Thread: what my boat hopping on stright run

Default what my boat hopping on stright run

Hi all i just ran a 28" balsa wood boat that i build from Peells plan .the boat hop a lot when running straight . see video http://youtu.be/3R6GPvO3puY here the set up i am using In runner Brushless Motor B3656 KV2600
    Aluminum adjustable stinger drive with 4mm cable set
    Zipps kit 50 Amp Brushless Motor Controller
    2S 7.4V 4200 mah lipo battery pack
    Last edited by kennyrach; 11-09-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Move the cg foward to around 30% of the hull length in from the transom, it looks like you also have the stinger up to much at the prop end. Set the stinger level.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Move the cg foward to around 30% of the hull length in from the transom, it looks like you also have the stinger up to much at the prop end. Set the stinger level.
    Yes your right the stringer is high but their no adj for so i make something to level it and what cg ?.I have the motor at at 3/4 of boat starting from transom to front

Cg is centre of gravity, the hull should balance at around 30% of its length. Example if the hull is 28" long then 30% would be 8.4", so the boat should balance 8.4" in from the transom (rear of hull). You can then fine tune the balance from their but 30% is a good starting point.

Does this boat have trims tabs? Tabs can help prevent porpoising like that.
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

Cog, trim tabs and put your strut angle down a bit just my opinion

Pictures????
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31

no trim tab on it i may try and see it that help

boat has battery move up front it still came out of water at half speed .will try next week with the stinger drive angle down a bit and with Feigao 540L "Long" Brushless 540 11L 2,326 RPM / Volt 5mm Shaft motor.to run on two 2S 7.4V 4200 mah lipo pack wire in series

what size you think i need and how far out off back of boat .me thing 1 1/2" off back and 1 1/16 from bottom of boat

I thInk the bottom of the strut should be flush with the bottom of the sponsons

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrach View Post
    no trim tab on it i may try and see it that help
    I'd go with 2" wide by 1-1/2 to 2" long tabs. Put them 1/16" (2mm) above the bottom of the hull (not flush). Adjust if necessary. Should tame it right down.
    Last edited by sundog; 11-17-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: metric conversion
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

sun i was talking about the strut i started with mine flush and level and angled down just a little when my apparition was nosing up and bouncing

Yep, I'd try adjusting the strut down first. But if that won't fix it, tabs will.

Thank all for the info i will try all and see thank

sorry new to boating but when u say adjust the strut which bit on the boat do u mean same with the tabs
    cheers

What i found on my boat is strut angle down will bring boat bow down and strut angle up will bring bow up ,the tabs help the boat run even .You can try and see it this help