Thread: Bulletproof "Quick-Change" 4" rail motor mount

Default Bulletproof "Quick-Change" 4" rail motor mount

While waiting for parts to arrive for my 32" Jersey Skiff build, the first dilemma was to come up with a motor mount that doesn't require some mini-contortions to change motors given the relatively limited inside access of this hull. A easy in / easy out design was called for that would allow quick motor replacement between heats, as the first race outing will be with spec motors that should be rather challanged with a submerged prop. Later plans call for full-house P-Class power, so to make the act of changing motors painless, I came up with a design that's a no-sweat operation. Using the extra-strong Insane front mount (which has solidly supported a 1527 Neu in a different boat) and is noticebly thicker than the adequate but mostly spec-rated OSE mount, it mounts to a plate (with a cutout to allow for bigger motor cooling jackets) that can easily be removed with four outside 4mm cap screws that thread to the right-angle pieces that stay bolted to the rails. No more frustration trying to start those balky 3mm motor screws buried inside with a mount permanently attached, or removing the four conventional rail mount bolts.`

DSC02787.JPG DSC02788.JPG

DSC02789.JPG DSC02790.JPG
    Last edited by properchopper; 11-30-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Hi,
    That looks like a great idea.
    Were can I buy them at ?
    I need one for a 4 1/2 rail and may be water cooled to.

Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Hi,
    That looks like a great idea.
    Were can I buy them at ?
    I need one for a 4 1/2 rail and may be water cooled to.

Thanks for any info.
    Lenny, I just made this starting with the Insane FE30 motor mount and some aluminum angle iron and plate. Lots of drilling and tapping & some polishing. I'm likely going to replace the bottom rail-to-rail piece with CF plate to go lighter. As it sits, it weighs 4.15 oz.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Ok thanks,
    I think I will try to mod your idea,
    For what I need in a mount, But water cooled for a outrunner to.
    Thanks for sharing the info.

Aero makes something very similar. If you want pictures shoot me an email.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Looks good Tony. I have a similar functioning mount in my DF21 MkII, four easily accessable bolts and half of the mount and motor come right out. It could easily be flipped over for a flat bottom hull, and wooden blocks could even be used to screw it to. No problems supporting a 1717.

Plenty of pics in my build thread if you want to have a look - https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...Mk2&highlight=
    Scott Tapsall
    Pine Rivers Model Powerboat Club - Facebook Page
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T View Post
    Looks good Tony. I have a similar functioning mount in my DF21 MkII, four easily accessable bolts and half of the mount and motor come right out. It could easily be flipped over for a flat bottom hull, and wooden blocks could even be used to screw it to. No problems supporting a 1717.

Plenty of pics in my build thread if you want to have a look - https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...Mk2&highlight=

Scott, beautiful work overall I hear you on the rudder bracket/trim tab real estate conflict; been there lots of time myself ! The quick change mount is super ! Link ?
    ( making mine was a PIA and my apt. still has aluminum chips embedded everywhere !)

That is a real cool way of doing it Scott! Bravo! I like the simplicity of it, and looks real strong a rear retaining ring would be eazy too.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Scott, beautiful work overall I hear you on the rudder bracket/trim tab real estate conflict; been there lots of time myself ! The quick change mount is super ! Link ?
    ( making mine was a PIA and my apt. still has aluminum chips embedded everywhere !)
    Thanks Tony. Andrew at Fastelectrics developed that one, and they're available here - http://www.fastelectrics.com/hardware.asp Might save you some aluminium chips in the future
    Scott Tapsall
    Pine Rivers Model Powerboat Club - Facebook Page
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T View Post
    Thanks Tony. Andrew at Fastelectrics developed that one, and they're available here - http://www.fastelectrics.com/hardware.asp Might save you some aluminium chips in the future
    Thanks, Scott. I now remember seeing them some time ago. Really nice design. Next time !!

I did an easy to remove support that is now my standard... It's mostly CNC (except the threads), easy to assemble and very easy to remove/install: three screws from the top and you're done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CornelP View Post
    I did an easy to remove support that is now my standard... It's mostly CNC (except the threads), easy to assemble and very easy to remove/install: three screws from the top and you're done.
    Very nice !! I wish I had more than just a hacksaw, drill press & a grinder/sander.

It's actually made in a local shop on my drawings... less than 10$/set...

Do you have a photo of the piece (on the hull) that the mount attaches to ?

It's actually made in a local shop on my drawings... less than 10$/set...
    Very nice mount,
    Can you do a water cooled version, something like that for outrunners motors ?

LMK

Lenny D

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Do you have a photo of the piece (on the hull) that the mount attaches to ?
    Unfortunately no, but it's just a strip of 2.5mm carbon with three 3mm blind nuts underneath... I made an older one in 4mm aluminum, directly threaded. Carbon is easier to glue in place... :p

Lenny, I have a drawing for a watercooled one, but never fabricated it yet.
    Early next year I should have some of these in carbon, one piece. If it turns out ok, I'll ship a couple over the pond...

Unfortunately no, but it's just a strip of 2.5mm carbon with three 3mm blind nuts underneath... I made an older one in 4mm aluminum, directly threaded. Carbon is easier to glue in place... :p

Lenny, I have a drawing for a watercooled one, but never fabricated it yet.
    Early next year I should have some of these in carbon, one piece. If it turns out ok, I'll ship a couple over the pond...
    Hey,
    How did you every make out with the water cooled motor mount ?
    I am still looking for something.

Thanks for any info.

Lenny,

I recently wanted to figure out how to convert an installed, non cooled mount to a watercooled one. I thought of this, where the cooling block is sandwiched between the motor and the existing mount - the mounting holes line everything up using longer than normal screws:

http://fightercatracing.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=56

Or use the center piece from one of these : (maybe narrowed)

http://fightercatracing.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=56

Just thinkin'.....

Thanks Tony,
    I am looking for something universal for different motor sizes to.
    I will probably need to mod or make my own.