Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: **Guys** help me build a boat DF Cyber Storm 33

No offense taken LD. I just prefer to give advice with caution. And, am a firm believer that the cost of an extra $15 prop or two and working your way up is cheaper than a $150+ motor. I also tend to prop my own stuff to live through a two minute full throttle run. Boats being run in sport conditions of on the throttle off the throttle can usually stand a little more prop but running the 1/6 mile oval where the trigger gets pulled and held for the duration of the race tends to get things a bit warmer.
    I'm also a little confused by the boat running 6s 2p using 2 5000 ma and 2 2650 ma packs. If it's 6s 2p I'm guessing all the packs are 3s then run series and parallel? IMO mixing ma or even c rating in a parallel setup is inviting trouble as well.

You are correct on the 6s2p set up. That Cyberstorm belongs to "Suckmywake", a member here and a personal friend of mine. He completed the build earlier this year and has been using the unconventional battery configuration since. The C rating is the same on all 4 packs as well as the voltage. He has not had one lick of trouble using the packs this way. We do not race, only sport run. If the OP wants to run a 2p set up in his CS, I suggest using the same battery configuration as weight and room becomes an issue in the smaller hull. Or, to be safe, to start, just use 6s1p using two 5000mah packs. Hes not going to get more than 5 minutes of full throttle runtime anyway with the voltage and kv he will be running.
    As far as prop, I suggested an X445 because thats what I recently used on a build a couple weeks ago. Its more than mild enough to get him used to running an FE boat that wont stress components. Im by no means insinuating(spelling?) that you are steering him wrong, Im just throwing another suggestion out there.

When I get all my stuff in Ill see where it will balance out at..Im gonna try to stuff 6s2p in there but well see..The 3000mah 6s packs im looking at are 43mm tall..I think putting the motor as far forward as possible and putting the packs in the middle I can get them in there..Like said Ill see when I get everything..Im gonna make some dummy packs with the measurements and if it fits Ill then order the packs..
    Also guys..Im not a newb at building..I build large helis,airplanes,rc cars all of which are electric..Im just new to the boat scene.I understand the right setups and whatnot for electrics...Ill get it just like I want it eventually.. :)

Haven't abandoned you or the thread, just been occupied the past few days and waiting for you to gather up your stuff to get started.
    I had built my share of planes before getting addicted to the boats, too. I blame the real addiction on finding a FE club to run & race with. If not for that I'd probably have a lot less boats than I do.
    The motor in my DF33 very far forward as well. (I mounted it where a glow motor would have went on the 4" rails) and run a pair of 4s 5000's behind it. It balanced about right in that configuration.
    Any progress yet?

My hull and hardware will be here thursday and Im off friday and saturday..I guess Ill want to start by installing hardware first..I got the dual pickup rudder and I think it may not work with the trim tabs without notching out a bit..Ill see when I get it..Also Im gonna have to take some measurements when I get the hull to see what size packs I can stuff in there.Really untill I get the packs Im going to use, there wont be anything to do because Ill need the packs to see about the cg and mounting placement..Im gonna get some pics up here every step of the way..
    I already have my boat stand built and all the supplies for the build..The only thing I dont have is a prop or batts..My prop is being worked right now(ill have it next week x447/3)..Should have packs by next week as well..I cant wait to get the build going..Im so excited!!!!!

Sweet...Got my stuff..Got the stinger and turn fins mounted..I was thinking..It it really necessary for trim tabs? I mean Im not gonna be racing, I will be doing sport-speed style runs..Dang this is one sweet hull..Looks fast just sitting there..Got my batts ordered..I got the 6s 3000 40c packs..Its gonna be tight but Ill get her done..

The tabs will come more into play for setting the ride attitude than for turning. The turn fins come into play on turns. You can always try it without them and add in later if needed.

Yeah thats what I was thinking..Im getting a bracket built to extend my rudder back 1 1/4 inches ..That will put the Leading edge of the rudder just behind the drive dog..Ill get some pics when I get it back and installed..

Im just playing around with the placement..I think somewhat in this fashion is where I will be placing everything And Ill be able to adj between 28-30% on the CG.Ill mount some batt trays and whatnot as well.Also I will be laying down some glass on the motor mount, stuffing tube and just to reinforce .So how does everything look so far? Feel free to make any suggestions as Im not committed on that setup yet..

I have a question about the stinger..The stinger bushing just slides freely in the stinger and on the flex shaft..Does this bushing just float in the stinger or are you supposed to fix it to the stinger..I dont know anything about these stingers..

It's as it should be and should slide freely on both. Most of the time when I'm getting ready to grease the flex shaft I'll slide the bushing onto the shaft and down to the stub. That way it gets more grease up the tube.

Found my setup..Im gonna go with it..I can put in 6s packs and packs as small as 2s 2p and I can get her to balance with room to adjust either packs at 28-30%..Im making the servo plate rx box plate and the esc plate..Getting ready to get my glass on...Maybe the next couple of days Ill get my rudder and prop..This build is going alot smoother than I expected..So far anyway..

Motor mount stuck down...FG strips through the mount..

Strips laid down..

Another layer on top of all that..

Stuffing tube next..

You shouldn't have to worry about those mounts coming loose on you.

Are the ez locks good for securing the canopy? Or what is the best way to secure the canopy? Tape will also be used of course..

No real opinion on those from me. I pin mine at the front then use tape to hold it down and seal it all around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you just cut the flex cable or is there anything special you have to do when cutting it?

If you are using two big 6s packs in parallel, it might be too much weight for the 32" boat. For the flex, I use a metal cut off wheel for a Dremel.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    If you are using two big 6s packs in parallel, it might be too much weight for the 32" boat. For the flex, I use a metal cut off wheel for a Dremel.
    It balances perfectly..The packs are 6s 3000mah..There the exact same weight as the 3s 5000mah packs..Ill find out later this week..I should be done with the build by then..

+1 on the dremel & cut off wheel. It doesn't hurt to add a little silver solder to the end when you're done cutting. Just don't go back too far with the solder if you do. It can make it impossible to get the flex past a bend if ran back too far. (yes, I have done that before so it's the voice of experience speaking)

Gotcha. I saw 5.0mah packs in the pics. Was able to squint hard enough to see they are 2s packs. I personally have not had luck with soldering flexes. They seemed to come out of the collet. Doesnt mean it shouldnt be done. You can even just cut the flex and leave bare. Doesnt hurt. Another option is to use Loktite 603 on the end.

Got the stuffing tube finished..Now all I need to do is finish the flex shaft, install battery trays, figure out how Im gonna secure the hatch, and throw on some decals..Cant wait to get her in the water!!

Very nice, clean build!!

Floatation installed..I didnt get any pics of it but the front 1/4 of the boat I carved Styrofoam and the rest is foam insulation noodles..Mostly all of the wiring and water lines will run inside the noodles for a very clean look..

Dang...My building station is getting cluttered..Who am I kidding its like that all the time..

Quote Originally Posted by pyroM!KE View Post

Dang...My building station is getting cluttered..Who am I kidding its like that all the time..
    Yeah, who are you kiddin'. That bench isn't cluttered. Looks really neat & tidy compared to mine.

Got her done boyz..Well pretty much..I still need to throw on some decals..I need to shorten the esc wires but Im gonna wait untill I get her dialed in just to be on the safe side in case I have to move it..did a leak test in the tub everything turned out good.. Gonna maiden her tommorow..Ill try to get a vid of the maiden..

It took about 6 hours a night for a week to get her built..Whats crazy is trying to picture everything and finding that right setup took half of that time..It was a fun build..Now on to the funner stuff...

Also Im hoping that since everything is low the cg should be low as well keeping the wet side down in a roll over..we will see

Got the maiden under my belt..It took 2 trys..It went like 20 feet and stopped because the coupler was loose, well I had it tight but it wasnt tight enough.It was out in the middle of the pond for like 1 hour...I forgot my fishing pole...2nd try I got about a 2 min run untill I had a blow over.Cracked my hatch and busted the servo mount loose.I just had the servo mount superglued but now im gonna glass her up.. .The boat ran pretty stable ..Damn its fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by pyroM!KE View Post
    Got the maiden under my belt..It took 2 trys..It went like 20 feet and stopped because the coupler was loose, well I had it tight but it wasnt tight enough.It was out in the middle of the pond for like 1 hour...I forgot my fishing pole...2nd try I got about a 2 min run untill I had a blow over.Cracked my hatch and busted the servo mount loose.I just had the servo mount superglued but now im gonna glass her up.. .The boat ran pretty stable ..Damn its fast!!
    Looking good Mike. Is that a 4082? Sorry to hear bout hatch. Do you have a video of the run? I have the same servo mount which I popped in between 2 wooden balsa blocks and soaked in epoxy. Always find superglue unreliable. I haven't ran my Cyberstorm yet but it is all ready to go. Just need some good weather.
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

Quote Originally Posted by Drax21 View Post
    Looking good Mike. Is that a 4082? Sorry to hear bout hatch. Do you have a video of the run? I have the same servo mount which I popped in between 2 wooden balsa blocks and soaked in epoxy. Always find superglue unreliable. I haven't ran my Cyberstorm yet but it is all ready to go. Just need some good weather.
    Yeah thats a 4082 1550..I didnt get a video but I will..I just glassed the servo mount down similar to the engine mount I did..It shouldnt come loose now..My hatch isnt bad..Its just a chip really..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast