Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Shawn's Shocker

A moments silence for once of the nicest looking boats I've never seen....

reflecting sonar arrays do cope with angled operation. Point the sonar emitter/collector at ~45deg on high gain and you have 20-30' sight window.
    CF gives a distinctive dead zone echo.

Quote Originally Posted by jcald2000 View Post
    Well I'm in the same sunk boat, 8s 2p carbon fiber rigger with Nue 1530 1y and FC 16/400.
    Our pond is only 5 to 8 feet deep with enough bluing in it to cut visibility to 1 foot.
    Here is what we have tried so far,
    Dragged the the whole back straight with a landscapers rake for 9 hours, you don't have that option.
    Bought a cheap fish finder, not enough bottom detail, the cone at 5' is very small at 50' it would be much bigger and may work except for the logs?
    Bought a cheap metal detector, picks up aluminum only at 9" away including battery's, extended the shaft and wire to 8' after 1/2 hour it went nuts. Water probably got to my lower splice. It says it is water proof.
    The only option I see is left is a handheld Portable Magnetometer which can pick up a 3" "cow" magnet at 10 to 20 feet, what ever that is.
    This can be rented from a place in Texas for surveyors for $10.00 day plus $55.00 set up charge. Do you know any surveyors that have one?
    Hope this can help you narrow your choices!!
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Well I'm in the same sunk boat, 8s 2p carbon fiber rigger with Nue 1530 1y and FC 16/400.
    Our pond is only 5 to 8 feet deep with enough bluing in it to cut visibility to 1 foot.
    Here is what we have tried so far,
    Dragged the the whole back straight with a landscapers rake for 9 hours, you don't have that option.
    Bought a cheap fish finder, not enough bottom detail, the cone at 5' is very small at 50' it would be much bigger and may work except for the logs?
    Bought a cheap metal detector, picks up aluminum only at 9" away including battery's, extended the shaft and wire to 8' after 1/2 hour it went nuts. Water probably got to my lower splice. It says it is water proof.
    The only option I see is left is a handheld Portable Magnetometer which can pick up a 3" "cow" magnet at 10 to 20 feet, what ever that is.
    This can be rented from a place in Texas for surveyors for $10.00 day plus $55.00 set up charge. Do you know any surveyors that have one?
    Hope this can help you narrow your choices!!
    I forgot to mention,sorry to hear about the rigger.Did it go down under power?I had a 20" rigger years ago that hit a wake and went down for what seemed an eternity.It popped straight back up about 20ft in the air 50ft away and rocketed to shore.It lived.They can travel a bit.

Shawn dont you have a local diving place? cant you go in there and ask to pay someone to dive and get it?? seems to me to be the best option and next time use some pool noodles, at walmart for like a dollar i have them in all my boats if anything just to fill the open space in the hull,, i sunk my PB miss elam 3 times and everytime about 5'' of the tips of the sponsons were sticking up out of the water, dried it all out for about a week and flooded out the electrics with corrosinX then blew them out with my compressor and to this day it is still on of my fastest boats well untill i sold it

I had just started increasing power after launch for clock time when I just touched a twin nitro boats wake with my new wider sponson, so the boat was only about 65 mph instead of 85 but the throddle was wide open so it could be anywhere in several acres of lake with a 3 second radio shutdown.
    I forgot to say its a PROTON magnetometer.
    The best of luck with your recovery!

Additional remarks regarding a sunk electric. I would risk more money to try to find this boat. I still think a strong light in the hands of a diver has a chance depending on how murky the water is. My pond has all kinds of debree on the bottom but most boats that sink do not lay flat. They stand on end. One such electric sunk because the ESC started a fire or the batteries shorted who knows but it melted the foam floatation and burned a hole through the hull hence the lack of bouyency. However, much was salvaged without any long term problems once recovered. I sure would give it a try.

Dave

^^^^^^^^^^^^

plongeur-2.gif
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Quote Originally Posted by 1945dave View Post
    Additional remarks regarding a sunk electric. I would risk more money to try to find this boat. I still think a strong light in the hands of a diver has a chance depending on how murky the water is. My pond has all kinds of debree on the bottom but most boats that sink do not lay flat. They stand on end. One such electric sunk because the ESC started a fire or the batteries shorted who knows but it melted the foam floatation and burned a hole through the hull hence the lack of bouyency. However, much was salvaged without any long term problems once recovered. I sure would give it a try.

Dave
    I'm going Sunday to check depth and visibility for Ryan.He said he wouldn't accept any money for the dive.So maybe I should get him a new light. I'm hoping the floatation is holding the boat up.Hadn't thought of that Dave.I have no idea what the bottom is like. Maybe we will find the couple of AC boats down there as well.Hehe

Holy crap shawn! I found a boat with a fish finder. I bought it only for that reason. Want me to send it to you? Email me so I can put
    u back into my phone contacts. We can discuss options

So when you do go hunting for it please take a camera and get pics when you bring it up. Maybe even video. Sounds like you will have a lot of help and this will be quite the treasure hunt. Good Luck!
    Kyosho K.I.T.T.

Good luck Shawn, I'm sure you will get it back if you don't give up.
    Visit www.customcfparts.com | Custom Boat Building | Custom Carbon Fiber Parts | Custom Graphics | LMT Premium Dealer | MGM Premium Dealer | YouTube | Facebook
    "Follow someone's footsteps and you will always be a step behind"

I had just started increasing power after launch for clock time when I just touched a twin nitro boats wake with my new wider sponson, so the boat was only about 65 mph instead of 85 but the throddle was wide open so it could be anywhere in several acres of lake with a 3 second radio shutdown.
    I forgot to say its a PROTON magnetometer.
    The best of luck with your recovery!
    Have you got anywhere with your outrigger? My only hope is going to be a fish finder.It is 34 ft where it is and murky.
    Last edited by srislash; 09-18-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Haven't gone back out yet, I have the Flu. But the weather is changing fast here so it will probably have to wait till spring.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I am grieving, It started out as a simple flip in the corner,so I sent the rescue boat out and it seemed to drag it down a bit(it was way out there).So I went to fill up the air mattress and paddle out.When Earl and I looked up mattress in hand there was no boat.This pond is an old excavation and apparently 50+ ft deep.I may get a scuba buddy to try but a boat can drift on the way down. Yes,it had floatation(apparently not enough) and has floated nose up before for a long period of time.BUT this was with twin 6s packs and I did nail a buoy last week.Didn't think there was any damage but obviously she lost her air lock.

sorry bout the loss man that sucks.
    on that note, with all the money people put into rc boats, you would think you guys would invest in a real retrieval boat, like a kayak setup, instead of useless rc rescue boats, and an air mattress? wtf?!?!
    most of the people on here have multiple boats. instead of buying ANOTHER boat, take the money and buy a real rescue method.
    i just dont get it…..
    i spent the 600 bux on a roof rack and kayak for my civic….. sure that could have funded yet another boat… but when i flip one, i go rite out after it.

I hear ya there Dana.Ive been keeping my eyes open for a good small kayak,we have an old 15ft hull beached at the lake there but with only two of us it is impossible to get out on the water.
    In all honesty it was supposed to be a quick run with small props on the FC Shocker.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213