Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: West Florida Model boat club, Sarasota, FL

From what I have seen, most clubs charge $10 per class when they host a race. Not saying this is what you have to do, just putting the info out there. You guys should talk with Ken Haines from the Wave Blasters. I was talking with him over the weekend about them hosting their usual spring race, and how they would come over and race if we were to host a one day race as well.

BG,
    I'm in sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ENCORE MAN View Post
    With regards to NEW YEARS DAY, I checked with the park manager today and was given permission for the club to run at Encore RV Resort on Jan 1. We have water, buoys, retrieval boat, washrooms, 3 huge gas grills, heated pool, covered eating area,tables and chairs, etc. You would just have to bring your boats, food and drink. I will require some notice in order to get the course in shape. Talk it over and let me know. Brian G.
    Attachment 65556
    I can't speak for the other guys, but I'm good with it.

something else Scott and I talked about is having a club meeting at a designated time (10:00) before we run.

I think after the first of the year we will start to charge something to run. It's a way we can start to fund things we need to host races.

I'll go along with the general consensus as to where we run on New Years Day with this one extra thought. Running at another location (aside from Ackerman) on a sheduled date does not help promote club growth. With the 1st not really being a scheduled 2nd or 4th Sunday it's not a big issue.

I know Scott mentioned doing it at his place a couple posts before Encore Man. Scott's little pond is good for smaller boats, saw runs and the likes but if more than 3 of us were to show up at one time, parking could become a major issue. There is also a lot of walking involved that most of us old and out of shape guys don't like doing.

I certainly wouldn't mind running at Encore and being entertainment for the residents there on an off day. However, Scott, Chris and myself all went and looked at Encore earlier this year. At the time there was quite a bit of vegetation in the lake and a large swimming log with scales and teeth that we all three saw. I would not be eager to get in the water with him/her. If the lake can be cleaned up and prepped between now and then it could still be fun and has most of the needed amenities.
    Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by bill34207; 12-13-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Parkings not an issue here. We can park in the field across the street if need be. But I agree, as long as Encore Park is cleaned up Im game for anything. I mentioned it to BG after we saw it and he disagreed what it looked like, however, at the time, we were there. But like I said, as long as its all cleaned up and not 20 yards to get to open water, Im game.
    And a little walk is good now and again....

I think it maybe iffy running 4 or 5 boats at the same time at Scotts. I don't think any of us want to start the new year with a wrecked boat - just sayin. We could just stay at Ackerman also. We are having good turnouts there, plenty of room and everyone already knows where it is.
    It was nice for encore to offer. Maybe it would it be worth a look to see if its any different than last time you guys saw it? If its not too far out of the way for one of you to check out.
    Certainly not going to run with turtles, large floating logs with scales and teeth, or grass clogging up my water pick ups...

whens the last time you saw one ?

Are u serious??? Were you there Sunday? The monster that spent most of the morning on the front stretch just east of the start finish bouy and 15' off the bank? I see at least one in the course every time we are there.

Ya, I have yet to see one, maybe thats why I wear glasses LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RCKong View Post
    whens the last time you saw one ?
    Been a while since I've seen "one" at Ackerman. It's usually several by the end of the day. I haven't seen any of the swimming logs with teeth and scales there though (although we do have the warning sign posted).
    In all honesty, I'd really prefer running Ackerman for that same reason of having the growing turnouts lately. If we start not showing up there it would most likely fade away. As I said earlier, the 1st isn't a regularly scheduled 2nd or 4th Sunday but we were telling the new folks there last Sunday that we would be back on the 1st.

I'm still in for Encore been a while since I could run any of the small boats at Ackerman. I sure would like to get my OPC tunnel set up. Would also like to see some LSH and Spec Rigger action and leave the big boats at home. I think I'll see if BG will be home this Sat to check out the lake and run a couple boats.

Quote Originally Posted by hebner View Post
    . I think I'll see if BG will be home this Sat to check out the lake and run a couple boats.
    Good idea Hugh. Come back and let us know what the lake looks like now. When we went and looked at it earlier this year it was a little disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by hebner View Post
    I'm still in for Encore been a while since I could run any of the small boats at Ackerman. I sure would like to get my OPC tunnel set up. Would also like to see some LSH and Spec Rigger action and leave the big boats at home. I think I'll see if BG will be home this Sat to check out the lake and run a couple boats.
    Hugh, I will see you on Saturday morning. The weeds are gone and the gator is small. Anybody else who wants to run is welcome to come also. 800 Kay Rd., Bradenton on your GPS. Exit 220 on I 75. I am in site 1052, Encore RV Resort. 941-704-1196.

Sounds good BG, should be there between 9 - 9:30 AM.

I will be there on Saturday and thank for the invite. Brian, ready for the boat. Thanks Ted
    Ted H. Wachter
    West Florida Model Boat Club
    East Texas RC Boaters

I may stop by, just depends on how things go.

I'm loading up now.

hope bill videos the tunnels...meanwhile ill go back to bed lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Well... nobody else who was there has said anything so I will.
    There is nothing wrong with the lake at Encore. Evidently they only treat the lake in the winter months and when Scott, Chris and I went back in July or August we saw a mess. The vegetation is pretty much all gone now. You can still see a little below the surface at the shoreline, but no more than you see at Ackerman. I didn't see the gator today but according to BG he's still there. His name is "Hercules". I've never seen the one at Ackerman but we do have the sign posted saying there is one in the area. I saw one turtle while there but see plenty of them at Ackerman too. The one thing missing was the Ackerman chop. The lake seems to be well protected from the breeze when it's coming from the north as it was today. I shot some video (didn't take a boat with me) and will have it up after while.

There would be a little more walking to carry boats there than at Ackerman and I don't think it would handle as large a crowd as we can at Ackerman. But it would sure make for a nice spot to run and have a cookout for the people in the club on the 1st. We'll can save inviting other clubs for another day.
    Question now for everybody is who's in?
    Let's have a yay or a nay and decide where/what we're doing. We need to get a head count and decide who is bringing what if we're going to do it.

Yay.

I don't know if I'll make it on the 1st, but will be at Ackerman the on the 8th (2nd Sunday). I would like to try and run on the East side if we can get a course together, or could help work on that.

Another yay. Had a great time at Encore today, thanks BG was nice to run on smooth water for a change.

hugh boat looked good......will it take a corner at full throttle?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Thanks to all had a great time, even though things were not right with the 8 Ball boat.

Great place to run and tune/test.
    Ted H. Wachter
    West Florida Model Boat Club
    East Texas RC Boaters

Quote Originally Posted by RCKong View Post
    I don't know if I'll make it on the 1st, but will be at Ackerman the on the 8th (2nd Sunday). I would like to try and run on the East side if we can get a course together, or could help work on that.
    I plan to be at Ackerman for the 2nd Sunday (weather permitting) and also plan to be at Encore for New Years Day (weather permitting).
    Running the east side of Ackerman is going to be challenging. Laying out a course won't be that hard but getting down the bank to launch/retrieve boats is not going to need another work party for another set of steps.

well if we get 2 guys working on steps, and 2 more on the course it won't take long.

Ron,
    Still not happy with way PS295 turns, still working on it. Boats tends to make really sharp high speed 90 degree turns instead of nice easy turn. BG got to radar boat at 48mph.

Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast