Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks New Sport 20 Hydroplane for FE or nitro, pics and build thread

I like that hatch Mike! I wouldn't mind having one of those made for mine...I guess I would still like to see how the glass cowl turns out....
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

It's starting to look verynice. With your painting skills it could look lots nicer. I wouldn't wait on the Tyndall fin. UL1 fin should work.

PM sent.

Thanks a bunch Teach!!!

Well guys, just got back from a maiden run in 20mph headwind, 5-6" rolling short chop, no skid fin, and a center of gravity 1.5" behind the sponson heel due to a 4s pack being 1.5" from the nose, instead of 2- 2s packs pushed all the way forward, and all I have to say is this:

I have owned other sport 20 size hulls, and I would have just turned around and gone home after seeing the waves. I turn around and go home when I have a tunnel to run and the weather is like that. The boat ran AWESOME. It showed absolutely no signs of blowing off heading straight into the wind, it did NOT submarine, or even act like it wanted to, you could dead stop in the middle of the rollers, let the hull come to a dead stop, punch it, and it pops right back up on plane...in 5" chop! If this first run was an indication of how its going to be with the final center of gravity and a skid fin installed, this is going to be a dangerous hull!!! Teach was nice enough to get me a fin and bracket in the mail today to speed up the process, so once that arrives, and I purchase some 2s 5000 batteries so the boat can be set up like its suppose to be, videos will follow. I have not even been this excited with any of the tunnels I have tested. I'm really happy guys. Talk soon! Mike...OUT!
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Oh man, TOTALLY stoked Mike!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Awesome. I already started ordering the HW for mine.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I would like to know the price of a kit as well.

Never mind ... I will get the one from Danny when he sells it.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

lol
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

where is the vid?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Curious as to what size flex you used?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Jim, I used a 3/16" cable, but a .150 would be plenty for UL-1 power.
    Last edited by cybercrxt; 01-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Here are some videos with the UL-1 motor, UL-1 controller, 4s1p.

Please NOTE: The boat does NOT have a skid fin yet, just awaiting one to arrive, and as you can see, the flat bottom strut is causing some choppiness in the turns. One the skid fin arrives I can actually do some tuning. These tests were just to see how the boat did in rough water and straight lines. I ran it the day before in 5-6" chop and it handled that and the 20mph wind amazingly well. The back of the boat is staying off the water very very well. Again, these are just tests because I was to impatient to wait! The boat shows a LOT of promise. One of the videos show what a beating the boat will take as well. Without a skid fin, I could not get it to make a right turn in time, and BANG into the rocks. This was the impact testing. I try to do this to all the new boats to see how it handles impact...lol. All it did was chip the ply on one of the sponson tips, and bend the rudder. All is back to normal now. Mike

http://www.youtube.c...bed/xD2WvaZouF8

http://www.youtube.c...bed/3aPefNhbSKM

http://www.youtube.c...bed/svtKSskwxsk

list at front and last page
    Last edited by cybercrxt; 01-07-2012 at 07:08 PM.

What battery configuration will fit in this hull? Do you have to run split packs?
    Support US hobby suppliers

Insaniac, I am, right now, using a 4s, 5000mah Hyperion 35c single pack, but I (2)- 2s 5000 packs would be even better as you can push them a touch further forward. I have some lead in the nose of the center former right now since the 4s pack is about 1.25" back from the nose. Either way works fine.

Teach, I got home from out of town last night, and the skid fin had arrived! Got it installed this morning, and went out and ran the boat. It performs SO awesome! No more chopping in the turns, boat did not show any signs of blowing off as the fin really locked it in. I was able to remove the 2 degrees negative trim in the strut I had and put it around zero, boat handled wakes and wind and rough water really, really well. I plan now to get a cowling plug out to the vacuum former, and get the final drawings for the kit finished up. At that point, I will order about six kits and by the time I have those built, I should have the cowlings from my guy! I hope to get some really good videos this weekend as my local friend will have off and he can go out and record it running. It made such nice turns and you can point it any way you want, if you have to force a left turn, it does not try to lift the left sponson, it just holds! Really excited! videos real soon. Thanks, Mike

Sounds great Mike. Waiting on the new video!!

So is it the low hatch at the nose that prevents the 4S from going all the way forward?

That's great. Mr. Tyndall does some great work. His bracket may be even better then the fin.

Yeah Teach, You have made the whole process speed up! Thanks again.

Insaniac, ys, the hatch has to come down where it does so there is still tape room at the front. I am successfully running the 4s pack tho, so its not out of the question! Its really just a builders choice. Talk soon, Mike

Mike, Was that new turn fin you recieved from Tyndall?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    Mike, Was that new turn fin you recieved from Tyndall?
    Sorry to butt in but yes it was Mr. Tyndall's sport 20 fin.

Price?

Here is a video from today. I am a bit under the weather, but had to get out there and get something up! Another is to follow, just takes a LONG time to get it uploaded on youtube. Boat ran so good. Ran 2 more packs threw it, no blowing off, no odd behavior. Wind was about 5-10mph, water about 2-3".

Great lookin hull!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Mike,

Hope you feel better. Thanks for the new video. Boat looks great. What a difference a fin makes..... lol.

Pete
    Pete Welty Jr
    IMPBA# 20947S D12
    ML Boatworks PS295, Dragon M11, Thor 300, Lynx 285

Thanks guys, Here is the other video. Enjoy, Mike

I've seen enough Mike. Where is my kit??? LOL
    No more playing at the pond till you get some work done.
    Hope you feel better.
    Thank you sir!
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks teach.

BTW- Your web site looks great Mike!!!

Now Mike haven't you realized since you're not going to races that you don't know anything about boats??? LMAO!!! Great job my friend, give me a shout when you get a chance.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Haha, Famous words of M.H.!!!!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast