Thread: Flex Cable Crucible

Default Flex Cable Crucible

Here’s how I tin the ends of my flex cables: Purchased an iron pipe cap plug, ground the threads off, clamped the square end in a vise, added chunks of 95% Tin/5% Antimony Plumber’s Solder, heated with a Propane Torch, submerged the rosin coated cable ends into the molten solder. Works like a Champ!!!

See DaPic . . . .

Attached Images Attached Images

Great idea! I haven't thought of a solder pot in years! I've been using my mig welder for a while on cables now, takes about 2 seconds and works great as well.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Must be nice! I don’t even have a place to store a welder, even if I could afford one.

This is the neatest idea to come "out of the blue" that I've seen! I've struggled with tinning drive cable ends for years and never thought of this great "old school" solution.

Its a neat idea.

have you tried just a soldering iron? I use a weller 80 on upto and including .187 cable with no issues what so ever. The weller 80 is marketed to the stained glass market and holds a ton of heat.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Its a neat idea.

have you tried just a soldering iron? I use a weller 80 on upto and including .187 cable with no issues what so ever. The weller 80 is marketed to the stained glass market and holds a ton of heat.
    I also use the Weller 80. It's great!
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

[QUOTE=Steven Vaccaro;387219]Its a neat idea.

have you tried just a soldering iron? I use a weller 80 on upto and including .187 cable with no issues what so ever. The weller 80 is marketed to the stained glass market and holds a ton of heat.[/QUOTE
    Do you find the Weller 80 good for bullet plugs as well, i was looking at getting one myself.

[QUOTE=martin;387526]
    Its a neat idea.

have you tried just a soldering iron? I use a weller 80 on upto and including .187 cable with no issues what so ever. The weller 80 is marketed to the stained glass market and holds a ton of heat.[/QUOTE
    Do you find the Weller 80 good for bullet plugs as well, i was looking at getting one myself.
    I use the weller 80 watt with 5.5 and 6mm bullets all the time including silver solder. It does the job every time.
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

I got one from harbor freight 180 watt and does them with no problem. And for only 12 dollars, cant go wrong

[QUOTE=martin;387526]
    Its a neat idea.

Yes they work quite well on the plugs also. the iron is large so it takes some getting used to.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

H&M Intruder S twin Leopard 36/74/3270 @ 3S-HIFEI 200A
    MHZ mystic 114-TP4050 5D-HIFEI 240A hv ESC- @ 2 x 5S
    BANDIT S"love boat" LEHNER POWERED.. RCFASTBOATS.GR MINI COOPER CAT

So is silver solder best for tinning flex cables? Flux needed?

Hi Guy's ,

That Soldering Unit Pot has an Austtralian Power Plug on it , I thought we were the only ones using it. ???

Brad
    Oz
    Roy Cooper's www.fastonwater.co.uk - Where Brittish Raceboat History Comes To Life !!!

Do the Aussies use 250V or 110V power mains?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Hi Salir ,

We use 240V .....

Brad
    Oz
    Roy Cooper's www.fastonwater.co.uk - Where Brittish Raceboat History Comes To Life !!!