Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLONE Skunkworks Gen2 Cat?????

Default CLONE Skunkworks Gen2 Cat?????

It broke my heart when I saw this DTRC E32 cat made in China! Coz I have a skunkworks gen2 cat project and I thought there were only 12 these hulls were ever made?
    Funny thing is, I think I saw this picture years ago. I just stumbled with this photo again today. Now, I don't know what came first, this China cat or the skunkworks gen2. They look identical or it's just me?

DTRC E32 German Cat (Made in China)

Product parameters:

1) Motor: 540-3674 or 540-3674
    2) Motor Brand: DTRC
    3) Hull: Fibre Glass/ Epoxy Resin/ Carbon Fibre
    4) BL ESC:120Ah-100Ah
    5) Radio: 2 channels (can be 3 channels) included
    6) Product Size(LxWxH):785×230×110mm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tagasagwan; 12-29-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Cool

The original hull was the H&M Agitator. It was splashed by the Chinese, notably Head of the River, among others. Skunkworks had one of the Chinese splashers make a few for him, adding some minor details. But these hulls are 810 mm long, not the 785 mm you show.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks for the info mate. So, only the length and some cosmetics were changed?

Hard to tell from the photos. Are you certain the length is only 78.5 cm from bows to the rudder mounting surface?

Well, we can never be sure about the actual dimensions but, I just copied the specs from their website.

I saw this one on ebay to and thought the same thing.. a Splash
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

well, on the bright side, I got myself a skunkworks gen2 handmade by scott. I've seen videos of the other builds. I think couple of those videos are yours fluid? The link was posted on another thread. They were saw passes in L.A.? These hulls can handle great speeds considering its size. Still, I'm happy to own one. Hehehe! I wonder where are the other 11 of these hulls?

I have one...

Twin Cat.jpg
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

DSC00090.JPGI have one also

That's great! I know Fluid and Bakedmopar has one too. So, there's five of us so far! Hehehe! Did you guys run it in twins? I have not decided yet if I'm gonna install twins or single drive. Twins doubles everything including the cost! Hahaha!

Here's mine with my ekos. both are bare hulls still. Hope I can find the time to start the build. Both were reinforced with extra layers of Fiberglass in key areas and resins poured 1/2 of the tips. Skunkworks has CF layed on the motor & esc area.

4S/1521 = 83, 6S/1515 = 88.

I have one as well. Bought it in December.

Wow Fluid that's a very sweet set-up! I have a castle 1512 1800kv motor. Do you think that will work well? where did you get that motor mount? Nice! Sorry for the questions mate. This is going to be my first cat build. I usually run V's. We use the same GPS. Those Garmin Geko's are light but takes forever to lock on to satellites.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwink View Post
    I have one as well. Bought it in December.
    The last skunkwork Cat was sold by scott on ebay. Is that the one you got?

The motor mount was from SouthRiverRC. A 1512/1800 should work fine on 4S, just watch the heat as it has minimal mass to handle it and won't swing large props like a larger motor will. My Skunk was over-built to survive 80 mph crashes - which it did just fine.

I have twin Aveox 36/30/1.5 motors with T120 ESC's. I have the Venom 36mm cnc props at present but am prepping a pair of 38mm/2 props from Fighter Cat.

S5000436.JPG3750.jpg
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I have one as well, picked it up from bigpapa a couple of months ago. Should be ready for water in a week or to. I will post pics later today. Anyone have an inside pic with ESC's and batteries installed for twin? Trying to finilize my layout.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The motor mount was from SouthRiverRC. A 1512/1800 should work fine on 4S, just watch the heat as it has minimal mass to handle it and won't swing large props like a larger motor will. My Skunk was over-built to survive 80 mph crashes - which it did just fine.

Thanks for the info on the mounts. I'll check it out. Need to get as much info as I can before I start my build. I know a little more than a monkey when it comes to cats! Hahaha! Well, I have a 1512 1800kv, KB45 kv unknown yet I got as a gift last Christmas from egneg ( Thanks again Egneg!) if I decide to go single drive. Unless I'll be able to find a 1521 or 1515 locally. Still searching thou. I also have a pair of Feigao 540 10XL's if I'll go with twins. Not yet sure what to do? hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I have twin Aveox 36/30/1.5 motors with T120 ESC's. I have the Venom 36mm cnc props at present but am prepping a pair of 38mm/2 props from Fighter Cat.

S5000436.JPG3750.jpg
    Those aveox are really Nice. Somehow I find it hard to locate a store that offers them. with the props, I have a pair counter rotating X442 I believe they were S/B by you but I got them from another member. where di you get your rudder by the way? That thing is sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by mohsb View Post
    I have one as well, picked it up from bigpapa a couple of months ago. Should be ready for water in a week or to. I will post pics later today. Anyone have an inside pic with ESC's and batteries installed for twin? Trying to finilize my layout.
    Brian
    Now there are seven of us that have a gen2 skunk. So, you're going twins! What motors are you going use?

Quote Originally Posted by tagasagwan View Post
    Those aveox are really Nice. Somehow I find it hard to locate a store that offers them. with the props, I have a pair counter rotating X442 I believe they were S/B by you but I got them from another member. where di you get your rudder by the way? That thing is sweet!
    The Aveox motors are no longer made but are comparable to Neu's. As for the rudder it was a gift from diego boy and I believe it is a German.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I got the next to last one on ebay from Scott. I have not yet started building it yet. It looks so sweet just sitting there.

Just read this, I also have one of them. Hanging from the ceiling in the workshop waiting for a cold cold day in june when I will build it..... Brian

They are available on Ebay from China painted a dark blue/black colour. DTRC models made them too besides "Skunkworks".

Same hull, they also sell the Gen1, a great LSO boat.
    Nortavlag Bulc

When my My Skunkworks 2 arrived from the States, I had reinforced her with extra glass then kept in her box for 4 months now! Geez!

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I saw that one too Ray! I wonder how's the quality? i love how scott made the skunkworks 2. It's very well made!

I bought one of the Red white & black Sprint cat knock off ones and the quality is very, very good. Sponsons are very flat & true. Solid, needs no extra material except a transom block of wood. I'll use just a small patch for the rudder & strut.

Edges are not so sharp but, thats the heavy paint. Paint is very well done. I'd say a 8.5/10 hull quality but, I have to modfy the exhaust from nitro to sealed electric. Very easy actually.

This is the start. I used black cf to cover and make tape down overhang.
    Nortavlag Bulc

That is nice! Love to see her progress Bro! Are you gonna start a build thread for her? A friend of mine who's in the fiberglass business is creating a 37" Cat with turbine canopy based from the Geico offshore boat and a one off 40" Cigarette type deep-v boat. What electronics are you gonna use with your new toy?

I'll do a small build thread as it will be quick. The strut get here tomorrow and I have all other parts to setup as Limited Spec offshore.

For LSO just a 1850Kv Arc 3655 (our club allows all motors 36mm x 56mm max, max 2100kv inrunner or outrunner. I may try a AQ UL-1 motor I have but, it's heavier than a Miss Geico bu a little.

Just running 5800 Turnigy packs and 150 amp Hi-model esc or 120 amp T120.

I'm making the motor mount convertable to longer motors with tail ring support just in case I get the itch for more power but, the Arc wuld be really fun on 5S.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I don't see the CF there. Hehe

hey Shawn! Nice to see you here! I believe the photo was taken before it was sealed off. It was originally for nitro. just like our SM29 then we made it Electric.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast