Thread: 2012 FE Racing IMPBA District 12 (MD, VA, DE, DC, NC)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2012 FE Racing IMPBA District 12 (MD, VA, DE, DC, NC)

Well 2011 was an interesting year with some drama, pond problems and cancelled races. But we still enjoyed good times and great racing. On the FE side, the district added a open FE hydro class and open FE mono class which gave us the opportunity to run just about any boat in the fleet. This was D12 Director Don Ferrette’s proposal so I thank him for that!! FE growth also continued with a half a dozen first time FE racers that included both IC cross overs and new racers. The combined FE/Nitro classes continue to run well together with no issues brought up by either side. Our Spec Classes continue to enjoy the most participation. On a side note, I know a few of you were not in favor of specifying which speed controllers can be used in our Spec classes. But as time goes by I’m convinced we made the correct choice. Over the last year I’ve heard stories how groups that have gone with open controllers are having a high motor failure rate. I have read posts describing the spec motor as a fuse and suggestions that to be competitive, motors have to be pushed beyond their designed limitations. I have read that spare motors (plural) in tool box are a must. Most disturbing, I've read how new racers have been discouraged because they can’t keep up with the more experienced racers. I wrote the Spec rules in the D12 to have a fun, competitive, economical and reliable class to attact new racers. So far we’ve hit the nail on the head with a steady increase in FE participation and minimal equipment failures.

That brings us to 2012. I know ODMBA President Dick Loeb wanted to get some good news to us about the Chesapeake pond by the first of the year but it hasnt happened yet. Keep your fingers crossed!! The winter meeting will be in a month or so where we’ll discuss the racing schedule, plus class and rule changes for the coming season. I don’t expect any significant changes. If any of you have a rules proposal or change, I invite yot to present them at the district meeting. Just a reminder that any changes in rules and classes are voted on by the club and district officers at the district meeting. I am not a voting member. I'm just kind of the D12 FE conciliary.

We’re getting more and more hull choices for FE racing and thats exciting. Over the last six months we’ve seen a Thunderboat, Jersey Skiff and a new Sport Hydro by Mike Luszcz unveiled. I see D12 members showing interest in all of these hulls with a bunch of guys on Mike's sport hydro list and I find that very encouraging.

I’m looking forward to new D12 racers joining our ranks. Including MarylandFE (Pete) and HydroMike from the Delmarva Penninsula and Joe Yang who joined the Capitol RC Club late last summer.

Thats it for now folks. Post anything thats on your mind. Let us know what your building and what your planning on running this year. I just finished a new gas boat to replace the Stock Gas DF Sniper I raced for two years. I’m stepping up to a full mod Aeromarine Vector to run Gas Mono and Open Offshore. I’m also finishing up a TS-3 for P-Spec Tunnel next year. I had a bad taste in my mouth after running the Woodstuff in 2010 but after seeing all the fun everyone had in Spec Tunnel last year, I had to get back in the game. I’ll also be running a P-Mono and P-Spec Hydro (with my sport hydro). My son John will be running the JAE in P-Spec Hydro and his VS-1 in P-Spec Tunnel.

Hope we all have a great racing season in D12 this year!!
    Last edited by Chilli; 01-03-2012 at 11:08 PM.