Thread: 2012 FE Racing IMPBA District 12 (MD, VA, DE, DC, NC)

Default 2012 FE Racing IMPBA District 12 (MD, VA, DE, DC, NC)

Well 2011 was an interesting year with some drama, pond problems and cancelled races. But we still enjoyed good times and great racing. On the FE side, the district added a open FE hydro class and open FE mono class which gave us the opportunity to run just about any boat in the fleet. This was D12 Director Don Ferrette’s proposal so I thank him for that!! FE growth also continued with a half a dozen first time FE racers that included both IC cross overs and new racers. The combined FE/Nitro classes continue to run well together with no issues brought up by either side. Our Spec Classes continue to enjoy the most participation. On a side note, I know a few of you were not in favor of specifying which speed controllers can be used in our Spec classes. But as time goes by I’m convinced we made the correct choice. Over the last year I’ve heard stories how groups that have gone with open controllers are having a high motor failure rate. I have read posts describing the spec motor as a fuse and suggestions that to be competitive, motors have to be pushed beyond their designed limitations. I have read that spare motors (plural) in tool box are a must. Most disturbing, I've read how new racers have been discouraged because they can’t keep up with the more experienced racers. I wrote the Spec rules in the D12 to have a fun, competitive, economical and reliable class to attact new racers. So far we’ve hit the nail on the head with a steady increase in FE participation and minimal equipment failures.

That brings us to 2012. I know ODMBA President Dick Loeb wanted to get some good news to us about the Chesapeake pond by the first of the year but it hasnt happened yet. Keep your fingers crossed!! The winter meeting will be in a month or so where we’ll discuss the racing schedule, plus class and rule changes for the coming season. I don’t expect any significant changes. If any of you have a rules proposal or change, I invite yot to present them at the district meeting. Just a reminder that any changes in rules and classes are voted on by the club and district officers at the district meeting. I am not a voting member. I'm just kind of the D12 FE conciliary.

We’re getting more and more hull choices for FE racing and thats exciting. Over the last six months we’ve seen a Thunderboat, Jersey Skiff and a new Sport Hydro by Mike Luszcz unveiled. I see D12 members showing interest in all of these hulls with a bunch of guys on Mike's sport hydro list and I find that very encouraging.

I’m looking forward to new D12 racers joining our ranks. Including MarylandFE (Pete) and HydroMike from the Delmarva Penninsula and Joe Yang who joined the Capitol RC Club late last summer.

Thats it for now folks. Post anything thats on your mind. Let us know what your building and what your planning on running this year. I just finished a new gas boat to replace the Stock Gas DF Sniper I raced for two years. I’m stepping up to a full mod Aeromarine Vector to run Gas Mono and Open Offshore. I’m also finishing up a TS-3 for P-Spec Tunnel next year. I had a bad taste in my mouth after running the Woodstuff in 2010 but after seeing all the fun everyone had in Spec Tunnel last year, I had to get back in the game. I’ll also be running a P-Mono and P-Spec Hydro (with my sport hydro). My son John will be running the JAE in P-Spec Hydro and his VS-1 in P-Spec Tunnel.

Hope we all have a great racing season in D12 this year!!
    Last edited by Chilli; 01-03-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Well I'm looking forward to this year also. Hope everyone is working to make this year even better good luck and see u all this racing season

Any word on when we're having time trials? I haven't seen it on any schedules yet.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Spring trials are ususally held in April but I havent seen anything official. As soon as the paperwork is sent to the IMPBA by the host club, it should be put in the Master Events/Race Calendar on the IMPBA web site. There was no ovals trials last fall, just SAWs. Don't know if there will ovals this spring.

Hey fellas,
    Your spring RT is April 25-29 at Fun Junction Park, Elizabeth City NC.
    CD Mr. Kentley Porter.

Doug

PS Keep up the good work!!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks Doug.

For those that don't already know, the Elizabeth City event Doug posted will be SAWs.

I also got word from one of the Baltimore Club members that the Greenbrier State Park pond in Hagerstown. MD has reserved the weekend of April 20-22. So there is a good chance that is when the first District race of the season will be held. Though I don't consider anything official till announced at the winter meeting.

Didn't know there were SAWS this past Fall. I was ready for 3 classes, but no one called me as promised. Oh well.

Thanks for the info guys!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Didn't know there were SAWS this past Fall. I was ready for 3 classes, but no one called me as promised. Oh well.

Thanks for the info guys!
    The IMPBA has a quarterly newsletter (March, June, Sept., Dec.) called the Roostertail. The Master Race Schedule can be found there.
    http://impba.net/
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Ben,

Page 47 of the December Roostertail has the Elizabeth City info on it.

If I was the one who was supposed to call you, I apologize. I was planning on oval trials this fall and when I found out ovals were not going to take place, I put trials in the back of my mind. BTW- You didn't miss much this fall. The winds were terrible all weekend long during SAWs. Don posted that he never even pulled a boat out of his trailer and you know he runs big boats.

Historically trials are held every April and November in D12. I don't get any special notification from the district for trials events. I just try to keep an eye out and post them here to spread the word.

Hope you can attend in April. Good Luck!!

I wasn't accusing anyone. Far from it. It is unfortunate that the conditions didn't cooperate. What I really miss is the opportunity to talk to everyone at one of these events. I'm looking forward to April. Does anyone know if we're looking at conducting time trials at the same pond in Franklin? It would be helpful to know so that I can adjust for that super buoyant water. Thank you everyone for the info. Ultimately it's my fault I didn't pay more attention.

It's all good Ben. I was hoping there would be oval trials this spring but it doesnt look like it's going to happen. I'm pretty sure the Franklin thing last spring was a one time shot. Chesapeake is the normal location and untill that situation gets relsolved, we're going to have to sit on our hands unless another club steps up. And after the fiasco with the last district race in 2011, I'm gun shy offering the Centreville site in April. We got a ton of rain last spring. Anyway I've got four boats ready to go when ever oval trials kick back up.

I'll give you guys a heads up if I see paperwork on a oval trial in D12.

D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Sounds great guys. It sounds like I need to work harder at securing that pond by me. Doug, how much lead time from submission of paperwork to race event does it require if we find a location and the IMPBA qualified local folks are available to run the event?

From the IMPBA Rule Book. Page E-3

A. The purpose of sanctioned events is to allow all IMPBA members an equal opportunity to
    participate. For this reason, sanctions must be published to the general membership in either the
    "Master Schedule" or "Quarterly Report" well in advance of sanction dates. This will allow
    ample time to plan attendance.

B. All sanction requests must be submitted to the IMPBA office by January 31 to be included in the
    Master Schedule. All sanction requests require the approval of the District Director who has the
    responsibility of coordinating all activities in his or her district. A copy of the Master Schedule
    will be included with the first Quarterly Report in March of each year.

C. For additional Record Trial sanctions to be granted, they must be published in a "Quarterly
    Report" prior to the date of the sanction. Sanction requests not in the Master Schedule will
    require approval of the District Director and must be received by the IMPBA office by the date
    shown on the left column to be valid for the month in the right column.

Sanctions received by Published in Valid for
    February 1st Quarter Report- April thru December
    May 2nd Quarter Report- July thru December
    August 3rd Quarter Report- October thru December
    November 4th Quarter Report- January thru April*

I think this means you need all the paperwork completed and approved at least two months prior to the event.

After you secure a pond there are some other requirements.

http://impba.net/images/stories/Rulebook/sec-k.pdf

One the requirements are met you can be sanctioned.
    How far is that pond from Kentley?
    D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Good info Doug. I had read some of that before.

The pond is in Chesapeake, near the state line with NC, about 50 mins from E-City, 15 mins from the Old Dominion pond. Pond measures around 900 by 1000 ft. for the main body of water with a leg that would support a straight away section measuring 1600 ft. and maybe a little more. No neighbors to bother with the noise. It is fully surrounded by thick woods which creates a great wind brake any direction the wind is blowing. There is one big issue though, the water is deep as I understand, but I have not measured how deep yet. The bottom line is, I've been trying to build the trust of the owner, then ask to run a few special events. Then we can build on the trust to ask for use year-round. The one thing I don't know is, since I believe it was once a partial sand pit, federal law may apply to use other than mining, etc. That is what I ran into on another property a few years back. The owners were willing, but couldn't allow access due to federal law.

Dick is aware of this pond, but never had an introduction to the owner like I have since I hunt on a neighboring property. As soon as something more is firmed up, I plan to introduce Dick to the owner and let them handle the logistics. It is not my intent to speak on behalf of IMPBA and Dick knows all of the ins and outs.

Ben, is it the lake that looks like a boot, or the one that has a finger of land? The later would be my preference. judging from Google maps the south shore has been cleared, and it looks like dozens of cars could park there. Though, after a good rain it could be a bit muddy. The expressway I believe is a $6.00 toll one way, $12.00 total, *on weekends*,Yikes! Can you get around by using Battlefield Blvd. ? This lake appears to be the only option in this area to hold an event, GOOD LUCK!

It is the one with the finger. All the way around is kept clear, but I don't know how far they go with crops from year to year. Yes, you can get around using Battlefield by getting off at Hillcrest, so no tolls needed. It only adds 3 minutes to the drive. Again, I'm concerned about the federal quarry issue. I've definitely got my fingers crossed. I'm just tired of waiting!