Thread: My T-180 cooling mod

Default My T-180 cooling mod

So I had this T-180 that the BEC went out on and then the LVC went out, so it only put out a fraction of the voltage. With help from members of this forum I set it to no cell protection and it's back up and running.

So I got in to it a little bit and discovered this:

Don't know if that contributed to the issues but it sure looks to be blocking water from cooling the ESC. 3 out of the 4 fittings were like this.

I've seen people cool the center opening of the ESC in several ways but this was my solution:

And this is how it looks crammed in my Spartan:

Epoxied some caps on the center openings and installed some 7/32 pieces of brass tubing. It all came together with 5 minute 2 part epoxy. Haven't tested it on the water but it doesn't leak and water flows through with little to no resistance.

Thanks for looking

does the tube go all the way through or just an insert into the chamber?

Tube goes in flush. The intent is to flood the center once it has been made in to a chamber.

makes sense.

Was that first picture the nose piece you lost from the MG strut? trying to blame it on hobbywing, shame on you.

Very "cool" rafael. I may have to try that myself.

Hope it works out well for you!

Here's mine i did a while back, i used aluminum stock to cover each end of the cavity which acts like a heat sink as well. One inlet fills the cavity to one outlet............still working well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

nice set up.
    on the first picture you have there I see you have the same problem at your water as we have at our
    lake. Heavy Calcium in the water. A good thing to do would be to flush the cooling system out with
    fresh water then use a bit of compressed air to get rid of the remaining water in the system
    at the end ot the days running.

Thanks guys. That's actually not calcium. It's was some kind of compound that they use when they install the nipples. Possibly plumbing teflon paste so that they don't leak.

But that's a good tip and I always pull the hose out the rudder and blow the water out of the line. I hate it when you remove an ESC or a motor and it takes a leak on your lap

Tried it on 6S, 2P with a 4082 1600kv motor in my Spartan with x445 prop and it was cool to the touch and water flowed very abundantly out of the cooling outlet. Seems to be a good mod for just a few cents.