Thread: Supervee battery question-2 batteries

Default Supervee battery question-2 batteries

Ok, I have had my used SV for a couple of weeks now and I just upgraded my battery charger. It appears one of my "brand new" batteries is not taking a charge. So I found out I have been running the boat on 1 battery. My question is-Will my boat be faster with the second battery? Or will the run times just be longer? Or both?

Your boat wouldn't run or even "Arm" if you only had 1 battery working.... it might not be taking a full charge for whatever reason but it is still working.

And yes ofcourse, if you have to FULLY charged good quality batteries then your boat will run faster and abit longer..

Tone

Quote Originally Posted by makin' waves View Post
    Your boat wouldn't run or even "Arm" if you only had 1 battery working.... it might not be taking a full charge for whatever reason but it is still working.

And yes ofcourse, if you have to FULLY charged good quality batteries then your boat will run faster and abit longer..

Tone
    Actually, it does arm and it does run with just one battery hooked up. I ran it all over the pond with 1 6 cell battery hooked up to it, then I did the same with one 7 cell battery hooked up. The other was not even plugged in. I do not have a second 7 cell yet so I wasn't able to try to see if it makes a difference.

Tone, I think my wiring may be set up different. I was looking at a photo of the ESC for sale on Kintec's site and the wires are routed different than mine.

it must be mate, mine won't do anything with just 1 battery plugged in.

Tone

Ya, mine is wired different. Not sure if it is a good thing or not?? I ran the boat over the weekend on one battery.

The stock Supervee 27 (mine, early SV27) has 2 7.2v batteries wired in series, supplying 14.4v. If only one battery is connected motor/esc will not run, as it is an incomplete circuit. After cooking my original motor, I replaced it with a HobbyWing 3660 (3060kv) & HobbyWing Sea King 60A Esc, running 2 Gens Ace 3s1p 4000 mah 25c batteries wired in parallel. Performance was good (speed)with long run times & good motor, esc & battery temps. So now the bad news......2 days ago the Esc quit, with a backorder from the dealer. Anyhow, as stated your stock SV27 will not run with only one battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp73 View Post
    Actually, it does arm and it does run with just one battery hooked up. I ran it all over the pond with 1 6 cell battery hooked up to it, then I did the same with one 7 cell battery hooked up. The other was not even plugged in. I do not have a second 7 cell yet so I wasn't able to try to see if it makes a difference.
    is your SV27 battery wiring been modified to parallel by someone? I was think of the same if the SV27 can run on 7.2VDC with out damaging the ESC and motor, to sacrifice performance for longer running time by modifying the battery wiring to parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
    is your SV27 battery wiring been modified to parallel by someone? I was think of the same if the SV27 can run on 7.2VDC with out damaging the ESC and motor, to sacrifice performance for longer running time by modifying the battery wiring to parallel.

Yes, that is what had happened. The boat was rewired before I purchased it.

Says 3 s in the post Lenny. 11.1 volts

I run a boat at 40000 rpm for sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaving Earth View Post
    I run a boat at 40000 rpm for sport.
    Sorry don't really understand what that means. My question is can the SV27 safely run on 7.2VDC by modifying the battery harness to parallel. Will under voltage cause a problem?

Sorry don't really understand what that means. My question is can the SV27 safely run on 7.2VDC by modifying the battery harness to parallel.
    this was more aimed at lenny.
    we still havent figured out how your sv is wired… is it wired parallel already? or is it series? can you post some pics of it so we can help you? thanks

The boat is long gone. Sold it several months ago and I did rewire it to run lipos. I just got the airplane bug and gave up on boats.

Cripes I didn't notice how old this thread was

Quote Originally Posted by Heaving Earth View Post
    this was more aimed at lenny.
    we still havent figured out how your sv is wired… is it wired parallel already? or is it series? can you post some pics of it so we can help you? thanks
    my boat is wired series (stock). Was just wondering if I can re wire it to parallel and run on 7.2VDC safely. Without damaging the ESC and motor. Pretty much more time less performance.

Default 7.2VDC Parallel

my boat is wired series (stock). Was just wondering if I can re wire it to parallel and run on 7.2VDC safely. Without damaging the ESC and motor. Pretty much more time less performance.
    Jetskier you can certainly safely re-wire your batteries to parallel, again assuming stock 7.2v batteries & motor. Original battereies are 7.2v and motor 14.4v (2@7.2 v battereies parallel). If you run the 14.4 motor at 7.2v you will get long run times with decreased speed. I re-wired my SV to parallel as I was going to Lipo batteries and wanted the longer run times allowed using 2 14.4 batteries in parallel.

But if you do that the esc will see a low voltage in the setup I think and go to bump running.
    Also you better time your runs or you may pull the voltage on your packs down to far,
    And trash them.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

A friend of mine want to sell me the battery on the top with the same rating 5000mAh but I notice the wires are only 14 AWG and mine at the bottom have 12 AWG wires. Can I use the one he is selling? Is there a difference in discharge rate?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It just may get hotter a litter faster with the higher gauge,
    How much does he want for it ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

$20.00 he claims only used it a couple of times. First time using a 5000mAh battery, all my other toys are 1600 mAh tops so w
    hat is the best or highest charging current to apply?

Have you ever ran lipo cells in your boat yet ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

no, this is my first boat. it's my Winter Spring project. been running RC trucks for a while, just want to get into RC boat looks like fun.

What do you run in your trucks ?
    I was just looking at buying my first buggy,
    It's a 1/6 scale at HK.
    I never had any real rc cars other than radio shack stuff that I trash picked.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

wow 1/6 is the big boys. I have two 1/16 traxxas mini E-Revo, one 1/16 Traxxas Ken Block drift car, I run a pair of 1600mAh in all on Lipo yet.

Well this is a good time to start,
    Boat pull a lot more amps all the time and always have drag from the water in less they get air born.
    Liops cells are about 1/2 the price of nimh cells and run a lot cooler,
    Also they will make your stuff run a lot better.
    Last edited by lenny; 02-21-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

thanks for the advise regarding RC boating. I know all too well about water drag. if I let off the throttle of my ski too fast, it's like pulling the E-brake. 110hp is nothing on the water.

Yep,
    I started out with a Rio ep for 75.00 on CL,
    And was running nimh cells and doing all kinds of mods to it to get it faster.
    Than want to brushless setups and lipos and saw the big pay offs of my mods and work I did.
    What ski do you have ?
    I have two old 1991 seadoo sp that need a lot of work now.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

05 SXR w/Factory Wet Pipe
    Attached Images Attached Images