Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks New Sport 20 Hydroplane for FE or nitro, pics and build thread

Default ML Boatworks New Sport 20 Hydroplane for FE or nitro, pics and build thread

Well, some have been following the progression of the new sport 20 hydroplane I just finished designing, and started building last night. This will be another hull I hope to get into production within the next month. The kit will include all framing and sheeting, cowling, and instruction manual. I am also doing a documentary on the build and as I get time, a basic full build manual will be right here. I also have a waiting list for this boat in built form. I will transfer that list to this thread as well. I have most of the first hull built. Epoxied the interior this evening and added carbon fiber throughout. As soon as that drys, the top decks will be added and the hull itself will be finished. I will next start designing the cowling plug. Below are some pics from earlier today to give you a general idea of what the hull will look like. This hull is being designed mainly for P-limited use, but with the gracious amount of interior space, a full P setup should not be to much of an issue. This hull is 31" in length and around 16" wide. I also plan on a 33.5" version specifically for full P power, and for Q/Sport 40 a 39" version. If this hull performs like I feel like it will, the latter two designs will get moved forward very soon. Enjoy the pics. More info, and updates to follow. Mike, ML Boatworks

From Concept, to CADD, to laser cut kit:

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Below is the current list.

I have come up with a tenative cost for the Sport 20 kit, which includes all wood needed, cowling, and instructions for $165 plus shipping.

The build Sport 20 will be $300 plus shipping. The built hull includes total interior covered in West Systems epoxy, 8oz cloth covering inside of sponsons and down the engine well. It also includes one coat of exterior west systems epoxy, and all seems filled with West System 406 Colodial Silica. If carbon fiber is needed, please add $$25 to build cost. I will talk to all the people on the list about their exact needs before proceeding with their builds to far. Since this is the first time I have discussed prices, please let me know if you are no longer interested so I can adjust the build list. Thanks guys.

Oh, and the Sport 40 hull design has been started and I hope to finish that, and get in the first kit in the next couple weeks. The cowling plug for the Sport 20 is also a priority right now for me so I can get that process going.

Sport 20 build list
    1) HOTWATER
    2) ron1950
    3) Diegoboy
    4) Midnightsabatoge
    5) sailr
    6) MarylandFE
    7) Bigwaveohs
    8) Rightturnonly
    9) voepel
    10)ww29
    11)Battlefury
    12)Mike Buck

Sport 20 kit

1)Larry Conrad
    2) Teach
    3) Howard Welch (760) 552-2975
    4) Doug Smock
    5) Dick Loeb
    6) Rick Belinger
    7) tamalito

Sport 40 build list (soon to come)
    1)Jaike5

Sport 40 kit
    1) Bert Dygert
    Last edited by cybercrxt; 01-07-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike that looks awesome!!!

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Great work as usual mike
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Any update on this??

Looking forward to some video!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Oh.. yeah!!! Whoo-Hoo!

Very cool Mike! ...Can't wait to see the cowl for it!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Cowling build coming soon! hang tough! Mike

Beautiful Mike if I had money I would for sure be on your list but there is a big possibility of 2 layoffs in our department of 7 so not spe
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Looks really good

Is there a length limit in P Hydro?

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Is there a length limit in P Hydro?
    IMPBA P-Sport Hydro Min 27", Max 34"
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks Doug!

Protest!

Thanks guys, and Jim Clark, I feel your pain on that man. I was laid off 4 months ago, and building boats/ designing kits, and some part time project inspection is all I have for income, so I have to keep trying to make appealing boats if I want to keep a roof over my head.

Thanks Doug for putting out the info on the hull. This boat came in at a final 31 1/4" length, 16 1/8" wide. There was plenty of room for sponson foam, and foam in the front and rear side pockets of the hull. Top decks are now installed and as you see it, weights 2 lbs, 4 ounces. That is with the carbon installed, foam inside, aluminium skid fin backing plate, and all internal epoxy. Here are the latest and greatest pics. Mike

Looks like a Christmas eve maiden voyage to me!!

Very nice!!

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

That is good Sheet!!! Man....look at all the room in there!!!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great!!!
    Do or do not, there is no try!!!!!
    Aeromarine Titan 29 H&M Hawaii Kai III Proboat Stiletto ML Boatworks PS295 (No.8)

Thanks guys. Got the boat seam sealed and epoxied last night, and had to do some other painting this morning, so went ahead and hit it with clearcoat. I am going to make a quick and easy cowling for it just so I can get testing as the plug for the cowling will hold up progress. Hardware should arrive very soon and hopefully a skid fin as well. I am scared that will be the delay right now. I am ready to get this thing tested! As soon as the clear is dry, I will get some more pics. Mike

What fin are looking for? I have a few good ones I could let you try out.

Teach, Thanks for the offer. Dick Tyndall is making a couple, and I found out Mike Hughes was asked to make one for me. What do you happen to have? Here are some more pics. Got the boat clear coated today, and also got a little something in the mail for the ps295...finally the custom cowling has arrived! Enjoy, Mike

I have had Mike Hughes make me some fins and they are very nice and very strong...however I would get a Tyndal fin like you are doing Mike.

Huge progress on the build...looks real good!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Looks great man!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Mike... what do you use for your clear? I'm going to be setup shortly to do real paint jobs and need to start gethering materials to spray...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Mr. Tyndalls fin and mount. If you want just yell.

This boat even looks better in person and should run as well as it looks. I think this is Mikes best yet. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dick

Thanks everyone.

Darin,
    I use Dupont Nason Clear, at $100 a gallon kit, its got enough solids to give a good deep coat, but not so much that its adding unnecessary weight. My favorite clear of all time is Valspar AC-4400. I used it when I sprayed custom cars, but its way to thick for rc boats, at least in my opinion. The Nason is used in overall finishes as well, so its really no slouch! Once you switch to base clear, you will never go back to spray cans. Another item I would look for, is House of Kolor SG-100 intercoat clear. What it does for you, is once you have your base coat of color down, spray a coat of SG-100 down over that. This allows you to walk away for months if you need to, then when you come back, scuff the surface, tape up your next color graphics coat, or just spray your final clearcoat. It was designed so multiple color coats can be taped over without fear of pulling up your artwork. I NEVER do scales without it. It makes it almost impossible to pull up coats below. Best part, you just add some HOK reducer to it to thin, and spray, no hardners needed. Drys in about 30 minutes too! Its a must have.

Teach, That is a great offer. My problem is, I will be heading out of town the 1st threw like the 4th. Is it a new fin and bracket? PM me some info. If you mail it out say monday or tuesday, it will get here before I leave, so I can use it as soon as I get back. Just don't want it sitting in the mail box all week! Once the two I am getting from Dick arrive, I could just mail you a new one back? I got all the hardware and electrics installed yesterday. The boat just needs a skid fin and cowling to run! I will post pics later!

Dick,

Wow, I didn't realize you liked it that much! I am glad to hear you really feel its gonna work. That means a lot! Talk soon, Merry Christmas.

Also, I was contacted by TP Power motors last week. They would like me to try out their products to see about being a dealer. I have to say, after doing some reading, I am very impressed with what I see from them, and others that tested or looked over the motors in person. I am loosing my cool with the Neu motors due to constant failure with mild setups. Something has to give. If I pursue the TP Power motors, and like them, I will eventually get them on my website. Prices are GREAT as well.

Mike

Hey Mike,
    Please take me off of your build list, I'm having second thoughts.
    Thank you sir,
    D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I think I'd rather have the kit just as soon as they are ready!!! Not sure I can wait.

Thank you sir,
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Doug, your crazy!

Got all the hardware fitted, motor/ controller mounted, and a cowling designed. I decided on a two piece hatch so the front will allow the racer access to all electronics, and the propshaft collet without having to remove the rear hatch after each race. As you can see, there is a load of room. Just awaiting a Tyndall turn fin so I can begin testing. Mike

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast