Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice on a reliable radio system ???

Cool Any advice on a reliable radio system ???

Hey guys, I got to spend the day at the local boat hole, watching my UL-1 Superior float around the lake. I recently purchased a Flysky FS-GT3B 3 channel 2.4 ghz system with a handful of receivers. One of the first things I upgraded was my UL-1 Superior.

It turns out that my radio range over water is 100 - 125 feet, with a 2.4 ghz system ?? this just sucks !. My buddy's running a proboat apache cat, with a junk Traxxas TQ2 radio. The traxxas radio has much better range than my flysky.

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good inexpensive reliable boat radio. I really dont want to go to a 27 mhz system, I hate the interfearance issues. How reliable is the stock tactic system ?. Thanks everybody.

Take a look at the Spektrum DX3C Radios if you want more than one model memory. If you just require a single use TX, then the DX3E is under $100.00 and has the benefit of being able to use the MR-series Spektrum RXs, which are water resistant and have an incredible range.

I think Steven stocks some of the Spektrum gear here on the OSE.com site.

DX3E: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=dh-SPM3160

DX3C: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=dh-SPM3300

Personally, I'd pop the extra $30.00 for the C model. It's a sweet TX with all the features you would need.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Personally, I think spectrum are a lil overrated, if not a lil crazy on their prices. I purchased my flysky 2.4 3 channel with 10 model memory & all the bells and whistles, with 5 receivers for less than $100. For some reason it don't like water ?. On average a single spectrum or 75 mhz receiver is $90. I cannot afford that for radio gear for my whole fleet. That explains why I went for the flysky option. On land I can run my vehicles until their about outta site and still have control of them without an issue.

I consolidated all 8 of my transmitters into my 2.4 10 model flysky. Its saving me a small fortune in batteries, cause I scooped up 2200mah rechargeables with it as well. In this instance it sucks over water and it does perturb me. All I need for the aquacraft is a 2 channel that has excellent range and reliable over water. I could pick up the tactic 2.4 for $50 that it comes with ?, Just looking for some other options. Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Put the Tactic back in. No extra money and they work.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

I wish I had the tactic, this didn't come with a radio.

Quote Originally Posted by gsbuickman View Post
    Personally, I think spectrum are a lil overrated, if not a lil crazy on their prices. I purchased my flysky 2.4 3 channel with 10 model memory & all the bells and whistles, with 5 receivers for less than $100. For some reason it don't like water ?. On average a single spectrum or 75 mhz receiver is $90. I cannot afford that for radio gear for my whole fleet. That explains why I went for the flysky option. On land I can run my vehicles until their about outta site and still have control of them without an issue.

I consolidated all 8 of my transmitters into my 2.4 10 model flysky. Its saving me a small fortune in batteries, cause I scooped up 2200mah rechargeables with it as well. In this instance it sucks over water and it does perturb me. All I need for the aquacraft is a 2 channel that has excellent range and reliable over water. I could pick up the tactic 2.4 for $50 that it comes with ?, Just looking for some other options. Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
    My buddy's flysky had a LOT of issues on land and sea. You picked it all up for less then $100, but can't drive it more then 100ft, that doesn't sound worth the price to me and seeing how my friends performed not of fan of the flyskys. There is however a hack for the flyskys that increases the options and permanence of the radio. I rock a DX3s and ONLY use SPEKTRUM. As far as overpriced, i figure it like this most of my boats are $500+ I refuse to "save" cash on the thing that keeps me in control of those expensive parts. Now I am a fan of the cheaper esc's(hobbywing & hifei) and motors (leopards), but cutting cost on the single piece of equipment that keeps you in control of that model is crazy to me. Some guys are Futaba guys, same thing expensive but proven and reliable. I think the Tactic are the best RTR radios on the market though, but in terms of the awesome fully digital radios, futuba or spektrum all the way. I never tried airtronics but heard decent things about them. I the dx3c is a awesome looking radio, havent held it yet.

The fully waterproofed mr200 spektrum rx's are $50 and amazing! The tactic rx's are $25 each and not waterproofed and the spektrum has better range!
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 10-24-2011 at 02:00 AM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Cool

Personally, I think spectrum are a lil overrated, if not a lil crazy on their prices....
    Yes, of course they are. Your FlySky is much cheaper. If only it worked. Now you don't have a radio and you don't have your money. Too bad.

If you can't afford a decent radio, then you should stick with the cheap chinese box-art boats. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's the truth. These are radio controlled boats, if you have no control then you have wasted all the money you spent on batteries, motors, props, etc. It makes me cringe when I see guys with $1000 in their boats running a $35 radio. A quality radio makes the whole R/C boating experience a lot better. Losing control of your boat, not so much....

Sell the SkyFly junk and invest in Tactic if you want cheap. Most major radio manufacturers make entry-level 2.4 gig systems, and many of them work well on water. Your thread is a testament why not to be seduced by cheap radios. There is no value in them, just a low price.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Just curious if you have the antenna mounted vertically outside the boat or just laying it on the inside.

I had a Spectrum DX3.0 and went to DX3R when one came along for a good price. I think the programing options are well worth the money. I was having a heck of a time with my tunnel in the turns until I changed the steering profile on the radio.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

BUY A TACTIC! I have them in all my boats. They work great. Xtra receivers are $25. NO, the transmitter doesn't have model memories and is limited to simple trim and throw rates. I set up all my boats the same so all I really need to do is adjust the trim for the rudder and rudder throw rate for each different boat. The tactic tx/rcvr is now only $65!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWRP3&P=ML
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by gsbuickman View Post
    Hey guys, I got to spend the day at the local boat hole, watching my UL-1 Superior float around the lake. I recently purchased a Flysky FS-GT3B 3 channel 2.4 ghz system with a handful of receivers. One of the first things I upgraded was my UL-1 Superior.

It turns out that my radio range over water is 100 - 125 feet, with a 2.4 ghz system ?? this just sucks !
    That's a curious thing.... When I bought my ProBoat Mystic, they didn't have any RTR models in stock so I bought a PNP and looked around my house for a radio to use with it. A few years back, I had bought a cheap Cen Racing 1/8th scale nitro buggy. It came with an FM radio that I never had a problem with, but had replaced with a 2.4gHz model -- one of those $21 HK GT-2 sets. I pulled the cheap HK Rx out of the buggy, gave it a soak in CorrosionX and put it in the Mystic and used the GT-2 with the Mystic. It worked great.

I started to have a desire for some exponential on the steering channel and having had great luck with the HK GT-2, I ordered the GT3B. I used it with the same receiver that was already in the boat from the GT-2 set. It worked well, except for the expo, and had no problems with range. (I just installed some new electrical components to the Tx and reflashed the firmware. Now it's a more capable radio and all the features work great.)

A buddy then bought a Mystic PNP and I gave him the old FM radio from my buggy. He ended up with range problems past a hundred feet or so. He bought a Spektrum DX3C and the Tx was defective out of the box. My other buddy who bought a PNP Mystic is currently starting to have some radio issues.

It looks like you pays your money and you takes your chances....

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    Last edited by desmobob; 10-24-2011 at 10:06 AM.

I needed a new radio. For 130.00, I could not pass on the DX3C.

Quote Originally Posted by BondoBob View Post
    That TX is a really good value. I also like the way it's laid out and the way it feels in your hand. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by BondoBob View Post
    That will most likely be the next radio I buy. I was bummed when my buddy's new one was DOA, but that kind of stuff happens and doesn't scare me much. He has that kind of luck!

I was really looking forward to trying it. He'll show up this weekend with the replacement and I'll get to use it. I'm thinking I'll probably be ordering mine on Monday....

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    That will most likely be the next radio I buy. I was bummed when my buddy's new one was DOA, but that kind of stuff happens and doesn't scare me much. He has that kind of luck!

I was really looking forward to trying it. He'll show up this weekend with the replacement and I'll get to use it. I'm thinking I'll probably be ordering mine on Monday....

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    I'm sure he's already returned it and got a replacement, but if you guys have these kinds of troubles, make SURE to let Spektrum know about it. Feel free to contact me directly as well. I will do my best to get to the bottom of any issues, as many here and at the lake can attest, and get you going again.

These radios are not known for having a lot of issues these days, but on occasion, problems do crop up. Finding out the causes and getting them fixed, builds the data base and makes future offerings that much better, and as long as Spektrum will have me, I'm here to help.

Do not rigid mount your receiver. Wrap loosely in plastic sandwich bag to avoid getting wet and soaking up bad vibrations.

Cool Hi guys

Hi guys, wow what a feedback response. I appreciate it, but let me clarify something.

As far as nautibyz's question goes, my short antenna is vertical hrough a watertight grommet
    Now for everyone else. My original intention was not to buy the cheapest radio available. I had a substantial size fleet and at 1 point in time, I had 9 controllers. All those controllers were taking up a lot of space and I was buying batteries wholesale.

I decided to remedy the situation, and consolidate all my vehicles to 1 controller if possible. The flysky was recommended by all the guys at my local track. For land vehicles it's flawless and for the price of it and additional rx's, it cant be beat.

I thought I simply got lucky when the box said it was for boats as well. It turns out, its awesome for my cars and trucks, but it sucks ass for boats.

What I was after was input on reliable controllers for use over the water. There's am, fm. 2.4, fhss and fsgk etc. Ill keep the fs 2.4 for my cars and trucks. I'll buy a 2nd controller for any boats i pick up. I just wanted advice and wondered what you guys found to work well. I was looking for cost efffective with the price of additional receivers. That's why I ditched my JR radios and my Futaba. Additional receivers were $95 apiece, no thanks.

I just don't want to throw away dinoro's on a radio that's gonna be junk on the water.
    Thanks guys !!!

GS

In my opinion there is really only one system for over the water and that’s Futaba.. the results from the FASSTest marine team is over powering the other systems on the market.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/team/team-r...rs-marine.html

Having said this, the below system is the very same system I use at work for ALL my marine testing. Truth is this little radio has been all over the country with me.. I take it to all the operating shows I have done. Regardless of location, junk around the pond and what not.. it has NEVER let go of ANY of my boats.. EVER!..
    Make mine FUTABA!
    http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/futk2021.html

Sincerely, Grimracer

Spektrum with the marine RX. Changed over from Futaba two years ago and couldn't be happier. I had been a Futaba user since the mid 80's racing cars and nitro boats.
    Lost a 3.5 tunnel with a Futaba radio for no reason anybody can figure out, Bought the Spektrum and have never had a glitch, I've even used the surface telemetry RX at closer ranges when testing, I use the temp probes then. Way easier than having to constantly bring in the boat and un-tape it when testing.
    The other thing you can do is swap RX's between boats, I never take all my boats to the pond at the same time so I figure why have recievers in boats that won't be used for a while. Some of my boats get used weekly so they get their own RX.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

just another thumbs up for the spekky DX3C been faultless, just the right amount of settings that are useful,

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    BUY A TACTIC! I have them in all my boats. They work great.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWRP3&P=ML
    Yeah...what he said. They work great and only use 4 AA batteries (which last seemingly forever on a charge in my experience).

If the one that's labelled Tactic is too expensive to convince you, get the Tower branded one for $5 less.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWPW0&P=7
    ...and extra receivers are only $20 each!
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXLR4&P=7

No antenna wires, and the boat will pretty much be be out of sight before it's out of radio range. No antenna wires either.

I forgot to mention that the best part about the tactic is the receiver has no external antenna that has to be outside the hull!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I changed from a Spektrum radio due to intermittent performance failures. My FASST 4PK has been flawless, which I require. Zero radio issues even at oval races with hundreds of boats, in carbon fiber hulls, or at SAW events pulling 300+ amps. Can't afford a loss of radio signal at 90 mph.

But the FASST is far from cheap. The Tactic has excellent sport performance, it's only problem is single model memory.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Suckmywake and myself have had range issues with my Spektrum dx2s and his dx3s with both mr3000 & mr200 recievers. Yes, we have the longer wire in an antennae mount on the outside. I also have issues with the same tx in land vehicles using the car/truck recievers (cant remember the rx model). Rather dissapointing.

Thumbs up Good news !!!

Hi guys, I got a sweet score. I just won the bid on a Pro Boat Retrieval duck for $100

Best part is, it comes with a Spektrum DX3S radio. Now I can use the marine receivers in my boats. If anything goes wrong with a boat and she starts drifting, I can run the duck out to go get r done and bring it back. So I got a rescue duck and a Spektrum radio for a ben franklin !!.

Works for me for now.

Nice... Welcome to the fold!

OIne feature about the Spektrum that most people don't know about is that you can plug in more than one boat, get them all taped up, and set the TX to one of the models... go run it, and then, when you switch models to the other boat, it will arm and you can go run that one... May be somewhat ESC dependant, but with all my Castles, this works... I was able to have three or even 4 boats taped up and ready to launch at a time-trial recently, and would run one, bring it in, then swtich models and run the next. Obviously, GREAT car needs to be taken with any armed boat, so be careful when doing this.

Hi guys, I just heard something interesting. Thought I would throw it out here and see what you thought. I was at the local indoor track and heard a guy having a group discussion. Apparently he thinks hes the local mt wizard. He was giving a radio lesson.

He was telling everybody that am and fm radios work on radio waves for the signal to be carried to the receiver. Ok that's true, everyone knows that. He started in on 2.4 systems. He claims 2.4 radios work on the line of sight principal, as long as you can see your vehicle you have fantastic reception. If you drive your vehicle behind a solid object, so its between you and the vehicle you'll lose the signal and possibly your vehicle. Circumstances depending of course.

I dont know how much truth to that theroy, but it seems a lil farfetched. Maybe he was talkin about the early 2.4 systems ???. Any ideas ?.
    Last edited by gsbuickman; 11-03-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo

Early Spektrum radios had that problem. If you were racing and somebody's rooster tail got between you and your boat you could lose it.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

This has been my experience with radios. I sold my Spektrum dx3s and all receivers due to have poor range issue and numerous receivers failures. I bought a Flysky FS-GT3B and 10 receivers from Hobbypartz.com (less than $100 shipped). I opened up all receivers and Corrosive X them. I installed a lipo in transmitter for power. I could not be happier with this radio. It just works for me on land or water. It has better reception than my Spektrum ever did on land or water. I did have one receive of the ten that only had a range about 100ft. I replaced with a spare and the problem went away. I can handle a $7 lost. After changing that one bad receiver I never had a range problem with this radio with over two month of use even with the antenna placed down in the hull on some of my boats. I had some receivers wet and it was not a problem the still worked. Even when my boats flip upside down I still have radio contact with it. The only down side is that the receivers binds to the radio and not the model selected like Spektrum. This radio has just plain worked for me and I am very happy I switched.

I'm still running the stock Tactic on my UL-1, but I'll eventually throw in a rx for my Futaba 4PK. I highly suggest Futaba over Spektrum. Do some searching and save if you have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast