Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing the BJ26 Handling Issues

yeah Ive already read that report also had some info from another source saying that some guy was running stock with 4s in parallel with speeds up to 50mph ?? could this be true ? getting back to my awaiting order issue seems iam awaiting a shipment from horizon to the UK approx 3 weeks also a true mare trying to get hold of a octura x642 here in the UK everyone seems to be out of stock any ideas from across the pond with cheap shipping e-bay nothing seen on there either ..........have dubro SW on order though and where is there a direct link to the correct items for the fullers hop up inc all other bits

maxamus the sponge for info lol

I have a question if anyone knows. I ordered Fuller's hardware last week. I sent the order in for the cat hardware. Ray, called and said the Hydro hardware is the one to use for turning right. This set-up came w/ 1 1/2" down strut that sits off of the transom like a Hydro setup.

1. Where should I mount the strut ? Right at the bottom of the boat ? Do I need to offset it a bit to make up for the prop ?

.The rudder is offset and is 1 1/2 inch from the center of the mount to the hinge. Rudder itself is 2 3/4" from the bottom of the rudder mount.The rudder looks like it will sit on top of the strut and allow (the strut)adjustment up. This way only allows 3/4" to 1" away from the prop. The rudder is about 3 inches away from the prop if I mount it to the side of the strut.

2. Which way of mounting the rudder is better ?
    Vortex 22 hydro ammo 36-50
    Vortex Cyber Storm 33 P spec Mono AC 36-56
    PT SS-45 Q-hydro Neu 1527/1Y

Quote Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
    PropNutt- Did you have a chance to run the packs more? Also what balancing tabs does it come with? HP/PQ?
    Yes, I have run them 5 or 6 times now and they just keep getting better. Ran them with my x642 prop today timing set to high and again just got luke warm after non stop WOT run. The run times seem to be getting longer too. Here are the complete specs on the batteries:

Spec.
    Capacity: 4300mAh
    Config: 7.4v / 2 cell / 2S1P
    Discharge: 20C Constant, 30C Bursts
    Weight: 246g (entire pack. Not only combined cell weight)
    Size: 145x45x18mm
    Plug Style:JST-XH

Quote Originally Posted by ETOWNE View Post
    I have a question if anyone knows. I ordered Fuller's hardware last week...............
    I called Fuller today. I mount the strut right at the bottom of the hull. Also, I put the rudder mount right above it. It's done.
    Vortex 22 hydro ammo 36-50
    Vortex Cyber Storm 33 P spec Mono AC 36-56
    PT SS-45 Q-hydro Neu 1527/1Y

Quote Originally Posted by MAXAMUS View Post
    yeah Ive already read that report also had some info from another source saying that some guy was running stock with 4s in parallel with speeds up to 50mph ?? could this be true ?

If you are looking for all out speed read some of Obrien's threads. He is one of the few here to break 50mph with this boat.

Finally broke 50!
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=2200

Finally tried Lipos
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=2345

As far as doing 50 with the stock setup I think it would be highly unlikely.

Well finished modding my blackjack today...
    I followed PropNutt43 directions and have added acouple of others things...
    Thanks to PN43 for showing us how to make our boats handle better...
    I will post some pictures of my BJ in acouple of days... Going to the lake tomorrow to test and tune...
    Joe007

hi guys just been scouting about and seen this
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Aluminum-rudder-a...742.m153.l1262

how would this do for the BJ ???

Yeah, I've seen this too. It looks to be of fairly good quality everything has a nice finish and there are bushings in the strut. Would probably work ok on the BJ26 but you will have to deal with a couple things.

1st:
    The flex shaft and stub shaft are 4mm so you would need an adapter for the stub shaft if you want to use 3/16" props. Might be able to use the one that comes on the stock BJ26 drive but I'm not sure of the inside diameter if it's 1/8" or 4mm.

2nd:
    Because the flex shaft is 4mm you might need to change the coupler on the motor from .150 to 4mm if it won’t hold the flex shaft tight enough.

3rd:
    The front of the strut looks like it comes farther forward than the back of the transom of the boat so you may need to cut the stuffing box tube back a little to make it fit right.

If you can live with all that it should work ok on this boat.

Well I've seen the light and iam gonna wait a while then go with the fullers cat hardware after all the reading I've done over the last week there are a few that are a no no for sure plus i like the look of your set up last i read you were still trimming out hows things now ? what sort of speeds are you reaching ant whats the spec of your lipo's ?
    Last edited by MAXAMUS; 05-31-2008 at 04:53 PM.

I would like to clear something up, it was never my intension to prove that Fullers Offshore Catamaran Hardware is “The best hardware” I don’t believe any one set up is. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You should choose what best fits your needs and goals.

For me, I want stability at top speed, meaning the boat won’t blow over backward easily. I want it to turn both left and right at any speed without flipping upside down and I want it to turn like it’s on rails. Breaking speed records isn’t one of my intensions for now because the main pond I run in is too small to be going 50+mph.

There is lot of good quality drive hardware out there. What I would like to see is more people stepping up and showing off (with pictures) what other setups they have gone with and (documenting with details) if they have accomplished what they wanted to. This way we can all learn more from each other and have more choices to go with. So please share your boat mods and accomplishments.

Back to Maxamus questions. Yes, I’m still trimming out my boat and probably always will be because I’m continuously looking to get a little more out of it. It’s getting very close to what I’ve been looking to accomplish.

Since I started running Lipos I’ve played around with the turn fins some more. I’ve remounted them back in the original holes and slotted the bottom hole on each turn fin so the angle can be adjusted and tightened down. With Lipos the boat seems more stable with less angle on them than I had originally.

As far as what kind of speeds I’m running couldn’t tell you for sure don’t have a gps yet but it is on my list of things to get. If I had to guess I would say some where in the low 40mph range.

I am trying to get some decent video footage and will post it later. In the mean time here are some pictures of my boat at the pond in front of my subdivision.

BJ26 at the pond 001.JPG BJ26 at the pond 002.JPG BJ26 at the pond 003.jpg
    Last edited by PropNutt43; 06-06-2008 at 01:29 PM.

great photos
    well iam still waiting on my BJ to arrive my other items have or are winging there way to me as i type lol

lipo programmer
    switch mount
    octura x642 b/s/p
    2x 7.4v 6600mah lipo's
    a predator z which will be my rescue boat
    http://www.raidentech.com/1scprzrareco1.html
    with a few mods using carbon rods and pool noodles

so all i need now is my BJ

do you know where the CofG is on the BJ and how crucial is it to be on in the running ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MAXAMUS View Post
    do you know where the CofG is on the BJ and how crucial is it to be on in the running ?
    I never checked the CG with the stock drive. With the Fullers hardware on and NiMH batteries in stock location it is about 7.75 inches from back of transom forward, with Lipos 7.50 inches.

So far I’ve had the best results with the CG set at 6.50 to 6.75 inches for NiMHs and 6.75 inches for Lipos. NiMH location 3” to 4” back from stock, Lipos 2” back.

As far as the CG being crucial, it is very important in how the boat will run. The closer towards the transom you go the more speed you will get but the wider your turning radius will become. The boat will also tend to blow over backwards easier. The farther away from the transom the less speed you will get but turning will be tighter. Prop angle and depth will affect these things too.

Pronutt, so you put your turn fins back to the stock location.. Does that mean you put the fins back in the stock alignment where they are almost straight up and down... Also so you are saying that you do not have the turn fins following the the angle of boat so that the boat will track better in turns as you stated before..
    Joe007

I put the turn fins back in the stock mounting holes which are strait up and down and also lower than where I had them before. I still have them angled in at the bottom but not as much as before. The turn fins are now adjustable because I used a small hobby file to slot the lower hole in the turn fins.

Here are some pics:

BJ26 Fin Angle 001.jpg BJ26 Fin Angle 002.jpg BJ26 Fin Angle 003.jpg BJ26 Fin Angle 004.jpg

I am still playing with the angle of the turn fins and will be shortening them some. Length is back at 1" below ride surface right now.

Here is some video with this setup.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mqv1GBGQfKc (You Tube)

Sorry about the quality its avi. converted to their format.

Here is a link where you can download the same video but better quality.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1603610 (Download)

Hit the download button on the site page then click on download file now.
    Last edited by PropNutt43; 06-11-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Ok I understand what you are saying... Dang that BJ moves real good and the cornering looked real nice.... Can you get a zoom on your boat corning...
    Awesome your hard work paid off...
    Joe007

i have just had Solinger Hardware added...Brillaint , Full throttle turns stable, quick, nothing else to say!

Thats my 2 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by Apples1 View Post
    i have just had Solinger Hardware added...Brillaint , Full throttle turns stable, quick, nothing else to say!

Thats my 2 cents!
    I take it you used the Mono hardware package that OSE sells? Can you please take some pics of it installed? I'm considering changing mine over.

no i dont think its the mono version, i had it installed for me at fast Electricts for about $100 ,he also did some hull mods for me as well (at an extra cost) to increase the ride surface area and lose one step. here is his site www.fastelectrics.com

The thing i unbelievable, and quick too, with out the turn fins. the boat does ride quite high in the water (due to the hull mods) so when i put it into a turn, i back the trottle off for a fraction of a second,crank the steering and gas it full. it tracks really well, but i am still prone to blowovers if the conditions are right, i am running a 645 and 2s lipos with stock motor and ESC.

the reason for all this is only because i am planning on racing at a club and maybe state level if all goes well, i will try and get some photos tonight for you.

Quote Originally Posted by PropNutt43 View Post
    I wouldn't attempt using 2 3s packs because the esc is not rated for that high of voltage, I believe 21v is the max.
    Would like to make a correction concerning the past statement above from an earlier post. It has been proven wrong in the following thread. Just thought everyone would like to know. If you are looking for crazy speed check it out!!! 55.8mph so far with stock esc and motor on 2 3s packs!!!

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=3820

To: Anthony.L

Sorry for all the questions you are going to get. Thanks for proving It can be done!
    Last edited by PropNutt43; 06-14-2008 at 09:06 AM.

sorry for delay guys...busy week at work! hopefully they help out a little the photos are a little big, this is the reason for photo bucket!

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/john_watkins1/

Apples1

Thanks for posting the pictures of your hull mods!!! They truly answer any questions as to how it should be done for anyone who wishes to make these mods. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Quote Originally Posted by Apples1 View Post
    sorry for delay guys...busy week at work! hopefully they help out a little the photos are a little big, this is the reason for photo bucket!

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/john_watkins1/
    Now your cookin' with crisco.

TRUNKMONKY,

From your comment, I take it Apple1's hull mod is close to the same as you've done on your boat in this video you posted earlier in the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT2UKoTILJY

Is this correct? If not, some comparison pics would be nice so we could see what's different.
    Last edited by PropNutt43; 06-15-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Hi all

Still waiting and still no sign of my darn boat
    lipo's arrived and are currently on charge 2x 7.4v 66000 mah 20c in fact iam already to go ............

Probnutt please could you list the exact items required for the fullers hardware as i think iam going to purchase this as well while iam waiting.

also are you guys inserting any buoyancy aids to the internal part of the boat ? IE are you putting foam up front in the cavity is this advisable in my RC planes sometimes i use to fill the front cavity with the expandable foam filler you spray from a tin available at your local hardware shop

Please refer to Post #5 on the first page of this tread for ordering details on Fullers Offshore Cat Hardware.

As far as adding flotation, it's definitely a good idea. Also always use hatch tape to make sure the hatch doesn’t come off when you flip over. Trust me it will happen.

I wouldn't use the expanding foam from a spray can. It will bulge the hull when it expands. I know because I tried it. It wasn’t pretty and was a lot of fun cleaning it out afterwards.

Pool noodles have worked the best for me. Just cut to fit. You can get them easily at this time of year at most stores.

Or order it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Water-Noodles-Wa...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by PropNutt43 View Post
    TRUNKMONKY,

From your comment, I take it Apple1's hull mod is close to the same as you've done on your boat in this video you posted earlier in the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT2UKoTILJY

Is this correct? If not, some comparison pics would be nice so we could see what's different.
    That's the way I did mine,only I run diff hadrware and power system.

Default BJ 26 handeling

Hi and thanks for the info Do you think just changing the turn finsto be angled like you did will help the BJ 26any dont really want to do all the mods you did but am willing to angle the fins

As I stated earlier in this thread I never ran the fins angled with the stock drive setup so I can't tell you for sure if it will help. I can say it has made a big difference with the setup I am running now.

If you want to try it I suggest using a small hobby file to slot the bottom hole of each turn fin. This way you will be able to play with the amount of angle to put on the fins.

BJ26 Slotted Turn Fin 001.jpg Slotted bottom hole

Use a flat washer with the bottom screw to cover the slot before you tighten it down. If you don't get the results you want at least this way you can put the fins back to the stock position.

BJ26 Fin Angle 003.jpg With flat washer

I also recommend shortening them so that only 3/4 to 1 inch is below the bottom of the hulls ride surface. A dremel with a cut off blade will do the job. Make sure to sharpen the bottom edge of the turn fins after they have been cut.

Im trying to get my education on boat handling....what are advantages/disadvantages of drive hardware length? i.e.- the difference in length of the tlr system vs. the fullers?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast