Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unlimited Hydroplane Size does matter

Quote Originally Posted by jevmax View Post
    What a stupid idea. Just put an in-line gas motor or a Matha gas engine in that hydro, or stick to 1/8th Scale. Then those of us who have actually done it....... Can help you!

Jevmax why is that a stupid idea? Maybe the OP can't run gas/nitro at his local lakes anymore or at all, and has to do electric now so putting a gas
    engine in would be a stupid idea..........

Default 20 HP produces 50 MPH

Just for reference, the 1950's full scale 11.5 ft length "B Stock Utility" in my avatar
    shown above weighed 320 pounds including the driver, gas and motor and it went
    50 MPH with a 47 pound "Champion Hot Rod" 20 cubic inch outboard motor which
    produced about 20 horsepower. Lighter weight hydroplanes with this motor went
    about 54 MPH. This provides another size/weight/power/speed data point for your
    performance estimating.

Quote Originally Posted by daveives View Post
    Just for reference, the 1950's full scale 11.5 ft length "B Stock Utility" in my avatar
    shown above weighed 320 pounds including the driver, gas and motor and it went
    50 MPH with a 47 pound "Champion Hot Rod" 20 cubic inch outboard motor which
    produced about 20 horsepower. Lighter weight hydroplanes with this motor went
    about 54 MPH. This provides another size/weight/power/speed data point for your
    performance estimating.
    those are fun to watch today!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Ok so if it's a stupid idea and I do get it going 50-60 mph it's a start then who's stupid now. It's an IDEA that's what a hobby is, try and try again, and if that don't work put a bigger motor. A boat that size I would love to see it going 75-80 mph than you wish you had it. I don't care for gas motors to much but if it comes to it then yes i'm going to put a 10 HP mini bike motor to it. hornet-50cc.jpg

Podagee nobody is saying its stupid but it will not be done on anything resembling a budget , I give you credit for wanting to do this - I have a 57" Apache and it is a huge pain in the a$$ carting this to the pond and back - my boat is pinner compared to what you want to build
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

If you are determined to power the hydro with electrics and have the money, consider using two Lehner 3080-8 motors, two Schulze 40-160 controllers, and 10S/10,000maH packs. Parallel drivelines. Start with Octura X465 props. Set up properly, that big hydro will fly and sound awesome. I'd love to see it go.

OMG and make sure there are no other boats/people/critters on/in/and or around the pond you find big enough to run this. My testicals are too small to take on this kind of liability. That's just me though. I'm kind of a negative nancy.

Twin 3080 ($1600?), Thunderpower G6 10s/10000 x 2 ($1400?), 2 schulze 40/160 ($1500?) = $4500 before you've bought any hardware. All for a "might/should/could" work? Yikes. How much is a gas turbine?

I got fed up with the cost of T boats when we were still using Nimh. It tied up too much of my boat resources. Then when something would go wrong it always cost hundreds of dollars. Oops, prop was too much baked a single cell in a matched pack. Ugh. Cold slolder joint. Another matched set wrecked. ugh. Or there goes another $600 speedo. Grab the extinguisher! Schulze will fix it in a few months. I'll have to buy a replacement canopy for the melted one. It just sucked. At least now there's enough information available to avoid the learning curve on 10s setups.

I think that's what Jim was eluding too. With an 1/8 scale on 10s there are plenty of guys that can give you guidance. Getting into this kind of setup is uncharted territory for 99.9% of the FE community. Nobody has done it. Well, nobody I've heard of. Anyone that tells you they have THE answer is guessing. Guessing with your money too. Even Jays math is an estimate based on years of experience. All that trial and error takes time and in some casses gobs of dough. Even if you call Steve Neu and have him design a custom system just for this boat....... HE's going to be guessing. That's a sharp dude but he's not a boat guy.

It's not a stupid idea. Crazy maybe but most of us are in FE land so you're in good company. It's the tie that binds us. haha Just make sure you know what you're getting into. Throw out any notion that finding the right setup will be reasonably priced and accept that there's a possibilty of total failure in the quest for speed. If you can accept those two things you'll be fine.

Oh.........and try not to kill anyone with it.

Well I like being crazy and if it all works out then I'm sure there will be more boats this size in FE. If not well I can hang it in my garage and say wow nice boat. Yes I do have a truck and I Fly two 600 Trex Heli's one 500 Trex heli and three offroad cars and one onroad drifter. and thanks I'll keep that in mind about the 3080's. I want to keep it safe for everybody and namba only covers up to 60" boats so I may have to go with a 60" Hydro. I got the Plans from Newton and I didn't like it so I'm getting Plan 164 1994 Bud, But I'll paint it Bud light blue or something cool. I would like to stay with FE just because I've never seen one done that big. And with all the high tech motors we have now days there's gotta have a motor that can make a boat fly on water. Well I'll try it first, and if it do not work out then we'll all know that it can't work in FE. BUT if it works out see you at the race's.

As far a multiple motors go, an OSE member put them in line, as in on a common shaft.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...highlight=quad

I know that some of the regular sized DIY Electric Vehicles do this, mainly for drag racing. Thye call it a Siamese motor
    http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/index.php
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Did that in-line motor setup ever pan out? I keep thinking there's too much potential for a missfire with 4 ESC running independent of one another. Frishizzling a speedo seems imminent.

With a great big boat I would think you could run two separate drive lines. I mean "scale" is kind of irrelevant at this size.

Way back a thousand years ago Vasdekis built a Cyclone cat with 5 Aveox powered gear drives to 5 props. Had a 60 Nimh in it too. Terrifying setup. All those 4 pole motors and speedos winding up sounded like an alien spacecraft taking off.

Did that in-line motor setup ever pan out? I keep thinking there's too much potential for a missfire with 4 ESC running independent of one another. Frishizzling a speedo seems imminent.

With a great big boat I would think you could run two separate drive lines. I mean "scale" is kind of irrelevant at this size.

Way back a thousand years ago Vasdekis built a Cyclone cat with 5 Aveox powered gear drives to 5 props. Had a 60 Nimh in it too. Terrifying setup. All those 4 pole motors and speedos winding up sounded like an alien spacecraft taking off.

Forget about in line connected brushless motors. Just run parallel drive lines. Two props. Two 3080-8s, etc. it will work great.

I have to agree with the boys here , forget the inline set ups thats a wiring nightmare and forget any notion that two 5692's are going to do it for you . here is a size comparison between a chevy 305cid and the Bugati Veyrons W16 8.0Litre quad turbo motor................... The motors interior would spell an even larger difference and then comes the build quality and motor efficiency

5692 and a Lehner 3080

5692 rotor = 27mm x 50mm
    3080 rotor = 30mm x 80mm

The second picture is a HPR 92" cat powered by twin Lehner 3080's , these hulls can approach close to 80+ mph if not faster and weigh in at over 70 pounds . So in reality there are guys out there running in that size bracket and doing it with electrics .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Punisher 67; 01-19-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

wow that's some nice cat's

Keep working on em boys, soon we can ride in one and have racing with real drivers....

Full scale! hehe How many cells you figure that'll take Steve? I am not strapping my big behind to that.

Wanna nice biggie ?

http://www.radtekpowerboats.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11KxNebPwGU

Biggies, Biggies,
    buy 'em by the ton.
    Spend a lotta' money
    Have a whole lotta' fun
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rvzYgF28JE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDUq16zowo

Probably the two best videos of FE powered HPR 233's.

Best regards,
    Manuel

where i can find 1/6 scale hydro?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12