Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turnigy 4s 40c 5000

Default Turnigy 4s 40c 5000

I ordered these on Sunday from the US warehouse and they arrived in Florida today. Pretty good I would say. Now for the bad. Look at the pictures, one battery is perfect and the other is puffed up 6mm right out of the box. I know better than to try and return it. I guess ther will be no P MONO running this Sunday. BG

STH73070.jpgSTH73074.jpgSTH73075.jpgSTH73076.jpgSTH73077.jpg

what caused the puffing?
    60" Expresscraft SuperCat
    (2) 2028 Castle motors 64.7 mph
    10s3p with x450/3 props
    15,000 mah 40c cells,

I just received two of the same batteries this week from Kintec racing with the exact same problem.

Sorry to hear this. Have you checked the voltage of the cells in the puffed pack?
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

Quote Originally Posted by old sloppy View Post
    what caused the puffing?
    no quality control ?????????????????????????????????? Bg

that really is total rubbish, whoever put them in the package should be sacked!! total lack of quality control and a rip off, it really infuriates me that we, the rc modellers, spend a fortune on very cheaply manufactured products and with "most" vendors have zero warranty or guarantees.

Living in UK, I now really try to only deal with UK vendors, so then return postage is ok in event of a problem, but we have very few vendors selling the likes of turnigy products, and those that do have a big marked up price on things like batteries. I returned a 3cell 5000 mah to hobbyking some time ago as a pack arrived with a shorted cell, it took 3 months to battle with them to get a replacement, I ended up pm'ing all hobbyking staff that used the HK forum and I think it was sending multiple emails EVERY day for 4 weeks that eventually shamed them into doing the right thing, it almost cost me in postage to return the pack the value of another pack! I vowed never to use them again, but need some more packs now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drax21 View Post
    Sorry to hear this. Have you checked the voltage of the cells in the puffed pack?
    Tim, here are the cell readings. BG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ENCORE MAN View Post
    Tim, here are the cell readings. BG
    Will you be using it as a 3 cell? I take that the 4.04 cell has very high internal resistance and that is why it has puffed and is only at 4.04.

Ticket #149999: Defective TURNIGY 4S 5000 40C BATTERY

Your request (#149999) has been received, and is being reviewed by our support staff.

To review the status of the request and add additional comments, please visit www.HobbyKing.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRIAN, Jan-07 10:25 (HKT):
    Hi, I received my Turnigy 4s 5000 40c batteries. One battery was perfect and the other is defective. The battery arrived puffed and is unusable and unsatisfactory as a new item. I have included pictures of the batteries and cell count rating. The good battery reads a perfect 4.20 4.20 4.20 4.20. The faulty battery readings are in the photograph. Please send me a replacement battery ASAP. Thanks in advance for this, Your customer looking for help, Brian Giardelli.

Attachment(s)
    STH73070.JPG
    STH73074.JPG
    STH73077.JPG
    STH73080.JPG
    STH73079.JPG
    STH73076.JPG

Tim, I am a fighter. This is my ticket for HK to replace it. We will see what happens. BG

DSC00995.jpgDSC00996.jpgHere are pictures of the one I received.

Quote Originally Posted by mohsb View Post
    DSC00995.jpgDSC00996.jpgHere are pictures of the one I received.
    WOW!
    Funny the bag says ok lol

Quote Originally Posted by pmdevlin View Post
    that really is total rubbish, whoever put them in the package should be sacked!! total lack of quality control and a rip off, it really infuriates me that we, the rc modellers, spend a fortune on very cheaply manufactured products and with "most" vendors have zero warranty or guarantees.

Living in UK, I now really try to only deal with UK vendors, so then return postage is ok in event of a problem, but we have very few vendors selling the likes of turnigy products, and those that do have a big marked up price on things like batteries. I returned a 3cell 5000 mah to hobbyking some time ago as a pack arrived with a shorted cell, it took 3 months to battle with them to get a replacement, I ended up pm'ing all hobbyking staff that used the HK forum and I think it was sending multiple emails EVERY day for 4 weeks that eventually shamed them into doing the right thing, it almost cost me in postage to return the pack the value of another pack! I vowed never to use them again, but need some more packs now!!
    Check out performancemodels.co.uk, they are new and Mike is great to deal with, my Turnigy packs arrived next day and are perfect

I've just had the same thing. Only one of the cells is puffed. It says on hobbykings site that if you are not prepared to return a damaged pack for safety reasons then they will not honour any warranty. What a cop out. Surely no one would send a puffed pack through the post!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattwarner View Post
    Check out performancemodels.co.uk, they are new and Mike is great to deal with, my Turnigy packs arrived next day and are perfect
    I didn't know there was a decent UK site thanks.

Brian all the best with HK. Fight to the death.

I have 8 of these coming (30-40C version) in next week on the 12th from the US warehouse. At this rate I'll have 4 bad packs!!!!!!!!!!

I done a test today between a standard Turnigy and a WinMax battery. The Turnigy fell at the first hurdle. Charging. The balance plug has a bad connector on it and it was sliding on and off the pins..... Took ages to charge too 50mins at 7amps. Winmax battery connected perfectly and charged at 7amps in 15mins!! The performance of the 2 batteries was about the same but the quality control is definitely better on the WinMax.

nice link! an hour or so from me, so I might also be able to save on postage!

Quote Originally Posted by pmdevlin View Post
    nice link! an hour or so from me, so I might also be able to save on postage!
    Free postage over £100 which I always find dangerous!! Drax where did you get the winmax ones from? Definitely a lack of UK suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattwarner View Post
    Free postage over £100 which I always find dangerous!! Drax where did you get the winmax ones from? Definitely a lack of UK suppliers.
    I was gonna buy the WinMax battery off of ebay but I decided to type it in the internet instead. Went onto Oople forum and someone had 1 for sale. Paid £45 though. basically what you would pay if you ordered from ebay. The battery surprised me quite a bit. I have a thread about this Winmax battery called WinMax Any good? I will be writing up my test results later comparing them to other batts!

I have given up totally on all Hobbyking batteries. Too many DOA, puffed on arrival, short lifespan, dead cells, etc. The GensAce from Hobbypartz have proven for me to be far superior with similar pricing and cheaper shipping.

I have just order two batts from a new company, www.haiyinstore.com . Good prices and specs and best yet they are here in the U.S.A, so easy choice for me. Hope they work out well.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    I have given up totally on all Hobbyking batteries. Too many DOA, puffed on arrival, short lifespan, dead cells, etc. The GensAce from Hobbypartz have proven for me to be far superior with similar pricing and cheaper shipping.

I have just order two batts from a new company, www.haiyinstore.com . Good prices and specs and best yet they are here in the U.S.A, so easy choice for me. Hope they work out well.
    I would love to buy from Hobbypartz Gen Ace batteries but they have no system to mark down the costs which equals customs fee and the shipping is high to me. Anyway I have had 6 packs of batteries from HK. First 2 were perfect. 2nd lot had bad balance connector on 1, and 3rd lot (Nanos) are also perfect. I'm waiting for the Euro store to open for Haiyin and I think I will go to the factory if I get chance. At the moment I think I have enough packs to see me through the winter though. I just got a Hyperion 4s 4200 45c Brand New on ebay for $70 including P+P.

only problem with that haiyin place is the highest they go in the 5000 packs is 30C.
    just picked up 4 new zippies and a rhino, the zippies are yet to be tested (need connectors from Ben) but the rhino wouldn't charge after running for about 5 mins, still trying to diagnose.

No wonder you've been having problems if your charging at 7 amps, its User error not the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by iamandrew View Post
    No wonder you've been having problems if your charging at 7 amps, its User error not the batteries.
    The Turnigy batteries can be charged at 2c 2x5=10amps. 7amps no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    only problem with that haiyin place is the highest they go in the 5000 packs is 30C.
    just picked up 4 new zippies and a rhino, the zippies are yet to be tested (need connectors from Ben) but the rhino wouldn't charge after running for about 5 mins, still trying to diagnose.
    Not quite true, I have ordered 4s 5000 40c batteries from Haiyin for 56 dollars each....BG

Quote Originally Posted by ENCORE MAN View Post
    Not quite true, I have ordered 4s 5000 40c batteries from Haiyin for 56 dollars each....BG
    Yes I too have seen the 40c. That would be the one I would go for. Its funny the 30c and 40c have different charge ratings.

I hate to see these Turnigy horror stories... I guess I've been lucky.

I've purchased seven 3S 2200mah and three 3s 1500mah Turnigy and Zippy batteries for my airplanes and helis, plus six 2S 5000mah 40C and two 3s 5000mah 40C Zippy batteries for my boat from HK, and they've all been perfect. I've used the 2200mah and 1500mah batteries a lot over two seasons of flying and they're all holding up very well. I'd guess I have somewhere around 30 cycles on the 2S 5000mah batteries with no problems.

Maybe I better quit while I'm ahead? From all the posts I've read on batteries here and elsewhere, I plan to buy Gens Ace LiPos in the future.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Dood i think your information is wrong, i really think you should charge at 2 amps and see if you ever have any problems again

what are you trying to charge them with? because your looking at more than 100W of draw

Quote Originally Posted by iamandrew View Post
    Dood i think your information is wrong, i really think you should charge at 2 amps and see if you ever have any problems again

what are you trying to charge them with? because your looking at more than 100W of draw
    Charging a 5000mah battery at 2 amps would take almost 2 1/2 hours

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast