Thread: Diegoboy's Dumas Tuna Clipper (Maiden voyage)

Default Diegoboy's Dumas Tuna Clipper (Maiden voyage)

If you don't like slow boats, hit your browsers back button now

Today, I had the most relaxing day of RC boating in the last three years. It was stressful at first setting a boat in the water with no floatation and about 34-40 pounds of lead inside the hull, but she ran beautifully. I just sailed her around the pond for hours while sitting on the dock we built. It was a blast!

2012-01-089512-40-3595713-1.jpg
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You know... at first, I almost thought you said "34-40 pounds" of lead. Then I read it again. You did say that!

=:-0

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Yes, She is one HEAVY beast. RC Displacement hulls need lead to get the hull down to the water line. Remember, their full scale counterparts are made of steel, not wood. LOL
    It may be a mild exaggeration, but the whole boat weighs in at about 40 pounds
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    Yes, She is one HEAVY beast. RC Displacement hulls need lead to get the hull down to the water line. Remember, their full scale counterparts are made of steel, not wood. LOL
    I get it. :-)

I have a desire to build a big scale tugboat. I grew up along the Champlain Canal in NY and used to watch the tugs pushing fuel barges through Lock 12 in my hometown. I recently read that these tugs (I remember a few from the Kehoe line) were WWII surplus/decommissioned military from the army. Anyway, I also read some build logs for some of the RC models and was shocked by the amount of ballast needed.

Maybe I'll sign up for some welding lessons and build mine out of steel. ;-)

Take it easy,
    desmobob

That, my friend, is WAY COOL!

At that kind of weight, I'm thinking those Tuna line riggings need to be functional! FISH ON??? NO PROBLEM!! :D

What a cool project!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Thanks Darin! as you can see, I'm still working on the crows nest. She is powered by a 12V SLA battery and an ATM motor. The ESC is a Pro Boat brushed ESC!

Hazegry has a video on his cell phone. When I get a copy, I'll post it

I wish I could of been there to see it Danny.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Same here Egneg. I ran the hydrofoil too, forgot to tighten the coupler... lol

Nice looking boat. Can't wait to see the video.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Same here Egneg. I ran the hydrofoil too, forgot to tighten the coupler... lol
    It would take all my fingers and toes to count the number of times I have done that!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

finally, the video...

Was this kit difficult to build? I have been thinking about building one of their Criscraft hulls.

The tuna clipper is notoriously a PITA to build. It seems to be designed as a static model made RC as an after thought. The chris craft models are much easier.

finally, the video...

Looks a bit high in the water.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Cool ride.....

Nice lines and hull wake.

I've built a few Dumas kits...crappy wood and instructions/fittings that look as though they were still from the 50's. As long as you like sanding and can put up with lots of splinters...they eventually do make a decent finished product.....now wheres the vid of the foiler??

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Looks a bit high in the water.
    Nothing that a few more pounds of lead won't solve, LOL.

Sweet, Danny. There's all kinds of ways to enjoy a day at the lake; scale boats have a grace and beauty that sometimes gets forgotten in the quest for more speed. Takes me back a few years to the days I ran my first model ever, a scale model of the 47 foot Textron Coast Guard boat. Thanks for posting

DSC02860.JPG

edit : Why not give some thought to a sub-forum for Scale ? I'll bet that there's lots of us that would love to show off our scale models !
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Sweet boat and nice vid Danny! there's a destroyer in the vid. is that a Ticondiroga class? My brother converted one to rc with functional twin props and rudders. It's also a 1/350. I love your Tug bro! Do you also use it as a retriever?