Thread: Bought a used EKOS off RCGroup

Default Bought a used EKOS off RCGroup

Hi bought the boat off a guy who is a member here also... He said the boat has been in the water only once and he wanted to part with it.
    He had alot of extra's that came with it, here is the list...
    New, never installed

2 9xLs
    2 Water Jackets
    2 Pair of wire Drives
    2 Prop nuts bullet type
    2 Couplers
    2 Drive Dogs
    8 extra right and left turn venom props
    1 extra new canopy
    2 Octura x-637,s (professionaly polished and balanced by, (PROPS-4-U) Mark Sholund) www.props4u.com
    Comes with orginal everthing in it.
    2 60 amp venom water cooled esc,s
    2 venom water cooled venom motors
    I will be getting the boat in acouple of days... I am going to gut the insides to reinforce the hull... I was thinking of getting Carbon Fiber tape, it is 6 inch wide ... I feel it would be easier to over lap it going up the inside of the boat... Or should I just Fiber glass the inside.. I have done a couple of my boats with FG but has not used CF... I have read up on CF and see I have to take precautions while cutting the CF... Any help will be appreciated.. I am also going to add one of my spektrum recievers for controling the kos...
    Joe H............

Try not using so many dots after each sentence. Use only 1 period. Your post is hard to read.

Sorry Larry, it is a habit. But I will try not to do it anymore. I have read many of your post on the kos.

Thanks for all the advice....

Well I gutted the inside of the hull and will be adding fiberglass to strengthed the thin hull.. Replacing the aluminum stuffing tubes with brass. Replacing the stock motor mounts with a pair from OSE. The drive shafts are being replaced with piano wire drives and XL9 motor that I got with the boat. I thinking of upgrading the esc to 90amp's I already have one that is new. Going to control it all with a spektrum reciever.. I also am replacing the stock rudder hardware with a center mount rudder that I also bought from OSE.. Thats it for now I will add some pictures of my build this week..

Got some parts in today from OSE, I bought a center mount rudder and two of the dual water pickups that go in the bottom of the boat. I had to drill new holes for the replacement rudder, also took out the aluminum backing plate that was in and replaced it with a piece of brass flat stock that I had. I filled the two water inlet holes and the stock rudder holes with plastic welder... Did not have to break out the fiberglass epoxy to fill the wholes. I dropped the new rudder mount acouple of mm lower that the original holes because the rudder I decided on was about 5mm shorter than the stock one. Now the rudder is sitting just about where the stock rudder was. Just waiting on the plastic weld to dry. Will be cutting the holes for the water pickups and then lay some fiberglass down on the bottom of the boat. Also ordered new motor mounts from OSE.
    Joe

Started fiberglassing the inside hull, it is a tight fight to get the fg in the front of the hull, but managed to get bottom and sides. Did about ten inches last nite, looks good will do some more on Monday.
    Merry Christmas to all.
    Joe

2011-12-29_18-14-40_393_edited-1.jpg2011-12-29_18-14-55_180_edited-1.jpg2011-12-29_19-00-57_557_edited-1.jpg2011-12-29_19-01-08_850_edited-1.jpgHere are some pictures of my gutted EKOS. I have the fiberglass work done on the inside and there is the new rudder that I bought from Steve. Will be adding the water inlets under the boat this week.
    Joe

Water pickups are in.

Well to day I have been painting the bottom of the kos and did like Bill Oxidean did to his struts I took out -the plactic spacer in between the bears and made up two out of 7/16 copper tubing, but I added to slots in each tubing for the gease can keep those shafts lubed up. All the only motor mounts that really fit into the kos is the stock one's. I bought two different motor mounts from Steve and both were to big. A good lesson to learn I order two more motor mounts from HK but they are on back order picked up a set from another vender for $21 for the pair should have them this week. Also I am still up in the air on what motors I buy; Its either the 2680 leopard or the tacon. Or I might go for the arc 28-47-1.5. Going to put some clear on the bottem of the boat tomorrow. I am a rattle can man. I use only dupi color spay paint.
    Last edited by Joe007; 01-10-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: miss print

Get the 28mm 2800kv arcs (lightflightrc.com) - I assume you meant 28-47-1.5's not "17". I have my ekos on 4s with 40mm carbon filled props with those motors and it smokes Feigao 9xl's. I've gone through 3 sets of the 9xl's. They fail on 4s after 5-10 runs. The Arc motors run on that high of RPM a full battery without any significant heat, you could squeeze them in your palm. Low 60mph all day. I'm toying around with trying X442's on it.

Sounds good to me skullcraken, going to order them this week. What are you using for cooling jackets? Yes you are right it is the 28-47-1.5. I went back and edited the post.

I wouldn't use the black 28mm cooling jackets from the OSE sight. I couldn't get them on unless the O rings werent on. You could probably use the leopard 28x 40mm jackets. If you have the "around the can" mounts vs bolt on mounts you may need the 28mm x 30mm leopard jackets. Mine are blue, jackets but I can't remember the manufacturer.

Default Arc motors

BTW if you do use those on 4s, I'd up the escs to 120amp or higher. I have swordfish 120 amps from this site.

Here's a vid of my EKOS with the ARC 2800kv's. I didn't have any retrieval equipment at the lake, so I was a little shy with full throttle. FAST for 28mm direct drop motors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2-HV...jq968AOE1WqKVL

Very nice SC it looks like a winner to me. I think I am going to order the arc's this week. Also can you tell me what props you are running and how the motor and battery temps are.
    Joe

Ordered the arc's today thanks SC. Also just finished putting in the stock motor mounts in m kos, it was a son of a gun to find them cheaper than from venom. I know HK has them for only 6bucks put them are backordered. I ordered a set anyway from them.

Well as you know I put the stock mounts into my kos, and took them out today. Kintec has new mount out for boats with limited space. What I like about it the motor clamps into it like the new ekos. Got my arc's in the other day. I put on the water jackets minus the o rings and silicone them for they won't leak.

Well I changed out the stock motor mounts again and put in two mini rigger mounts from Kintec. I reveresed the mounts so that I can change out a motor in a minute now without any hassle. The Arc's are in and stuffing tubes with the piano wire drives are also in. I got my seaking 120 esc's and they are in now. Boat is just about finished. Will add some pictures this week. Now all I have to wait is for the fair weather to come to Ct. The twin water pick up's look good on the boat.
    Joe