Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aquacraft Mini Rio stock impressions

I am new to RC boats. I just got my Mini Rio a few days ago. When I ran it today it wouldn't even get up on plane. It was just plowing along slowly. I have seen a few supposedly "stock" Mini Rio videos on youtube and they are way faster than mine. Could mine be defective from the factory, or is there something I can tune to make it run faster. It sounds like it's cavitating. Any Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jfabcustom View Post
    I am new to RC boats. I just got my Mini Rio a few days ago. When I ran it today it wouldn't even get up on plane. It was just plowing along slowly. I have seen a few supposedly "stock" Mini Rio videos on youtube and they are way faster than mine. Could mine be defective from the factory, or is there something I can tune to make it run faster. It sounds like it's cavitating. Any Ideas?
    I ran stock a few times and it worked ok from the get go. People have been saying it needs to be run a few times before the battery has full power. Try a octura 431 prop(red plastic) they are cheap and work well. check the drive line for binding but it will probably work better after a few runs.
    MikeV

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Diego saw you are using the 28-35-2700.. I am looking at the 28-35-3900. Do you know what ESC I should use? Or, where did you get your 28-35-2700 because Tower says they're out of stock til Sept
    Sorry...
    I picked up mine from the LHS.
    That motor pulls a lot of amps. an ESC suitable for that motor may be a bit big for the hull.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm using a 28-35-3900 w/ a Thunderbird 54 works great. but for some reason i can't keep the boat from leaning to one side. going to put weight on the other side and see if that helps. any suggestions are welcome!
    thanks wil

It leans opposite the prop rotation right? That is torque roll. try to use a smaller prop.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

jfabcustom - check your prop to see if the leading edges are smooth. My father-in-law ran his into the sand a couple of times and the prop still looked good but the leading edge wasn't perfectly smooth and it wouldn't get up on plane.

RCman - are you using a 2-stick radio or a Pistix? If not, how are you getting the Thunderbird to arm? I'm using the same motor & speed control.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    The tube will have to be cut, but bending it is not necessary for this application.
    I use this to cut my tubes, but any ol' hack saw should be fine.
    If no bending was necessary, how did you get the motor to line up? The stock tube has a bend, correct? If there is no bend and the motor lines up did your drive angle change? Or does all the bend take place outside of the stuffing tube? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Hint, hint. No need to remove the stock stuffing tube. The mini cat hydro .098 flex with 3mm prop shaft fits great. its almost the perfect length also. The only change is the drive dog. It will drag unless the front(leading) edge is cut/sanded to a 45degreee angle.
    If I go with this method will the flex end up wearing throught the stuffing tube?

Hey Diegoboy did I piss you off somehow. Sorry if I did. Thanks again for your all help.

brushless videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diegoboy what KV was your Ammo motor ??

Thanks
    Prince 25 8XL,Delta force 29 8XL, SV27,Rio 51,Mini Rio,Stock Miss Geico m445,ERBE,Baja 5B SS, Hyper ST, Castle Emaxx.

Video?

Video Link
    it picks up weeds a lot in the vid, I was running on the Huron River

Mods:
    - tore out the stuffing tube,
    - upgraded to an OSE .095 flex drive.
    - glass reienforced the inside.
    - 3600KV motor from eBay kinda heavy
    - a 35 / 45 A ESC, water cooled, also from eBay
    -drive hardware: the micro strut and rudder from OSE
    - Octura y534 Plastic prop
    - 2S 1000 mAh, 30C Turnagy Lipo

It runs wonderfully, about 30 mph

I do have some prop heave to the side, but only out of the hole.

3S is next. Should be pretty fast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234