Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win Max Lipos Any Good?

Hi Drax ,

Much like Australia I guess mate , governments tax anything that moves ( LOL - Not )

Brad
    Oz
    Roy Cooper's www.fastonwater.co.uk - Where Brittish Raceboat History Comes To Life !!!

hi Drax

Seeing your review on win-max lipo makes me want to buy some. I have been wanting to get @leaderhobby 8 x 22.2v 50c-100c 5200mah, but Im still curious as I've bought their kingmax 35c last time and they are for me junk and underrated, after just a few laps my boat stops and check one of the cell is dead, I bought 4 of it and all have 1 dead cell after a run. Send it to my friend and re-solder it back. I won't be getting kingmax anymore.
    Stiletto tunnel,EPV135 (53") twin cat, CT06"Spirit of Qatar", FD 47" mono, Twin Mini Cat 23.5"

I got to test my winmax last week on my Geico and they're not bad. I bought 4 x 2s 35c 5200 for $14 each which prompt me to gamble on them. I was running 2 x 4s 35c Turnigy Nano-techs in parallel and while I dont have gps, I found that using 2 x winmax in series is a hair faster - maybe this is due to the weight vs using 2 x 4s which are heavier.
    Run time with the winmax wasnt great - it only gave me 3.5 -4min till power dropped. I could see possible factors - like maybe it was the first time being used. Hopefully they will improve more after more cycles on the batts. Either that or my Turnigy 3674 4-pole motor with 442 prop is really power hungry.

The Winmax batts are hardcase and their power wires are plugged from the top, so in my Geico they have to be bended right away as they were hitting the roof. Unlike my Turnigy batts that have their power wires at the end of the pack. QC was also lacking with Leaderhobby - one of my batts didnt come with a power wire/balancing lead. I chatted with their rep but they want me to take pics of everything and send it to an email. Good thing a friend of mine has an extra one from a non-performing 2s batt pack which he has used for years, so I didnt bother complaining further to Leader.
    With 3s and 4s packs, I find the price of Leaderhobby a bit higher than the Turnigy Nano-techs of HK - so will continue getting from HK. However, the winmax 2s of leader is worth its price specially at $14 each, from a one-day promotion sale of $17.
    I will try these 2s packs again this coming Sunday in my HK Princess boat in a saddle pack configuration - in series for a total of 4s.

Keep the reviews coming , it's good to read about how they are performing from an independent source such as owners , as you guy's tell it how it is ....

Brad
    Oz
    Roy Cooper's www.fastonwater.co.uk - Where Brittish Raceboat History Comes To Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel279 View Post
    hi Drax

Seeing your review on win-max lipo makes me want to buy some. I have been wanting to get @leaderhobby 8 x 22.2v 50c-100c 5200mah, but Im still curious as I've bought their kingmax 35c last time and they are for me junk and underrated, after just a few laps my boat stops and check one of the cell is dead, I bought 4 of it and all have 1 dead cell after a run. Send it to my friend and re-solder it back. I won't be getting kingmax anymore.
    Hi Mel. I have seen Kingmax, Winforce and Transmetic all fail miserably. I have noticed a major increase of sales on the winmax batteries through ebay so they must be some good. With my 4s pack I am finding the discharge ratingsare accurate but the mah is slightly off. I have a battery analyzer coming, should be here by weds. It will tell me the actual size of the pack. Leaderhobby admit that Winmax are their best by the price they put on them. Winmax have been making batteries for a few years and have only just started with Lipos. They make AA and AAA batteries too. Packaging looks a lot like Duracell. Type in WINMAX AA

8x 22.2V is a fair bit of money. Since I only have 1 Winmax battery I can't confirm Quality control and some batteries may differ. All I do know is that every Winmax battery sold on ebay has had a positive feedback.
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

Hi Drax ,

Just wondering how those Winmax batteries of yours are going , as they may have through a few cycles by now . Considering buying the 50c 6s 5000mah in the near future for my current tunnel project. ....

Brad
    Oz

Quote Originally Posted by rcboatmanwithkids2880 View Post
    Hi Drax ,

Just wondering how those Winmax batteries of yours are going , as they may have through a few cycles by now . Considering buying the 50c 6s 5000mah in the near future for my current tunnel project. ....

Brad
    Oz
    I changed my motor and went 6s so I sold the Winmax battery but when it left me it had 5 cycles, showed no resistance, ran like new. I'm also going to buy some more Winmax batteries in the future. The pack did get warm after runs of 3mins but it was only a 30c battery and my set-up may of been drawing more. I would definitely go for the 40 or 50c versions.

Hi Drax ,

Yeah my system is said to draw about 100amps , though with the desired prop m645 it should draw about 130ish . So the 50c may be a bit of an overkill , but at least they will have less wear over time hey ?? Anyway by the time I go to buy them , I am sure you guys would have reviews about them after you run them for about 6 months , reason being six months , as there is no hurry for me to buy batteries as I am sending this project to Oulton Broad , East Anglia in the North East of England to take part in an exhibition . Roy Cooper the owner of The website www.fastonwater.co.uk will be holding around mid year on Bob Spalding's life , which I have based this build on . If you go to Fast On Waters homepage & click on a story called " Velden To Return To Oulton Broad ? " you can read more about it .

Brad
    Oz
    Last edited by rcboatmanwithkids2880; 02-10-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Hi Drax ,

Yeah my system is said to draw about 100amps , though with the desired prop m645 it should draw about 130ish . So the 50c may be a bit of an overkill , but at least they will have less wear over time hey ?? Anyway by the time I go to buy them , I am sure you guys would have reviews about them after you run them for about 6 months , reason being six months , as there is no hurry for me to buy batteries as I am sending this project to Oulton Broad , East Anglia in the North East of England to take part in an exhibition . Roy Cooper the owner of The website www.fastonwater.co.uk will be holding around mid year on Bob Spalding's life , which I have based this build on . If you go to Fast On Waters homepage & click on a story called " Velden To Return To Oulton Broad ? " you can read more about it .

Brad
    Oz

That's great Brad. Nice detailed story of your life with boating. I will be buying some Winmax 40c 5200mah 5s batteries soon and testing them in a hopefully faster version of my Cyber Storm which I have a 1520 coming for. With shipping from china to me. It will probably be a while before I receive them.

Hi Drax ,

You should inform them of your positive remarks that you have made on OSE.COM , the Worlds best F/E Boating forum - now I'm doing It ( lol. ) ...

Brad
    Oz

I noticed yesterday in our weekly boating run that a lot of my fellow boaters use Winmax batts bought from leader hobby. Mine, after 5 cycles seems to be doing fine.
    I will be trying 6s soon, so I will look into Winmax as well.

Quote Originally Posted by macdon View Post
    I noticed yesterday in our weekly boating run that a lot of my fellow boaters use Winmax batts bought from leader hobby. Mine, after 5 cycles seems to be doing fine.
    I will be trying 6s soon, so I will look into Winmax as well.
    I too am looking now for 5s and 6s batteries and with the cells of these Winmax batteries performing like Gens Ace. I am very pleased with them. Even the 4s 5200 30-60c battery let me hit 56MPH and the boat needed tuning and I was running the pack by itself !

I also forgot to add on the 5th cycle I re-calibrated my balance charger and the Winmax battery once again balanced flat across the board 4.20. I then put into storage mode which left them at 3.20 3.20 3.20 3.20.

I think more people need to know about these batteries although I have to say the 4s one described above sold well on ebay and got me the exact money I paid back!
    Last edited by Drax21; 02-13-2012 at 09:24 AM.

I will be getting more soon but will be testing INTERNAL RESISTANCE, TOP SPEED (in a tuned set-up this time), Hopefully get a few graphs going! Comparing against Nano-Techs and ....Hyperions!
    I also think I will start a new thread and call it WINMAX LIPO REVIEW

Hi Drax ,

Like the sound of that thread , would be good to read about the comparison between Winmax & more higher priced offerings . By the time I'm ready to buy 6s batts I may just invest in 6 50c 5000mah type ....

All the best mate ,
    Brad
    Oz

Ok so I have purchased
    2x 4s 4200mah 50-100c Winmax batteries from Leaderhobby
    Now Is the long wait....Hopefully I get a tracking number
    They should arrive in perfect time with the weather warming up

They seem to be a bit low Amp wise for what you would require hey Drax , did Leader Hobby give you a favorable discount after you told them about the test you are conducting ??

All the best mate ,
    Brad
    Oz

They seem to be a bit low Amp wise for what you would require hey Drax , did Leader Hobby give you a favorable discount after you told them about the test you are conducting ??

All the best mate ,
    Brad
    Oz
    Hi Brad

My Hyperion packs are 4200mah 45-90c so I thought I would go for the closest possible with the Winmax 4s 4200mah 50-100c
    I will be running these packs in parallel eventually but first test will be done individually to see if they can put out that (C) rating.
    Will let you know when they arrive. First thing I will check is Internal Resistance and Cell Voltages.
    Last edited by Drax21; 02-27-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Hi mate ,

Didn't realize they were to be the equivalent specs to your Hyperion , will be great if they match twice as expensive product ....

Brad
    Oz

Hi mate ,

Didn't realize they were to be the equivalent specs to your Hyperion , will be great if they match twice as expensive product ....

Brad
    Oz
    If the Winmax batteries perform I am thinking of becoming a vendor of them. Need some good results over time first.
    The packs actually weigh more than Hyperion according to the website which is good!
    I actually have never bought off leaderhobby direct before so I hope the service is good.
    Anybody got any experience of buying off the website?
    Last edited by Drax21; 02-22-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Let me know when you become a Winmax dealer Drax , & I'll send some busniess your way . After 50-100c 5000mah 6S packs as you know. ...

All the best mate ,
    Brad
    Oz

Let me know when you become a Winmax dealer Drax , & I'll send some busniess your way . After 50-100c 5000mah 6S packs as you know. ...

All the best mate ,
    Brad
    Oz
    Alright Brad, Thanks for that mate. Lets see how the packs perform against Hyperion's first. So far I have had no update or anything to say whether the batts have been shipped or not. Going by the feedback on ebay, most people have got the batteries pretty quickly. Hopefully that is the same for me..

-moved-
    Last edited by Krusher; 05-12-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusher View Post
    I found this thread by searching on Yahoo! for WinMax Lipo batteries and thought I'd add some FYI. I ordered my 3S packs on Wednesday and they arrived here today (Friday) from Leadershobby. They are 4200mAh, 50C batteries on sale from the Miami warehouse; China would have been much longer of course. Here's the voltages I have on the 4 packs. Meter=Amprobe AM-140-A. (It's a decent, accurate portable meter if you don't have lots of $ to spend on a Fluke).

1=3.8956, 3.9156, 3.9144
    2=3.8964, 3.8846, 3.9043
    3=3.9134, 3.9166, 3.9144
    4=3.9038, 3.9137, 3.9054
    Weight (avg)=357g

Since I use 6S total, I'll be pairing up 1+2 and 3+4 most likely.

I'll post a follow-up message in the future once I get connectors on them and a few runs in late next week. I'm going from old 30C 4000's to new 50C 4200's so it should work out well (I hope).
    Hi Krusher thanks for the post on this thread. Any info gathered about these batteries would be great. I actually started a new thread since the Winmax batteries arrived and compared them against Hyperion. The Winmax batts are doing well! If you could post in the other thread that would be great it's called Winmax 50-100c Lipos vs Hyperion 45-90c . Battery testing Review

here's the link https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...818#post413818

I'm off with my Winmax and Hyperions today. I will also be putting my results in the thread.

Sorry about that; I remember seeing your 2nd post earlier now but forgot about it when I searched for "WinMax Lipo" a second time. I'll move that message now into your other posting which is newer/more relevant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12