Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aquacraft Mini Rio stock impressions

Hint, hint. No need to remove the stock stuffing tube. The mini cat hydro .098 flex with 3mm prop shaft fits great. its almost the perfect length also. The only change is the drive dog. It will drag unless the front(leading) edge is cut/sanded to a 45degreee angle.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I remembered that issue from this post...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    The quickest choice is the Mini Cat Hydro Cable and shaft. The only issue with that is the drive dog. Its not tappered like the stock drive dog, so the mini Cat setup will be an area of large drag if thats not addressed.
    It was either turn the minicat hydro dog on a lathe (which I don't have) or pull the tube.
    I pulled the tube!
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I also added the silicone water jacket. the inlet and outlet were opposite each other which wouldn't work. I had to correct that issue.

Here's the result

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Turning the brass dog is easy with a belt sander. Just slowly rotate the drive dog while on the shaft. It took me about 1-2 minutes.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I tried to hand drill out the coupler for the Ammo motor, It didn't work out.
    LOL... me too! The way I got it done was to clamp a piece of plastic I had to the table on my drill press. Drilled a hole down into it with the 1/8" bit. Then took the bit out, turned it upside down and put it in the hole. Then put the coupler in the chuck and ran it down onto the stationary bit. Worked perfectly.

BTW, what's the part number on that jacket?

Part # gnd-4195
    Fits 20mm to 28mm Diameter Motors. My motor is 28mm. Fits like a glove!

Hey, Diego, What prop do you think will be best with that motor? Im working on mine too.
    Yes its fast, yes it will go far away, yes its expensive. No you cant try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    I also added the silicone water jacket. the inlet and outlet were opposite each other which wouldn't work. I had to correct that issue.

Here's the result

I'm such a NOOB to boats, so I really need your help guys. I finally got my Mini Rio, and I also purchased that same water jacket for motor cooling when I add the brushless. But I don't understand what you mean when you say the inlet and outlet were reversed to you fixed it. How did you fix it, or what will I need to do? Also, can you send me a link to the other parts I.E. the .098 Flex shaft? Also, where is the drive dog located?

Hang in there with me, as I said, I am a Noob, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I'm putting it together for you now...

Let's start with this question...

Quote Originally Posted by Capgun_Slim View Post
    Where is the drive dog located?
    This diagram should help out alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Capgun_Slim View Post
    I don't understand what you mean when you say the inlet and outlet were reversed to you fixed it. How did you fix it, or what will I need to do?
    Get yourself a piece of K&S 5/32 brass tube.

Cut off one of the outlet tips on the jacket.

Drill a 3/32 hole in the opposite side of the outlet you just cut.
    * The hole will close up with the bit removed, it's normal.

Insert the tube into the hole you drilled in the jacket let about 3/16 stick out the back and mark where the 2 water channels are placed on the tube with a pencil.

Drill 2 small 3/32 holes in one side where the pencil marks are.

Fill the end with solder to seal it shut.

file or sand the rough edges on the tube.

Insert the tube in the jacket positioning the holes in the water channels.

Cut the tube to length.

Done

Diego thanks very much for the great illustrations, and instruction. I can't believe how many parts/names for that little sucker, lol!

Do the silicone sleeves work best though? I'd think some aluminum or copper tubing around it would be better...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Do the silicone sleeves work best though? I'd think some aluminum or copper tubing around it would be better...
    You'd be wrong. The tube is round, therefore very little surface area for cooling is contacting the motor. where as the silicone jacket, the water is in direct contact with the motor.

Well truthfully the water is in direct contact with the silicone sleeving, which is in better contact with the motor... but silicone isn't a super effective thermal conductor

Then put a heat sink on it and forget the water....

Hey Diego, I love the machined rudders and other hardware you fabricated. Very Impressive. Any idea if you'll be making more, that you might want to sell? Or will Grim Racer possibly be making something similar, that can be mass marketed?

They are very nice. I have 2 sets!. Lonewolf made them for me. He makes custom HW for just about any application. He's here, look him up.

Default help

would i be better off putting an 11.1 volt lipo or a brushless motor and can you run them both stock

Hey guys - got my boat in the water today - lots of fun... for 7 or so mins. I need more time! But I also want more speed.

What is the most common upgrade on the motor? I am not really scared of electrical work at all, so I'd like to go to a brushless I think... but I need to know details!

Also - in the meantime, what is the largest battery that fits in these things? Or, should I just buy multiple 1100mAH ones?

Does anyone have any idea how many amps the stock Mini Rio ESC/Receiver can handle or how many amps the stock 380 motor draws? I am using this ESC/Receiver in my Mini V and I am thinking about upgrading to a Graupner 480 BB brushed motor for a little more speed. The Graupner draws 8.5amps at max efficiency.

Don't know how many amps.but I ran the same motor with the stock esc and it worked fine..wasn't much of a speed difference to me

Thanks for the info Dirty!

I was hoping for a little more speed with the Graupner, but if there is not much difference, I can leave it stock and run it in my pool.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    I tried to hand drill out the coupler for the Ammo motor, It didn't work out. I ordered a pair of replacement couplers and a new wire cable (since AQ decided to discontinue the original ones and replace them with upgraded ones)
    I couldn't wait any longer. I ripped out the stuffing tube, installed a bigger one, and went with the tried and true .098. I'm going to install a RX, and add a silicone cooling jacket and run her this weekend!

Diegoboy
    is there any chance that i can get the links to the- couplers,stuffing tube,and wire cable parts that you have. love your boat, like to know who made those rudders would like to get some.

Sure...

Coupler: Octura Coupler Flex Hex 1/8" to .098 Cable

Stuffing tube: 3/16" Diameter pn#129

Flex Cable: Octura .098 cable system

Lonewolf made those rudders!

hey Diegoboy
    the flex did you assemble it or would you let offshore assemble it and how much of the cable was used and can you show me how to cut flex cable. also did you have to cut the stuffing tube and did you have bend the tube to fit
    Thanks
    Wil
    Last edited by RCman; 07-23-2008 at 07:51 AM.

I assembled the flex cable myself, the "how-to" is laid out here. If you're unsure of your skills, just get the assembled one!

Not very much of the cable was used. In fact, if you buy another Stub/prop shaft, you'll have enough for another boat.

The method for cutting the flex cable is described in the last paragraph of the assembly info! (I cut mine in an unorthodox method.)

The tube will have to be cut, but bending it is not necessary for this application.
    I use this to cut my tubes, but any ol' hack saw should be fine.
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 07-23-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Diego what motor are you using in that setup

diegoboy
    would the mini cat racing mini hydro rudders work on the boat.

Diego saw you are using the 28-35-2700.. I am looking at the 28-35-3900. Do you know what ESC I should use? Or, where did you get your 28-35-2700 because Tower says they're out of stock til Sept

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast