Thread: SuperVee, lost shaft and prop

Default SuperVee, lost shaft and prop

So I ran my boat one last time before the snow flys and I lost the whole shaft and my 42x55 prop. I have a stock MG motor and esc,running two 2s question is was that to much motor for the stock flex cable? It was greased well and ran about 6 mins, then i just heard the motor spining in the middle of the lake. Here is my video before breakage>>>http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnysm.../0/Tam5Z1wXl1w
    Last edited by Smoothops; 12-07-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Not sure what you mean? Did it come out of the coupler complete? Or were you left with the .150 flex and just the stubb shaft and prop depart? Sort of confusing?

John
    Change is the one Constant

Dont waste your time with stock SV 27 shafts their not very good quality flexes, get an upgraded one from OSE. Their much better quality flexes & stronger. I believe their Octura.

Happened to a buddy on our last day of the season but running his wildthing with an upgraded flex shaft and brand new prop. Doesn't matter how good the shaft is if you fail to tigheten the collet. . .
    A dream not pursued is not worth holding.
    Aquacraft SV27 x 4, Proboat Mini-V, Redtail Kneeler Hydro, JAE21, ML GP335

Obviously its down to you to make sure things are tightened correctly & thats its in good order, but if your buying a replacment shaft go for the OSE ones their much better quality than the Aquacraft ones & install a shaft saver to stop the shaft coming out should the couping not be tightened correctly.

OK, first time of hearing about shaft saver, what is it and do you have any pics of it installed?

Just a wheel collar between the collet and stuffing tube, IMO just something else to be a pita and another potential source of imbalance.
    Use a good collet and make sure it's tightened properly.
    Use a well balanced prop, vibration can loosen anything. Most people use blue loctite on nuts, bolts and set screws.
    I prefer HUghey flex shafts but have used Octura many times in the past with no problems.
    Tried a Hyperformance cable once, the weld was so bad it wouldn't fit into a strut bushing!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

A shaft saver dosnt have to be a metal collar type, Ive used a simple piece of silicon water tube before thats a tight fit on the flex. If the coupling should come loose it stops the lot coming out the back. Problem with couplings dosnt matter how tight you do them its crushing the flex down each time you tighten & you get to a point where its not gripping as tight as it should.

Ok I think I can picture what you talking about, although I've never lost a flex shaft I understand the concept.
    I make my own shafts from octura and use green loc tight or bearing retainer and never had one break loose.

A number of ways to loose shafts & props ie shaft coming out of coupling & loosing the lot, flex breaking & loosing prop as well or stub joint coming unbonded & loosing prop again. I to make all my shafts using Octura flex or .047" wire & use Loctite 603 & have never had one come unbonded.