Page 1 of 113 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Your MG that started off as a hull

Default Your MG that started off as a hull

Note to mods: These queries may not pertain to this "RTR" section, so feel free to move this post to any more appropriate section that you see fit. Thanks!

I finally found an opportunity of ordering just a 'hull' with an international shipping cost thats too good to pass up - so I did and hopefully its enroute.

To those who have either ordered or seen what 'hull & canopy' looks like - is it just the hull & outer canopy? Does it come with the tupperware looking smoked plastic lid or sold separately? Does it come with a boat stand?
    I did email the seller to ask what exactly comes with the 'hull & canopy' which I bought - in hopes that I could order the other parts needed to complete the hull which could be shipped at the same time. The seller replied that I should go to their website and type the name of the boat to see other parts related to the boat - but without me knowing the exact parts that came in the 'hull& canopy' set, I wouldnt know what to order. Anyway, before I could reply back - I saw an email from the seller saying that my hull has shipped.
    I'll probably just wait for it to arrive and gather more info (thus this post) and just order those parts down the road.

I also saw a hull only review of the MG in this forum and was pleasantly surprised to find out that the hull came with wooden partitions inside - a very nice touch! I guess it leaves the guesswork that Im used to with china made boat hulls - you really have to ask other owners for measurements ie - like the exit hole/slot of the stuffing tube, etc. Proboat seems to have done a good job on this hull.

Running hardware:
    One of the reasons I also got the hull only is because there are those who still stick with the inline rudder and those with offset rudder either via DIY or Kintec's offering. From what I read this counters the porpoising effect that this type of boat inherits. I also read that this porpoising could be cured by adjusting the strut angle - but also limited due to the prop hitting the strut assembly.
    Could a separate strut & rudder assembly be used? Could a rudder with a long bracket be bolted directly to the transom or there isnt any space?
    Im just trying to envision what works with MG owners and if its imperative to purchase MG's hardware or if others would work just as well.

Will appreciate any info and suggestions!
    Thanks!

The easiest way to get the porpoise out of the MG is more power. You can get it out with stocksetup but it is not easy. I have the offset rudder and really like it. My boat turns left and right VERY well! But I will say that I never ran it with the inline rudder. I'm sure others will chime in. I don't think there is enough bracing to move the rudder to the side???

Thanks for the reply, Jason - appreciate it!

Could anyone tell me the length of the stock rudder?
    To those with the offset rudders - distance between strut & rudder? Distance between transom & leading edge of the rudder?

Tnx!

I have a custom offset bracket built for mine and seeems to work great(Really cheap and easy),See transom fix thread.My rudder is 1 1/2" over from prop(center to center)38mm.The rudder is currently 2 3/4" from the face of transom extension, but I have made the bracket so I have adjustments forward and rearward.I haven't tested this yet though. Hope this helps your build.

Thanks for the reply and great job on your transom fix!

Anybody know the length of the stock rudder?

Stock was 4" top to bottom.I also took 3/8 off mine.

I'm eyeing this as a possible strut/rudder for the MG. I think this could also be converted to offset using some alum brackets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 01.jpg (147.2 KB, 132 views)

That is pritty much the same as stock.Rudder appears longer though,no harm.You could easily use some octura standoffs to offset it.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    That is pritty much the same as stock.Rudder appears longer though,no harm.You could easily use some octura standoffs to offset it.
    Yup, a buddy has one as a spare - so I may buy it from him anytime. That R2 Hobbies inline rudder has a length of 110mm or 4 -5/16". I did read somewhere that rudder lengths are about 15% of the boat's length but dunno if this applies to most rc boats in general or maybe just deep vee designs.

Yes, the Octura stand off will work or any DIY alum bracket will do as well. I am also looking at some transom pics of the Mystic29 and I do prefer a bracket bolted to the transom rather than the strut bracket mounts carrying all the load.
    Since I dont have the MG hull yet - I really dont know if they come pre-drilled with transom mounting holes - or I may just cover the stock mounting holes with bondo and start with a clean slate.
    It seems the mystic29 has a repositioned rudder linkage exit hole different from the MG - so this makes attaching brackets to the transom a lot easier as well.

There is not alot of backing in the transom so reconfiguring isn't a bad idea.I know I said this before but check my thread here in the MG section(transom fix).This happens when you don't use a breakaway screw.

Quote Originally Posted by macdon View Post
    I'm eyeing this as a possible strut/rudder for the MG. I think this could also be converted to offset using some alum brackets.
    Octura standoffs worked well for me. Same hardware you have pictured

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Octura standoffs worked well for me. Same hardware you have pictured
    Where did you buy those standoffs?
    I know they're small, but hope shipping to Manila wont be so bad.
    However, if it is......and if its more economical for me to have those standoffs made via a machine shop - would you mind giving me the measurements of those Octura standoffs?
    Thanks!

I got them from the local hobby shop, but ose has them as well.
    Last edited by tiqueman; 11-06-2011 at 08:11 AM.

O got them from the local hobby shop, but ose has them as well.
    Thanks Tiqueman

What do you guys use for the motor? Would a 3674 fit? Maybe 2000-2200kv?

Im pretty sure it will fit. I just put a castle 1518 in one for someone and it fits but w/ out the inner lid. I also changed the motor mount in doing so. And, its got an epoxy hatch on it instead of the plastic, so no worries about cracking and no need for the inner lid.

Very nice work Tiqueman! I presume you took off the stock wooden partitions inside the hull to lay down the CF?
    How hard were they to pry off?
    I initially thought that the MG hull & canopy that I ordered will come with a blank interior like those china made hulls - however, a member here reviewed a MG hull only with pics showing the interior with wooden partitions.

Theyre pretty easy to get out. I warmed them up w/ a heat gun then just pried them over w/ pliers until they snapped out in mine. the boat above is one I built for Pirhana22, but he remove the wood before shipping it to me. I beleive he used the same technique. Then I take an angle grinder and grinded out all the high spots from where epoxy was holding them down. sanded the entire inside w/ 80 grit and layed up the carbon.

Theyre pretty easy to get out. I warmed them up w/ a heat gun then just pried them over w/ pliers until they snapped out in mine. the boat above is one I built for Pirhana22, but he remove the wood before shipping it to me. I beleive he used the same technique. Then I take an angle grinder and grinded out all the high spots from where epoxy was holding them down. sanded the entire inside w/ 80 grit and layed up the carbon.
    Great info - thanks for sharing!
    I havent done CF yet but will check online for a tutorial.

Fightercat just released today his offset bracket for that strudder. Fightercatracinmg.com
    I have signed up - thanks for the heads up.
    Fightercat seems to have a similar offset bracket with the Kintec offering - however it seems kintec made a revision in their version 1 omitting the bottom part of bracket.
    Maybe because of drag?

Any insights?

Thats what I heard. But once on plane, it shouldnt be an issue.

Thats what I heard. But once on plane, it shouldnt be an issue.
    Thanks for providing the pics Tiqueman.
    From those pics it looks like the rudder got extended a bit rearward as well.

BTW, I found some stand offs - do you guys think these stand offs will work? 4pcs for $4 aint bad!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...pc%5F30mm.html

BTW, I found some stand offs - do you guys think these stand offs will work? 4pcs for $4 aint bad!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...pc%5F30mm.html[/QUOTE]

Mine is 25mm offset so I would think 30mm would be fine.Mine seems fine with the prop.Good find as long as there is something else you're after.

Mine is 25mm offset so I would think 30mm would be fine.Mine seems fine with the prop.Good find as long as there is something else you're after.
    When you have multiple boats, there's always something you need via Hobby King! hehehehe

Default MG hull arrives!

Well, after exactly 2 weeks - my MG "Hull & Canopy" finally arrived! I ordered this from Phil's Hobby Shop via their ebay store. I still cant believe that they only charged me $6.71 to ship from Fort Wayne, Indiana USA to Manila, Philippines! I had to email them to ask if the $6.71 international shipping price in ebay was a typo - but when they answered back that it was not - I BIN it right away!

The package came double boxed and no dents on the box - a relief. The MG was well packed and upon pulling out the hull in its plastic covering, I saw that the transom was already pre-drilled. I also saw a water outlet hardware, so that saves me a bit from buying one.
    Opening the canopy presented me with the wooden partitions which I kinda expected, but the big surprise was when I saw the stuffing tube installed, pre-bent and even painted under the hull with the neo green of the MG. Its just waiting to be mated with the strut!
    At first, I really thought that I would be asking the kind members of this forum for the measurements of the stuffing tube exit hole/slit.......and some unknown details. I was imagining it would be like those china made hulls that I purchased before where you need to bore holes & design your own electronics layout inside the hull.
    With the MG hull arriving this way, it would make the set up a breeze ..........and if you already have the motor, mounts, esc, servo and running hardware already in hand before the hull arrives - then it'll be just take a few hours before you can actually take it out for its maiden run!

I guess for those who have varying setups in mind or to those who have more experience, will probably prefer a clean slate hull - with no holes and no interior wooden partitions so they could either reinforce or modify whatever they please. I still dont know exactly the route that I will be taking - but hope to get more ideas from other MG owners in this forum.
    As much as this hull makes it easier to try it out as stock, I would be electing to take it easy with this hull by learning what the others have done mod wise.

The pic below shows the pre-bent & painted stuffing tube - nice touch from Proboat!

Pads Pads Pads.I couldn't believe how much putty I put on my ride pads to get em straight.If your gonna run other than stock strut you may need to build a adapter from strut to the exit tube.Just some various brass tube sizes.5/16,9/32,and1/4.I had to because of my homemade offset and epoxy buildup on the transom.It was tedious(it's only a 5mm extension) but works great.I'll post pics in my transom fix next time it's apart.Merely options here.

Pads Pads Pads.I couldn't believe how much putty I put on my ride pads to get em straight.If your gonna run other than stock strut you may need to build a adapter from strut to the exit tube.Just some various brass tube sizes.5/16,9/32,and1/4.I had to because of my homemade offset and epoxy buildup on the transom.It was tedious(it's only a 5mm extension) but works great.I'll post pics in my transom fix next time it's apart.Merely options here.
    Yup, I read about the pads - making it a sharp 90 degree, correct? Just on the insides, right?
    Then there's interior reinforcement of the hull - just like what Tiqueman did?

Yeah, I havent really dry fitted the R2hobbies inline strut/rudder as I've returned the MG in the double box it came in with. So I guess I still cant say how the pre-installed stuffing tube would mate with the strut. Various sizes of stuffing tube and an extended teflon tube might help and possibly covered or enveloped by shrink tube?
    Just things that are going around my mind at the moment.

If you wouldnt mind posting those pics in this thread as well, I'd appreciate it :)

Oh, and I forgot to ask - I guess its pretty obvious from the pics I posted above that my "hull & canopy" is basically just that - hull & canopy. It didnt come with that plastic tupperware looking lid. Do you guys suggest I still order that? How vital is that piece?

..........and while Im at it, should I get the dedicated MG wooden boat stand as well?

Page 1 of 113 1231151101 ... LastLast