Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West Florida Model Boat Club - Swap Meet - 2/12/12 at Ackerman Park, Sarasota FL

Default West Florida Model Boat Club - Swap Meet - 2/12/12 at Ackerman Park, Sarasota FL

This isn't really a racing event but Steven said it was OK to list here.
    We are attempting to raise funds to round up some additional equipment so we could actually host a race and thought this might be a good start.
    All items RC are welcome whether it be boat, car, plane, heli etc. There are a couple of flying clubs in this area so it could be a fair market for models that fly through the air as well.

$5.00 setup fee for sellers-traders. (bring your own tables)
    Free admission to browsers and buyers.

It hasn't really been decided yet if there will be a concession stand so may be a good idea to bring a cooler if you plan to make a day of it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bill34207; 01-10-2012 at 05:40 AM.

PM replied Scott.
    As long as we're bumping... thought I'd mention this swap meet is another way to invite some of you other guys from around the state over to run with us afterwards. (kinda gets us around not having a safety net in place as an open water test n tune). As an added bonus the wind which is usually pretty bad there in the mornings seems like it dies down a bit shortly after noon. Do bring your NAMBA cards though.

I posted on jims R/C dock, and as soon as the administrator on international waters clears my registration, I will post it there too. several of the gas boat guys down here said they might attend as vendors. We need to post on RC planet and RC groups too.

Good deal Brian. I've started dropping off some printed flyers at the LHS around here.
    I'm going to start adding a couple of items for feelers to see if there's any interest in them before hauling them down there as well.

Things like this big 1/8 scale Cermark F-16 EDF. It takes up quite a bit of room in my van but if somebody thinks they want it. I'll be willing to bring it for a closer inspection. I have over 3 grand wrapped up in it. It's been flown twice (no crashes) but I can't get myself comfortable to fly it due to time and $$ involved. I'd sell it as a rx ready for $1500 or as a bind n fly with a 2.4 JR 9 channel rx for $1650. I could have sold it already if I was willing to ship it, but I'm not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll post a Swap Meet flyer at our local flying field and bring it up at the Bay City Flyers club meeting tonight.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Just as an update. If the ones planning to attend will email Scott wfmbc.scottk@yahoo.com so we can get a head count we might be able to convince him to bring out a grill and have a concession stand. The biggest thing about doing that is that the club doesn't want to buy a bunch of food and have it go to waste.
    We're planning to do some raffles as well. Check with Scott for more details.

I will Definitely be at the swap meet and will have a friend with me. I agree, you need to have a concession. At a minimum you should have cold drinks and chips and if possible coffee and donuts in the morning. You should be able to do that with the generator I would think. Does Sams sell ready made deli sandwiches? If so, that may be an easier solution than cooking. Not sure.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I'm still against the concession. Unless I get a bunch of emails from non club members about attendance I think its a waste of time and money. 3 people have stepped up within our club and asked me what they can do. 3 people cannot run the show and grilling is just one more thing. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. I think a cooler w waters would be most bennificial for the first swap attempt. Just my .02

Coffee and donuts are always good sellers. I go to a few airplane swap meets where that is all they offer since it's a morning function. The swap meet is usually over before anyone is hungry for lunch. They usually sell out the donuts/rolls. You can also make a good profit on coffee/donuts without the need for a grill.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Guys I could donate some jackets for the raffle if we are doing that.
    Dave

You sure are a good (make that great) guy Dave. Our gang is lucky that you decided to settle here in our neighborhood.

Signed in so far:
    Bill H (table)
    Chris (volunteer)
    Brian M (table)
    Ted W ( a lot of tables)
    Larry (table)
    Brian L
    Hugh (table)
    Jim (table)
    Dave
    Ray (table-s)
    Dan (table)
    Brian W (tables)

I have 2 or three things of my own to sell and may have some Fightercat stuff from Benjamin. Depending on how much I end up with, I may have my own table or may ask if I could place it on Bills and be a volunteer.... If I can share w/ Bill, Ill still pay the $5.00 set up fee for my stuff.

OSPREY, can you plan on bringing your canopy?
    Last edited by tiqueman; 01-24-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    OSPREY, can you plan on bringing your canopy?
    10-Roger

I'll bring my own table(s)
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I will have;
    Lots of props- most are already sharpend and balanced - ready to run.
    Servos
    Hardwear
    One big boat
    Prop pitch gauge
    ETC

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

I wont have much:
    A gas v hull
    electric heli
    Larrys "one big boat"
    Geico/ Mystic and BJ26 epoxy replacement hatches
    And maybe some other misc FE items

Don't forget me.. Tables with canopy

Count me in for as much as I can stuff into a car that I am shipping from Texas to Fl. I have some RTR nitro boats, hydro hulls, radios parts, engines. Hoping for 2 tables of good but unused hobby gear.
    Had a great time this Sunday, thanks to all.
    Ted H. Wachter
    West Florida Model Boat Club
    East Texas RC Boaters

I'll have 2 tables worth of hulls, hardware, motors , speedo's, etc.

Whiplash
    Twin Genesis
    Twin HOTR Apparition
    DF33 Clone
    HOTR 27" Shovelnose

Etc, etc.
    Last edited by RayR; 01-26-2012 at 07:47 AM.

The park might not be large enough, LOL
    Ted H. Wachter
    West Florida Model Boat Club
    East Texas RC Boaters

Quote Originally Posted by teddyboy View Post
    The park might not be large enough, LOL
    We're going to reserve the area inside the fence for sellers setup only, so there should be plenty of room Teddy. We'll park the buyer's/browser's along the east end of the lake and let them walk unless they want to pay $5.00 for the vendor pass.

I sure hope there isn't another function going on that day.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I just hope we have a good turnout of airplane people. I started going through my battery collection last night and have put together a bonanza of small 3 and 4s lipos from planes I no longer have.
    Found a few esc's that I'd forgotten about having as well. Even a nip Turnigy marine HV80.

Well I finally got the opportunity today to stop by ACE Hobbies in Venice and drop off a couple of fliers. I spoke with Dave (the owner) and and he was very receptive of both our club and, the swap meet fliers. He said he gets people in there all the time asking about local clubs and r/c activities. I told him some of our club members were also into planes, helis, cars, trucks, etc... so I hope that will help to yield the kind of turn out we're hoping for at the swap meet.

He also asked if WFMBA had a news letter, to which I responded, "not yet".... any thoughts on the news letter aspect....?

Quote Originally Posted by osprey21 View Post
    He also asked if WFMBA had a news letter, to which I responded, "not yet".... any thoughts on the news letter aspect....?
    It would be cool to work towards that. Thanks for getting the word out Chris. Greatly appreciated.

Good deal Chris. I'm hoping the weather is good enough this coming weekend to justify a trip down to the SRQ facility so I can hang a hard copy flyer. I sent one of the pdf's to the club president when we 1st made it up and he forwarded it via email to all the SRQ members. Still, a little reminder as the time gets nearer is good for us folks that suffer from crs.

On the newsletter, I'd say just refer folks to our website. It get's updated frequently and I've started adding the same text descriptions used in our run day reports here to the imbedded vids there.

Quote Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
    Good deal Chris. I'm hoping the weather is good enough this coming weekend to justify a trip down to the SRQ facility so I can hang a hard copy flyer. I sent one of the pdf's to the club president when we 1st made it up and he forwarded it via email to all the SRQ members. Still, a little reminder as the time gets nearer is good for us folks that suffer from crs.

On the newsletter, I'd say just refer folks to our website. It get's updated frequently and I've started adding the same text descriptions used in our run day reports here to the imbedded vids there.
    That's basically what I did.

and BTW - I stopped by Ackerman yesterday and replaced the chain and quick link on the gate.
    Last edited by osprey21; 01-25-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast