Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MEOW- Promise Hobby C/K 41" Falcon

Default MEOW- Promise Hobby C/K 41" Falcon

The mail lady dropped this off at my work earlier today. (I wasn't expecting it to arrive for another week)
    Arrived from China without a scratch and overall I'm very happy with the carbon / kevlar layup. (photos don't do it justice)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frank builds a pretty decent hull.

Replacing the Delta Force twin Bill?
    "When too much is just right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Frank builds a pretty decent hull.
    I have to agree Doby and reasonably priced as well.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyoverkill View Post
    Replacing the Delta Force twin Bill?
    This is actually a replacement for my big Expresscraft Thunderbolt twin that I sold. Only it will be built as a single. I'm about ready to put out a feeler for the DF though and see if anyone would be interested in it as a hull & hardware package. (not wanting to part with my 1520's) The Explorer would make a good saw boat but it's not much good for the long oval or offset offshore.

A few more shots for tonight. The Falcon bears a strong resemblance to a Sprintcat on the bottom. It's a fairly light hull as well in c/k. Hull (with rails) and hatch comes in at 5 lbs, 2.1 oz. I'll be fitting this one with a Castle 2028 on WRP 5" rail mounts and Castle Ice 2 HV 200 since mine finally came back from the recall.
    Going to go with a Speedmaster inline strut and rudder since inline seems to work really well on my Sprintcat .40.

Inline????? No way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Inline????? No way!
    It seems to work really well on my Sprintcat that way

After driving to St Pete this evening after work (delivered a plane I sold) didn't get much accomplished tonight. The holes are drilled for the strut & rudder though. A little double sided tape works wonder for holding brackets in place while drilling. The Speedmaster strut & rudder is a pretty healthy piece of hardware. My cat just grew a 6" tail.

Default crap

Ran into a little bit of a snag this evening. Got the motor mount attached to the motor and started to check to see what kind of angle it would need. That's when I found out the rails are spaced wrong at the front. They measure 5" at the transom but are at 5-1/2" at the front where the mounts will bolt up. Looks like somebody at the factory might have gotten an early start on Chinese New Year.
    On the good side, after checking distance from the rails to the tunnel edge I'll only have to cut the port side loose and move it in.

Geez, that's a bummer. Oh well, I'm sure she'll come out nice in the end.
    I'm gonna convert my gas sprintcat to brushless this spring with a Leo 5692 on 10s.

Geez, that's a bummer. Oh well, I'm sure she'll come out nice in the end.
    I'm gonna convert my gas sprintcat to brushless this spring with a Leo 5692 on 10s.
    You must have the "big" (same size as this) SC if it's currently a gasser? That shuold be a good runner too based on the way my .40 class runs. It's got to be one of the better running hulls in my fleet.

Yup, I've got a .40 size too, setup with twin 1515's. Best handling boat I've owned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5O3...82AUAAAAAAAGAA

I'm hoping after I move the rudder back and replace it with a bigger one, my little mean machine twin will improve. The hulls handle well (for their size) as a single and think some more rudder will straighten this one out. At full throttle and full wheel turn it continues to go straight until you let off. Then it hooks and spins out.

Back on track with this one now. Got the rail cut loose and moved over. A dremel with a 90 degree head and cutoff wheel made pretty quick work of that. Still have to glass it back in but that's not going to happen tonight.

Very cool man.. how much are the C/K hulls?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Yup, I've got a .40 size too, setup with twin 1515's. Best handling boat I've owned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5O3...82AUAAAAAAAGAA
    I missed the youtube vid until just now. I remember scorpion1 posting that one over on RCG when I was building my Thunderbolt twin. Very good running hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Very cool man.. how much are the C/K hulls?
    About 300 for the full c/k version. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Kevla...item1e5f2a13a9 then another 75 to ship to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
    About 300 for the full c/k version. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Kevla...item1e5f2a13a9 then another 75 to ship to the US.
    that's awesome man!
    what is the benifit of this vs the glass hull?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    that's awesome man!
    what is the benifit of this vs the glass hull?
    Mostly, a stronger hull at a lighter weight. I'm not really sure if the lighter weight will be beneficial but the extra hull strength is always good in a long oval racer.

Quote Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
    Mostly, a stronger hull at a lighter weight. I'm not really sure if the lighter weight will be beneficial but the extra hull strength is always good in a long oval racer.

Nice hull Bill! I'm sure when its built it will be solid as usual. Too bad that hull isn't a an inch shorter so you can run it in Q. My new goal is to find a nice solid 37-40 inch hull that can compete with the sprintcats.

Did you have to use that video? LOL
    "If you can't win - Wreck someone who can!"

Quote Originally Posted by megalops View Post
    Nice hull Bill! I'm sure when its built it will be solid as usual. Too bad that hull isn't a an inch shorter so you can run it in Q. My new goal is to find a nice solid 37-40 inch hull that can compete with the sprintcats.

Did you have to use that video? LOL
    Sorry about the video Bill, it was just the handiest one since it was the newest. If it makes you feel any better that setup has done pretty close to the same thing to Hugh before. I didn't lap him but did manage to make the offset jog on a couple of laps while he was running the straight line course. My Sprincat just runs great in my opinion. Besides you had a good excuse with the hull you're running. It's too narrow for long oval and especially offset offshore. That's why I'm ready to sell my DF Explorer. Either of those would have some serious potential as a saw hull but I'm really not into saws.

This one actually needs to be shortened about 2 inches to be legal for Q. It measures 41-1/2" from transom to sponson tip. Right now, the best option for beating a sprintcat is another sprintcat.

Nice hull indeed. Bill stopped by my house on the way home from work the day he got it. Its a super clean lay up. For the money, you cant beat it.

Cant wait to see it complete Bill. As with all your builds, Im sure it will be awesome.

Thanks Scott. Not a lot accomplished on it today. My day started with an early trip to Walmart for an oil change. While there picked up some glass cloth and resin since I didn't really trust what I had on hand. (It was getting pretty old and I didn't want to deal with a batch that didn't kick). After getting back home glassed the outside of the rail back in while the motor held it in place. Let that cure for an hour or so and pulled the motor to glass in the inside of it.
    From there moved on the replacing the rudder and bracket on my Mean Machine twin since the rudder for it arrived in yesterday's mail. That was a royal pain due to the way the transom bracket is made on the replacement.
    After that was finished came back to the Falcon and bolted the motor back in and decided to install the stuffing tube. Now it's back to waiting for the glass to cure and maybe later covering the tube installation with a little carbon fiber cloth so it will blend in better. Think I'm pretty much done for the evening though.

walmart sells glass/ resin?

Yeah, its bondo brand I believe, polyester resin. Usually in a small rectangular shape can and in the automotive section. Years ago they used to sell it by the gallon. I used to get it there all the time.
    Last edited by tiqueman; 01-14-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Scott Hang on a sec He found another bunch. he is uploading now.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Yeah, its bondo brand I believe, polyester resin. Usually in a small rectangular shape can and in teh automotive section. Years ago they used to sell it by the gallon. I used to gt it there all the time.
    Scott or Bill have you ever used the bondo brand cloth they usually sell with/around that display?

Quote Originally Posted by megalops View Post
    Scott or Bill have you ever used the bondo brand cloth they usually sell with/around that display?
    Some of that is what I used today. I had some 2oz laying around but wanted something heavier for the rails. The little bit of extra weight is not going to hurt this one either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast