOW- Promise Hobby C/K 41" Falcon

Bill M, I meant heavy as in thick, not weight. Perfect for what Bill H was doing w/ his rail. May not bend around complex or tight corners very well.

Scott I do need some heavier i guess b/c I only have that bondo cloth. i used it once in my BJ and it seemed very thin like almost dissappered. lol.
    "If you can't win - Wreck someone who can!"

It's been another day of not getting a lot done on this one today. Running solo means I don't have to answer to anyone, but it also means I have to do my own laundry, get groceries, etc.

Still managed to get the front hatch hold downs cut from some aluminum stock I had and glassed in. Added a hatch lifting knob to the rear as well. This hatch is really hard to lift out unless you happen to have hands that can palm a basketball. While I was working with resin added a layer of carbon fiber cloth ot the inside of my 47" Promise Hobby mono, too. After cracking the gelcoat on it last weekend when it barrel rolled and jumped about 6' in the air it seemed like a good idea to me.

I started adding some closed cell flotation foam down the sponsons as well. I'm thinking of maybe just wedging the packs into the foam and eliminating battery trays in the bottom of the sponsons. Any thoughts on this? Good idea, bad idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good man!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Bill, I wedged the packs in that FC Shocker I had and I really liked the concept. No trays. I found the cog then cut pieces to lock it in front to back from sliding that stayed in and a piece on top that I would remove to get the batts in and out. That slow mo barrel roll that you filmed, the batts hadnt moved at all when I untaped.

Guess I'm starting to milk this one. Haven't really accomplished a whole lot since the last update. Monday I finished up cutting and installing the flotation foam. Last night installed bullets on the esc, checked/set it with the castle link and test fired the motor for the 1st time (4s only). This evening made up a really simple mount from a piece of CF plate and mounted the esc in front of the motor. I plan to shorten the motor leads a bit soe the bullets are not plugged all the way in yet.
    Now I have to wait for the steering servo(s) to come in. May use one, may use two. It just depends on how much luck Dave has with making me a double arm tiller for the speedmaster rudder.

what does plugging in the bullets all the way have to do with shortening the wires?

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    what does plugging in the bullets all the way have to do with shortening the wires?
    They are a "very snug" fit. Why make it harder on myself to uplug them when I get ready to cut the wires and solder the males back on them?

Lookin good! This bad boy is gonna FLY! What pack combo are you using for 10s2p?

Thanks Rumdog. I'll probably back down to 9s 2p for at least the maiden runs. I have some good fresh Zippy 40c 5000's for that setup (use them in my big mono). Right now for 10s 2p I have a couple of ways to go. I have 4 Zippy 5800 30c packs (serve duty in the Miller American too) and 4 Turnigy 25 c 5000's. I could even come up with 1 set of Zippy 40c 5000's but those are the ones I normally run with 4s packs in series for 9s.

Right now my big concern is with the long battery leads that the current esc location will make for. I really need it up there for the cg though. I'd like to start this one around 35%. (that's about where my SC 40 rides).

Guess I should get in here and make an update since this one might get wet tomorrow.

Steering servos arrived yestrday so I've been "busy" ever since getting home from work. Got one in and that's all it's going to get for now. Another one on the opposite side will come after there's a tiller arm to attach it to. One should be sufficient as long as the long push rod doesn't start flexing on me. The Hitec digital 5645MG makes a little over 160 oz in of torque.
    Got all the plumbing ran although I had to use one piece of silicon tube instead of the tygon like I normally use. As it was I used up 48" of 3/16" aluminum tubing that was in my building supples to make the main runs with just short pieces of tubing for connections to the fittings.

After getting all the gear in place loaded it up with 4 5s 5000 packs and the foam that will go into it to check the cg. It's about 1/8" short of the 35% I was shooting for but if I run 4s packs in the rear bays should be right on it or maybe a touch past it. With the batts in place found out I can shorten the battery connecting wires about 2" as well. That's the next project for today. (and maybe some decals so it isn't "naked" for it's debut)
    Last edited by bill34207; 01-21-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added another photo

Here’s the 1st outing on my Promise Hobby Falcon cat. The video has some subtitles so it’s fairly descriptive. I’ll just add that after the final section of the run that the hottest thing was the caps on the esc at 155*. Second were the motor and battery bullets at around 145 motor at 137.
    I think I need to add a little more positive to the strut angle or possibly move the cg back a little. I’d prefer to do it with strut adjustment though. I like my cats around the 35% mark. Overall I’m happy with it’s 1st outing.

http://youtu.be/br727JdZkkY

Awesome job man!
    was this on 9s2p?
    thanks
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Awesome job man!
    was this on 9s2p?
    thanks
    Thanks.
    That was 9s 2p.

Looks Great Bill!!!!!!!!!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12