Thread: Help with steering

Default Help with steering

The pond near my home is very narrow (15-20yds wide). I need to be able to make tight turns.

Current set up and how it turns.

1) Stock controller and stock turn fin (does not have both turn fins yet) with steering trim set slightly to right of cent. Running 2s 5000mah lipos.

2) Boat wants to pull right. In the straight aways at full throttle I must try to turn the boat full to the left in order for it keep straight. When I let off the throttle it will turn left much easier. With this set up, I'm able to make my right hand turns in the pond. If I set up to run straight, I cannot make the right hand turns unless, I slow way down and give it full throttle thrust until it is aiming straight again

3) I'd like to be able to make the right hand turn and when coming out of the turn be able to go full throttle and have the boat travel in a straight line.

4) Will the other turn fin help me achieve this?

5) Is there something I can do with servo linkage?

6) When the batteries are plugged, what position should the rudder in? I'm assuming it should be aiming straight.

7) Any guess on how fast you think it running?

Thanks for all your tips,

Dave

Here is a short video so you can see the size of the pond and how the boat is running.

http://youtu.be/sRr6vwqfe6k

Hey Dave,

Firstly the port turn fin will only help your boat turn to the left, it mite help a little to keep it in a straighter line and its definately worth getting the port fin.

The boat wants to pull to the right all the time because of the way the prop rotates.

You want the rudder as straight as possible when the batteries are plugged in then adjust the steering trim as needed once you've gone down the straight a bit.

The best way I found to turn tighter was to adjust the steering RATE on the controller, this gets the rudder turning faster and therefore you can turn quicker.

When you say you cannot make fast right turns, what happens to you boat? does it skip around the corner? tucking the rudder in should help that particular problem.

Post a vid of you trying to corner fast then we'll get a better Idea of the problem mate.

By the way you boat looks great and looks fast, I reckon you well into the mid if not high 40s!

Have fun mate

Tone