Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win Max Lipos Any Good?

Default Win Max Lipos Any Good? Testing Etc

I have seen these in a few places for sale now. Packaging looks like they spend a bit of time on but haven't heard of people running them.
    The pack I have my eye on is a

WinMax 4s 5200mah 30-60c discharge. Nano-Platinum
    Also says it can be charged at 5c

So from these details, they sound some good and are priced around the same as Turnigy's Nano-Techs.

Anybody have any experience with these?
    Last edited by Drax21; 01-08-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

Thread moved
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Check out this link, not Winmax but a LeaderHobby lipo review.
    http://neptronix.org/posts/dont_buy_...batteries.html

I happened to come across LeaderHobby and Winmax yesterday and was looking for reviews just as you are. I have not found many positves about any lipos LH sell, RCGroups has a couple of threads on the subject as well.

The 6S 5200 50-100C are just too good to be true for under $80.

I have bought one off a member on another forum. He uses the winmax 4s batteries and he said he gets good run times and he is very happy with the power. He even uses them in competitions and has won a few car races with them.
    He bought a 5200mah instead of a 4400 one by mistake so sold me the 5200 battery. If you don't want to take the risk. Let me try out this battery in my boat first. Will let you know if its any good.
    I have noticed that a Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000mah 35-70c is about 100grams heavier than a WinMax Nano-Platinum 5200mah 30-60c.

Look forward to your review...I was planning to use them as 12S 5200 in a 800 size E heli.

Did you know they sell on ebay too. Plus you get buyer protection on ebay if something does go wrong. I have just been looking through some seller's feedback who sell WinMax Lipos. 5 vendors on ebay alone all with practically the same description so may just be Leaderhobby. There has been NO negative or neutral feedbacks for these batteries..all positive!
    My battery will be here on Weds/Thurs. I really hope I haven't wasted my money!

I havent tried them either - but for the price, I guess I'd gamble.

I just received the 4pcs of 2s 5200mah Win-Max Nano-Platinums before the new year and currently charging them early to test this coming Sunday. Bought this for my Miss Geico.
    I hope they will be okay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They look pretty good from the outside. But as I have always been told "It's whats inside that count" lol

If a battery is lighter, that's a pretty good indication that they're blowing smoke up your you know what. It is the DENSITY in the battery (the denser, the heavier) that gives you the high C ratings. I would suspect the lighter pack doesn't really produce what they advertise it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Drax21 View Post
    I have bought one off a member on another forum. He uses the winmax 4s batteries and he said he gets good run times and he is very happy with the power. He even uses them in competitions and has won a few car races with them.
    He bought a 5200mah instead of a 4400 one by mistake so sold me the 5200 battery. If you don't want to take the risk. Let me try out this battery in my boat first. Will let you know if its any good.
    I have noticed that a Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000mah 35-70c is about 100grams heavier than a WinMax Nano-Platinum 5200mah 30-60c.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Those TRANSMETIC batteries are total junk. I got suckered into a couple of them on fleabay. Don't buy 'em! Waste of money regardless of how cheap. They died after about 6 cycles!

Quote Originally Posted by trippergreenfeet View Post
    Check out this link, not Winmax but a LeaderHobby lipo review.
    http://neptronix.org/posts/dont_buy_...batteries.html

I happened to come across LeaderHobby and Winmax yesterday and was looking for reviews just as you are. I have not found many positves about any lipos LH sell, RCGroups has a couple of threads on the subject as well.

The 6S 5200 50-100C are just too good to be true for under $80.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    If a battery is lighter, that's a pretty good indication that they're blowing smoke up your you know what. It is the DENSITY in the battery (the denser, the heavier) that gives you the high C ratings. I would suspect the lighter pack doesn't really produce what they advertise it will.
    Yes this is what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Those TRANSMETIC batteries are total junk. I got suckered into a couple of them on fleabay. Don't buy 'em! Waste of money regardless of how cheap. They died after about 6 cycles!
    Thing is the WinMax ain't that cheap, costs more than Turnigy. The 5200mah 4s is normally $70 with shipping. If the batteries turn out to be absolute rubbish, my review will go on every forum I'm on. That's about 10. If its good. I will do the same and share the news. Here is to hoping!

Turnigy 5000mAh 4S 20C Lipo Pack 536grams
    same weight as a winmax 5200mAh 4s 30-60c pack 536grams

so that would = the winmax pack will give 20c not 30 the 60c I doubt.

Pack didn't arrive today. The man who sold them to me just sent me a PM saying he has been away and got back to late today to post it. So he said he will make sure tomorrow.....
    So you and I will have to wait to the weekend.

Will be testing the packs on

Balancing
    Run time
    Temps
    Max Speed

currently don't have an eagle tree system but I will also be running a Nano-Tech pack and a Turnigy standard pack to compare against. I even have a Powerplus pack (cheaper copy of flightpower)
    Have spoken to another happy owner of these Winmax batteries today. He said "They give the same performance as my Turnigy's"

So I'm getting my hopes up.

Win-MAX Nano Platinum 4s 5200mah 30-60c First impressions

Good Points
    Battery came in its own box, pack is not puffed, got an attractive packaging with some certificates on the pack to say it has passed standards. All cells look good. Balance wires made of PVC.
    All cells were at 3.93 exactly!

Bad points
    Wires are only 12 AWG. Very thin. Pack feels lighter(will confirm later) than my Turnigy 4s 5000mah 30-40c batt. All wires are very short from new. 3 inches on the Pos +Neg. 1&3/4 on the balance wires.

Battery is balance charging now at 7amps. Up to 16.70 now. Will be running in my cyber storm if weather stays dry today! comparing against a Nano tech pack and a Powerplus pack. Here are some pictures.

DSC_1675.jpgDSC_1676.jpgDSC_1677.jpgDSC_1678.jpgDSC_1679.jpg

The standard Turnigy pack takes a lot longer to charge at the same amps. I was quite amazed at the speed the Winmax was done. Will give balancing figures later.
    WinMax =15-20mins
    Turnigy = 45mins

Default Testing

So here are my results. Didn't get to test out all batteries today and boat has a few major tuning issues to work out but I have some results.

I ran a:
    Powerplus(Flightpower cheap copy) 3300mah 25-45c 4s
    Turnigy 5000mah 30-40c 4s
    Winmax 5200mah 30-60c 4s

Powerplus battery results as expected

Balancing -Took long Didn't cells were 4.20 4.15 4.13 4.16 Internal resistance B grade
    Run time -2 mins
    Temps -36C very warm-hot
    Max Speed -Stinger error (new set-up) 30MPH

Turnigy Battery
    Balancing -Took long 45mins at 7amps but 4.20 4.19 4.18 4.20
    Run Time -5.30 mins
    Temps -24C Good
    Max Speed -35MPH

Winmax Battery

Balancing -Took 15mins at 7amps 4.20 4.20 4.20 4.20 perfect!
    Run Time -5 mins (I believe its more like a 4700mah battery)
    Temps -26C Good
    Max Speed -36MPH

This testing was a bit of a fail because of the freezing cold winds and bad set-up but at least this gives you some results.
    Winmax produced the C discharge rating, balanced perfectly but MAH is not as stated. Pack has better quality control than Turnigy and has met all the same standards as Turnigy. I will be messing with my boat set-up tonight and will be retesting. Overall I am happy with the Winmax pack. Just about to re balance charge now. Will give you the results.

Put the pack on storage charge all cells at 3.86

Difference in weight between a Turnigy and WinMax pack.

Turnigy 4s 5000mah 30-40c = 586grams Size: L 14.5 x W 5 x H 3.5cm
    WinMax 4s 5200mah 30-60c = 534grams Size: L 14 x W 4.2 x H 4.2cm

Think this shows that the Turnigy pack has accurate mah whereas the winmax size has been exaggerated.

Have tested batteries since, still a little out on my stinger and cg but got 45MPH on the Winmax pack
    tested against a Nano-Tech pack and the Nano-Tech pack was the better of the 2.
    Winmax is a 30c though and Turnigy Nanos are 35c.

Winmax also sell 50-100c versions which have thicker wire gauge. I want one!
    Overall the pack is good quality 8/10. Cells have very low resistance.
    Balance charged perfectly 3 times now all 4.20 on a ECO 8 charger

where did you get these from?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattwarner View Post
    where did you get these from?
    A member on a forum called Oople but you can get them on ebay and I have been told that the sellers will write down costs on the packet if you ask them to save you paying customs fees.

Hi Guy's ,

Following this thread with interest , as I am after 4X 6S 40C 5000 packs in the near future , was thinking about Zippy , as they received some good reviews from forum members that have used them after multiple recharge with positive remarks . It would interesting to see how you guy's feel about these Winmax batteries after multi recharges .....

Brad
    Oz
    Roy Cooper's www.fastonwater.co.uk - Where Brittish Raceboat History Comes To Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcboatmanwithkids2880 View Post
    Hi Guy's ,

Following this thread with interest , as I am after 4X 6S 40C 5000 packs in the near future , was thinking about Zippy , as they received some good reviews from forum members that have used them after multiple recharge with positive remarks . It would interesting to see how you guy's feel about these Winmax batteries after multi recharges .....

Brad
    Oz
    Hi Brad I have re-balance charged my Winmax batteries 3x now and they are balancing perfectly on all cells. Somehow the resistance is very low!!
    I use a 150W ECO 8 charger from Hobby King.
    My Turnigy's never balanced this well!! Heres a link http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/airwave200...84.m1438.l2754

I would type in Winmax 22.2 to ebay then click worldwide. They are 5200mah

Here- - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nano-tech-...ht_2754wt_1144
    Last edited by Drax21; 01-14-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Sounds like you have found a worthy set of batteries , so congratulations on that mate . Just hope they hold up over time as we all would be keen on knowing if they faulter with repeated usage - though they have good efficiency about them as you report . With a lot of R/C gear being imported from China , it will be great if the situation arises in the next few years that there is much competition between manufacturers , which should lift there product performance / quality & lower the price against gear that is also made in China though has a more desirable brand name . This is being seen in the R/C market by the release of BL Motors from Leopard etc. ......

All the best Drax ,
    Brad
    Oz
    Roy Cooper's www.fastonwater.co.uk - Where Brittish Raceboat History Comes To Life !!!

So the the 4th cycle Cells are slightly out on full balance charge at 5.2amps (5200mah)

4.19 4.20 4.19 4.20

Nothing major. It is hard to get another 1 of these batteries in the UK but Leaderhobby sells them in the US I believe. So most of you on here are lucky. I would def buy more at this point.
    Will report more after 10 cycles.

Hi Drax ,

Surely the Hong Kong based Ebayers who sell the Winmax Lipos , would have no problem in sending to the UK , just another source for UK Guy's. ....

All the best Drax ,
    Brad
    Oz

Quote Originally Posted by rcboatmanwithkids2880 View Post
    Hi Drax ,

Surely the Hong Kong based Ebayers who sell the Winmax Lipos , would have no problem in sending to the UK , just another source for UK Guy's. ....

All the best Drax ,
    Brad
    Oz
    Hi Brad I did talk to the sellers on ebay. They said make a note in paypal about marking down costs for customs. Customs fees are the problem. If I pay £30 for a battery I get a £28 customs fee and handling fee charge. Hopefully they will mark the costs down. I like the 50-100c batteries now so I think I am going to sell this one. Anyone interested? It's a great battery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast