Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: maritimo twin cat

Default props from cmdi

I'm a happy man, i just received my prop order from cmdi(www.cmdracing.com). i would like to thank Donna and Andy for these pieces of art. the props are octura x 442 sharpened and balanced , cupped and detongued, left and right rotation, they should make this cat rock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

all i can say is WOW. one day i hope to have a boat this nice. good info and pics. cant wait for video

Talking update 3

OK I've finely got all the components together pic 1,2. the boats transom is going to be modified a little to suit the rudder set up , I'm going to make the pod out of carbon plate then glass the hole piece as 1 back onto the hull. once i have done this i will be adding the motor mounts and the rest of the components. post more pics when complete. o yer i bought this little radar gun to clock my sv27 and the cat. Has anyone used this type of gun.
    Last edited by bonewar; 07-26-2008 at 02:51 AM.

have you thought about putting the packs in the sponsons.
    i know from experience that that boat will have a hi C of G especially with a twin setup.. might want to chew on that idea?
    also one other thing , i have found. even with a twin setup that steering is hard. there is either NO steering or ALOT. very little in bwteen.
    one way to correct this is to mount you rudder close to the LEFT prop. Yes it sounds weird but it does work. it will look odd but it will handle and run much better.
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eyekandyboats View Post
    have you thought about putting the packs in the sponsons.
    i know from experience that that boat will have a hi C of G especially with a twin setup.. might want to chew on that idea?
    also one other thing , i have found. even with a twin setup that steering is hard. there is either NO steering or ALOT. very little in bwteen.
    one way to correct this is to mount you rudder close to the LEFT prop. Yes it sounds weird but it does work. it will look odd but it will handle and run much better.
    Having built and now running one of these pretty much exact I can state "these are not Jolly Cats" I dont get any of the porpuising at all and the way his and mine are setup cog is not an issue. It turns as flat as can be even at very high speeds. Turning is smooth and very reactive at low or high speeds despite twin props. In my opinion and seeing what I have the H&M hulls are better than Toysport in those regards. I am amazingly happy with mine however, the difference in driving a cat and mono is much greater than I had realized. On top end speeds I do feel the Toysport Jolly cat may have the advantage but I am only a few runs into mine and still getting prop size figured out. So far I am thinking a set of x447's may even be not enough running 8xl feigao's and hydra 120's. My highest temp after 5 minutes of run is 115 on esc's and packs are 92 degrees.. Havent gps'd yet but compared to a 46mph sv I would say im still in mid 50's.

what do you mean
    "no jolly cat"??. is this a new term i have never heard of before?
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Last edited by Mich. Maniac; 07-25-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyekandyboats View Post
    what do you mean
    "no jolly cat"??. is this a new term i have never heard of before?
    The Jolly Cat remark was simply that I dont think these will get the same speeds that a jolly would. RC prince I believe said with 8xl's and hydra's he was running 62mph with 438 props I think and I am up to x447's and only see mid 50's but again, I have yet to gps. As far as the C.O.G. I dont understand why your sooo worried as from port to starbord these hulls dont seem to lean into a turn at all like the blackjack hulls and as far as bow to transom I think he has it right cause that is where mine is and it rides perfectly aired out with plenty of adjustment if needed and they are similar in setup in that regard. How many cats have you built? I know the M1 you have fly's but wondering if you have built a twin hull of this size?

Maybe your prop size is why your only seeing 50mph. Too much prop?

I would like to know how your temps are cool on x447' with those motors, my expereince with 8XLs is they dont like that much prop.

I tried a 445 on a 8xl in a much smaller lighter hydro and the boat was slower than on a x440. and temps were high.

Fluid told me this awhile back," an 8xl on an x440 pulls somwhere in the neighborhood of 80+ amps"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    Maybe your prop size is why your only seeing 50mph. Too much prop?

I would like to know how your temps are cool on x447' with those motors, my expereince with 8XLs is they dont like that much prop.

I tried a 445 on a 8xl in a much smaller lighter hydro and the boat was slower than on a x440. and temps were high.

Fluid told me this awhile back," an 8xl on an x440 pulls somwhere in the neighborhood of 80+ amps"
    Dont know, build one and let me know
    my sv runs 8xl with 45mm prop and works great. Peak amp draw is 102

Oh alright Jolly, that toysport hull....... okay thanks for kinda clarifying that.
    i have built 7, if you read my above posts i said that allready.
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mich. Maniac View Post
    Dont know, build one and let me know
    my sv runs 8xl with 45mm prop and works great. Peak amp draw is 102
    I have a better idea, you a built it you try it........

Twins in a 34" cat.... not worth it for me to build hull would have to be 45"+ for me to build it with twins.

you seem kinda jumpy when someone offers advice, if you dont like peoples advice especially Taylors ( I believe he has built more boats than you own) dont post a build thread.
    Last edited by Jeepers; 07-28-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Talking update 4

OK the next step was to make a pod out of carbon fiber plate to match the new rudder system (pic 1) i then cut 4, 35mm pieces of aluminum thin walled pipe to hold the rudder (pic 2,3) the inside of the pod will be glass to make it bullet prof , then it is time to cut the back of the hull and glass the pod in place. water cooling for the cat , i bought 2 large water pick ups from MHz (pic 4,5), i cut the nipple off the pick ups then drilled a 4mm hole and added a 30mm piece of thin walled aluminum pipe, makes the intake of the pick up about 1.5mm bigger. (silicone tubing id is 4mm,metal clamps to hold the tubing) then the hole cat will have the silicone tubbing for better water flow. next week should be very interesting , i will have the pod glass on the boat , then the rest of the gear will go in . post more soon
    Last edited by bonewar; 08-22-2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: more pics

very nice build
    SUPERVEE 27 37'' TWIN CAT

Talking carbon pod

The pod. well Ive glass the back plate onto the pod , i think 1 more layer of glass should do the job, it will be bullet prof when I'm finished. the hard part ! cutting this beautiful hulls back off, but i think it will come out real nice, I'm going to try and keep the carbon looking real clean. so i have the option to leave it as is,or paint it white like the rest of the hull. Will have this done soon, finally some time off work,so down the shed i go. :rocking:

Talking carbon pod

Well I've done it ! this would have to be the hardest thing Ive had to do. cutting into this beautiful hull what was i thinking! anyway i think everything will work out real nice. the pod will be layered with 3 coats of glass and(inside),carbon fiber cloth so it will be stronger then the original. it will be finished in a couple of days. then the fun part adding the goodies. post more pics Friday. bonewar

Talking carbon pod

It's done, glass on the back of the hull, stronger then the original. I'm very happy how this has turn out. the rudder gear will look awesome on this pod. I think I'm going to leave it as is, To pretty to paint over. Motor mounts is the next little mission,drives and shafts.

I LOVE that rudder. And the "hydraulic" pushrods.

I cant believe you cut that hull like that! You got some big ones sir. Looks great and should be strong.

Also, you could have easily made a mold for the rudder mount, and that way the corners would have bee perfectly smooth...

Talking sneak peek

SNEAK PEEK!
    Last edited by bonewar; 09-06-2008 at 07:59 AM. Reason: more pics

Now one of the inside!

Talking cat bling

Emcotec power safety switches good for lipos 2 cell up to 8 cell, the hole unit weighs 45g, has a magnetic actuator switch, the little red cap on the strings. water prof plug housing. Goes between esc and lipos. cool stuff.

looking good!

Talking update

Time to clean up this hull , I've powered up the system and everything is working real nice, shorten all the wires on the esc's , safety switches, data logger ,lipo's ,glued the carbon fiber water jackets to the motors, silicone in the water pick ups, cut and fitted the water lines , i just have to glass in the motor mounts.and make a servo stand. now to the out side, sanding flat the join seam around the cat and all imperfections in the gel coat , added exhaust pipes , glued the scoops in place , sanded and ready for paint.decals are being made should have them in a week.hull will be painted this weekend . getting close now!

Looks good!

The mototr mounts are a little thin though, and the struts are on the high side. They should be even with the bottom of the hull.

Talking

J.M mate the motor mounts come with the hull,(H&M originals) once they are glass in they will be solid, i thought about making carbon fiber motor mounts,but i decided that the original mounts would be strong enough . The struts are level with the bottom of the hull , the pic you are referring to doesn't show this , here is a pic to show you.

Bonewar, Watch for vids of mine to be posted this coming Sunday eve. I cant wait to see yours. I am guessing low 60's for speed. I now wish I had gone with some higher KV motors. The 8XL's are running 442's and everything is cool. I havent run it with "Watts Up" meter yet but full run temps tell me all is good. I may change out motors this winter with ammo 2300KV's. Or I wish there were some counter props that were between 442 and 445... a set of 643's would be perfect for my motors! CMDI doesnt seem to answer emails very quickly or perhaps they cant make them.

Talking

MICH can't wait to see your cat screaming across the water, I have 4 props on order with CMDI , I've emailed them 3 times in the last week and have received no reply's, usually Donna is very good with returning emails (bit worried). have you tryed mhz USA for the counter props you are chasing, I'll be starting with the octura 442, then I'm going to try some 3 bladed props. My speed goals for this hull are around 65-75 mph. I've seen the hull go this fast and it looks stable on the water (glass condition). so we will see. the neu's(2000kv) I'm running in the boat + 5 cell lipos , get me around 37000 rpm each, so i think that should be enough to get me there. keep me informed about your props Mich, i hope you can get the ones your chasing.

Yeah, Im running 2083KV and I dont have the nuts to go with 5S on these hydra's. I just wish I had gone higher in KV. I have amp room and the ammo's seem to be a little better choice for me with no prop options available. Anyways Ill send a PM when vids up. Thanks for sharing!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast