Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the fastest mini these days? Cast your vote!

Default What is the fastest mini these days? Cast your vote!

I'm taking a poll on the fastest mini out there under 17" Consider acceleration and top speed.

Please cast your vote. Name the make and model of the boat you think is the fastest around.
    Last edited by jlanders001; 12-13-2011 at 10:50 PM.

here are a couple of mine. the gecko and rigger. i actually rebuilt the gecko to slow it down and make it more user friendly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd_gN...g&feature=plcp mhz gecko
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REhn...g&feature=plcp scratch built rigger (jae micro prototype)
    Attached Images Attached Images

i love my minicat velocity 450 outrunner 2500kv on 4s x435 cut down to 32mm getting sv27(stock speed and very stable, my renegade doesnt run far behind it with 400 outrunner 3200kv 3s on a 431 or 531 oct but not as fast due to not being half as stable(spends alot ov time upside down)

The new GII Micro Hydro runs 42-45mph out of the box!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

if were looking at top end speed, all round stability & unbelievable cornering them i believe theirs nothing comes close to a JAE Mini Sprint. Martin.

Is this Eco mini fast enough for you ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CGhMsoEDdlg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

That JAE is looking very good. I may go with that. Cornering is really something! I don't see how it stays stuck to the water during fast turns like that!

Does Mini Cat still make the Micro Bat? According to the reviews back in 2008 or so the Micro Bat was a good bit faster than the Micro Hydro ever was. You could drop in a 4S battery with the upgraded motor and ESC! That’s just plain sick. I was thinking about that boat when I first posted this thread.

Any other suggestions?

JAE minisprint is a great hull but its over 18" if built to the stock kit, I didn't realise this as its quoted as 17" on the Zipkits site and I had to cut about 1/2 an inch off the tips of my sponsons to get mine into the 450mm (17.75") max mini classes here.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post

Proper what have you done to that thing it hauls!! what are you running in it?

I don't believe that's Tony's unless he moved from CA to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    I don't believe that's Tony's unless he moved from CA to Europe.
    Yah, Das iz mine fasten boot. Iss berry quicken in straitz bot ze turnz iz vary toof ..

[ Billy, I just pilfered the Vid from RRR; not my boat]
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

That's neither Mini nor ECO, FYI this is Mini ECO Expert (the faster of the 2 Mini ECO classes) at the same event.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck E Cheese View Post
    here are a couple of mine. the gecko and rigger. i actually rebuilt the gecko to slow it down and make it more user friendly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd_gN...g&feature=plcp mhz gecko
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REhn...g&feature=plcp scratch built rigger (jae micro prototype)

So Chuck, what ESC and motor are you running in that rigger? I'm thinking I'll probably go with the Mini Sprirt.

1. What ESC and motor is considered to be the fastest on 3S that will still fit in one of these?

2. Do people add esc and motor water cooling to mini riggers?

Thanks,

JTL
    Been in RC for years. But have not tried all the types of boats.... YET!

This is my Mini Sprint with $12 Mystery 3800kv outrunner motor on 3s with 60 amp cheapo esc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOUlQEGC8lg

mine was using a mamba 25 and df400 from the renegade rigger..... prop work and weight is key on
    these little riggers....

Only 7 days to go to get 15% off purchase of $100 or more at Mini Cat Racing USA! PM me for details. We have the Mini ECO, Starship, Micro Hydro, and Velocity Cat in stock!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Wow is that cool!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Only 7 days to go to get 15% off purchase of $100 or more at Mini Cat Racing USA! PM me for details. We have the Mini ECO, Starship, Micro Hydro, and Velocity Cat in stock!
    What happened to the Micro-Bat?

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    This is my Mini Sprint with $12 Mystery 3800kv outrunner motor on 3s with 60 amp cheapo esc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOUlQEGC8lg
    What brand was the ESC that you used?

The esc was an RC Max 60amp watercooled which was £13 or around $20, i got it from giantcod.co.uk. I believe these esc are the same as the many cheapo different badge ones that are on Ebay under various names.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    The esc was an RC Max 60amp watercooled which was £13 or around $20, i got it from giantcod.co.uk. I believe these esc are the same as the many cheapo different badge ones that are on Ebay under various names.
    Does anyone in the uk stock the mini sprint, I want one now seeing this!!

You have to get them from Zippkits in the US, i believe they are doing them for $89 at the moment down from $109. When i got mine shipping was around $36 to the UK + vat & import duty. In total i think it cost me around £100 for the kit by the time i paid everything.

If your going to push the speeds on the kit your going to have to do some mods, the rudder bracket is part of the ply side & you need to alter this to a full alloy bracket otherwise you tear the rudder off in turns ( ask me how i found this out ). The design construction was not done to suit these loads & speeds. Also you need to upgrade the carbon boom tubes which are 3/16" o/d hollow to 6mm solid carbon (again ask me how i know). Another must is bolt the turn fin right through the sponson otherwise youll tear the screws out of the sponson in the G force in turns.

A moderator should take Martins notes / recommendations and make a 'sticky' for the JAE mini sprint, as a lot of people on here want to go crAzY fast. else, they will get lost.
    FYI, a 3/16 of an inch = 4.7625 mm on the carbon booms.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

BBY Racing designs by far the fastest, most stable and reliable mini boats in the world hands down.
    Randy has all the stats, ill get him to post when he wakes.

The original boom tubes are 3/16 o/d tubes which will break if you push speeds, in the UK imperial size tubes or solid rod are not available only metric. Thats way i went to 6mm o/d solid carbon rod which then makes repacment easy without having to order from the US. Even on the JAE 21 fe during the build i change to metric size carbon boom tubes ie i fit 8mm & not 5/16".

BBY does make some excellent boats but you wont get a boat complete (less motor & electrics )with all hardware for around $100, yes you have to build the kit which is dead simple & great fun to build.

The 6mm = .236" solid boom tubes were chosen for their larger diameter + solid rod for the increase in strength.

BILL OXIDEAN,
    I have seen the BBY Lift-master rigger series only on this site. Awesome looking / running boat.
    Randy had a pic of a small lift master in another build (the pink lift-master build)
    Can you tell us more about this smaller of the lift-masters? Will it become available to the public, or at lease OSE members
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast