Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seaking 180 ESC Waterproofing

Well so far I've managed to destroy about $1000 worth of ESCs - Seaking 120, CC Hydra XL 240, even a Monster Mambo I semi-potted in polyester resin.....

The question remains: Why don't the manufacturers make them WATER PROOF?
    Not "water RESISTANT", not "SPRAY proof" etc. but actually IMPERVIOUS to water.

These devices are sold to consumers in the full knowledge they are to be installed in a marine environment.
    I think it's fair to say a relative humidity "slightly above 85%" is to be "expected".

I'm sure a little bit of clever engineering could see an ESC produced complete with internal water cooling plumbing
    near the hot bits (think solderable copper tubing guys - excellent heat transferance), and everything encapsulated in
    a suitable non-conductive WATER PROOF polymer.

I have used two-pack epoxy resins in the past to "pot" PCBs with great success.

Should we really have to "hit-and-miss" with various cans of liquid goop?
    Who-ever comes up with one gets my next $500.

there must be a reason not to use corrosion-X? it the boat show I watched a TV working fully submerged in water. I am just fearful of dunking a brand new one in corrosion-X and then having it fry because of it.

Im sending my seaking 180 today in hope of replacement?? I dont think it was water related but after reading these post I guess it could be possible?? I just hope they go good for it!! Its still under the factory warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Accessable View Post
    Well so far I've managed to destroy about $1000 worth of ESCs - Seaking 120, CC Hydra XL 240, even a Monster Mambo I semi-potted in polyester resin.....
    Have you smoked all these esc's on the same setup/boat? IF that is the case then what are you running? ie Boat model, motor size make and kv, Prop size, number of lipo cells. It may not be water that is causing it. I have a couple Hobby Wing 180s and HW 120 and have not had a single problem and they are box stock in terms of waterproofing. LOL knockin on wood..

I mean ive been doing this for almost 2 years and have only smoked one esc and that was a stock Proboat 35amp I hooked up to 6s.
    "If you can't win - Wreck someone who can!"

I am sending mine in today as well

Boat is a Thunder Tiger Bandit 3.5 F1 tunnel.
    Motor is a CC 1518 1Y on a highly modified .67 K&B outboard leg.
    Running a single 5000 6S 50C LiPo pack and various Octura props from ranging from X440 to X450.
    I use Castle Link data logging - nothing out of the ordinary apart from RPM when it's airborne.
    These are old pics - I had to fabricate a new water proof radio box out of PVC since.

IMG_0395.jpg IMG_0411.jpg

Dunk it in corrosion x, the stuff works great. I do all my connections, motor, esc, servo. Anything electronic, and I've yet to blow anything. When I first maidened my fantasm, After 1 minute of running. I had atleast 2-3 cups of water inside the boat. And nothing fried.

I just liquid taped my 180, waited overnight to powers up and everything is glitching. Any ideas?

was it working before? did it get wet? i filled mine with corrosion block and then coated it with liquid tape and no issues other than i can say you should recoat after every dunk in the pond as one of mine was okay the first time it got wet but it fried on the second time

Yes was working great right before I did this. Can't explain it. Hopefully when I get home later it will work better. Maybe the tape was still wet inside?

The tape should have little to no conductive properties but it is possible that the carrier does so yes if it is still wet it might cause a problem

All good! Got home today and I guess after 24 hours it finally cured on its own and now I am back up and running! Thanks a lot guys.

What about using some Loctite Marine Epoxy for waterproofing? Seems to work nicely...

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    What about using some Loctite Marine Epoxy for waterproofing? Seems to work nicely...
    Should work fine. It's the epdm equivalent for boats.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12