Thread: "Newb" to this forum & boating

Default "Newb" to this forum & boating

Hello all, Im kinda new to boating, but not RC. Ive been building RC's for about 2 years now. Gettin bored with trucks, so I sold my Flux HP last week and bought a brushless boat and a plane. I wanted to introduce myself and get a few tips. Everyone on Beat Your Truck and RC Tech pointed me here for boating. Ive tried boats a little. I had a stock Aquacraft Hammer EP briefly. Fun boat. Dropped a EZrun 25A 1/10 esc and 13t 3000kv ground set up in it to pick up the pace a little. Lots of fun on 3s, but with no real cooling for the electronics it got a bit toasty after a few mins. Then a Miss Vegas brushless conversion. Scored it in the winter. TRASHED! After cleaning and rebuilding it I traded it before I ran it. Then a Proboat Mini Vee which seemed to be OK, but more less a toy. Sold it after one run. But I was torn between the Thunder Tiger Outlaw JR Brushless and ProBoat Shockwave 26. But read several threads where the Shockwaves ESC needed replaced ASAP. People said it fried on 2s. So I decieded on the Outlaw. Looked cool IMO. Shoulda saved for the Impulse 31, maybe in the spring I'll look at that one more. But I will have the boat today. I also ordered a Grim Racer Brass prop. It was the one Hobbieco recommends. Cant tell you more, lol.... and some Grim Racer grease for shaft(I do remember you need that). But can any one offer any tips or knowlege for the new guy? I have a Gens Ace 2200, 25c, 3s (same as the pack manufacturer recommends, but 1/2 the cost) on its way from Hobbypartz. Also, I was thinkin of beefing it up. Run 4s - 5s maybe..If the boats capable. What would a good sized motor and ESC for it? Its a 29in deep v haul. I want to run fast with out stressing the electronics. But I dont know if I need a 2858, 3650, etc. And how many amp ESC to be safe? The boat has a ACE outrunner and 45A esc stock http://www.ttamerica.com/boats/ttrb5123.html
    Thanks again for any help at all.

Gesh, dont everyone jump at once. lol

Well I am a newb as well, not to RC and modeling but definitely to boats. So let me welcome you first ;-)

Don't think I remember seeing many (any) posts on here about this boat in the couple years I've been a member, maybe nobody knows what would be a good upgrade for it. Wouldn't want too steer you wrong.
    About the right size for one of the "spec" motors, UL-1, Impulse, Geico etc. My SV27 motor is still running it's original 45 amp esc with a lipo shield.
    I have no idea what the hull would do with the added power though, may become totally undrivable. Nice looking boat thats for sure!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

A wee bit of advise, I would buy a better hull rather than wasting your hard earned cash on dubious performance upgrades on the hull mentioned and yes I am in a bad mood today but to you a hearty welcome to this forum.

Douggie

Thanks Guys! Well got my boat. Everything looked OK outta the box. I know it's not a "top of the line" boat, but brushless system, 2.4 radio and dig. servo for $200 shipped after Towers discount a free shipping seemed to be a great starting point. The USPS screwed up the mail and my Gens Ace was accidently sent to a post office in another town But it's comming today. But I grabbed a 2200 2s SMC from my MERV and headed to a local park with a pond. Well, dropped it in and went. Then something got stuck to the prop and rudder(I think its called) There it was.....Stuck in the middlle of the pond and would only go in small, tight circles. With no luck getting it closer to shore I had no choice. Off came my jacket, shoes and I had to go for a swim. Keep in mind Im in Ohio! The water was close to freezing temps. Its been in the 30's at night for some time. I really didnt know what else to do. I had about 1 min. of runtime and I wasnt leaving $200 out there! crying: After a shhort swim in freezing waters I saved it! Almost went into hypothermia. REALLY! But Im buying a toy inflatable raft or $25 toy boat to save myself from swimming again. Had to share my grim night. Wish me better luck next time.

Man I'd never swim for a boat again! Tried it this summer in a controlled safe environment and it was brutal! Hot summer day off the swim platform of a boat with a lifejacket and throw ring out and ready to go, boat wasn't anchored so we could fire it right up if we got into trouble.
    I'm a good swimmer and in pretty good shape but pushing that boat back was a work out.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Never swim for a boat! Real bad idea!

You could have easily died. Dont do that again. Next time, wait it out. Or, use your new "toy" raft if it proves reliable.

Yea, it was a bit dangerous. It was a pond for paddle boating. Man made with a bunch of large rocks and a strait drop off about 2ft out. But there was another guy there with his kids who was close by. And yea, it's hard to swim and push it back to shore. Even more so when its so cold your shaking uncontrolably. Literally. But I read about gettin a fishin rod with 12lb line and a tennis ball. That sounds good. I just couldnt toss $200+ out that fast. I did'nt beat night fall after work tonight to try again. But I hope I have better lock. Im so darn excited. I do want another ESC. The stock ACE 45A doesnt have reverse which I think could be helpful in a bad situation like last night. I could have went in reverse and got my boat back possably. Are Seakings reliable? Ive had great luck with EZ/XEruns in my trucks. I ordered a metal prop as mentioned. The Tech guy at Hobbieco said it was the prop recommended. I guess its the same prop size/pitch as stock. I love upgrading but really have no idea where to go. It says 22 mph with 3s 2200mAh 25c pack. I wanna go 30-35. Possable with 3s?
    Last edited by RCaddict0; 11-08-2011 at 10:38 PM.

You can also build a cheap rescue boat-- I use a traxxas blast to haul out a fishing line, drive around the stranded boat, then reel 'em in...

Chief

Yea, that was one of my first ideas. Get a $40 Chinese boat and maybe some PVC with foam to keep it all afloat nicely. Like a barge I guess. Go out and push it back

For an inexpensive but reliable setup i'll offer these for 4s lipo:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html

This is probably the best bang for the buck in an ESC - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Boat_ESC.html
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Thanks, Ive been looking at the Turnigy ESC's. Now I gotta see if the motor will fit the stock plate. What about 28x "" as I think it would mount right up. It has a smaller outrunner in it.

Check the spacing between the mount holes. There are alot of the 28 size that will be plenty powerful:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I see all the Turnigy boat motors are 4 pole. Wonder if the 4074 2000kv would work in a MT well. $47!