Thread: New Mystic bummer

Default New Mystic bummer

My new Mystic arrived today, took the cable out to polish and lube it and align it and 2 of the 4 collet pieces were broken, bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by MORIDE View Post
    My new Mystic arrived today, took the cable out to polish and lube it and align it and 2 of the 4 collet pieces were broken, bummer.
    My Mystic's collet's threads gave up in a month. An Octura short 5mm/.150" collet is a drop-in replacement and costs about ten bucks, vs. the twenty-four dollars ProBoat wants for the OEM collet!

I bet you're going to love your Mystic! Does the hull seem at all different from your MG; flatter sponsons, thicker hatch, etc.? Just curious.... Do you notice the 300kv difference in the motor in terms of stock speed?

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Thanks, I do need to do that have other items I need here also anyway.
    I had an extra from my Blackjack and a Octura (But the BIG one too big).
    Unfortunetly one of the motor bullet connectors came unsoldered on the second run ( I usually replace them and resolder with 4mm but forgot to do it ) anyway this hull is straighter but couls
    d just be production, also the top seems slightly thicker also.

Guys... what "collet" is coming on the Mystic??? Is it the standard "Octura" looking piece that PB has traditionally supplied, or is it a brass set-screw type?

I thought it had been changed to the set-screw type, but it sounds like they've made a production-run change or maybe I was thinking of the Impulse 31 (different factory assembly)...

The PB collets are lame at best, and the first thing I ALWAYS do is replace with an Octura. I fight the battles I can win in regards to getting these boats "perfect"... getting the collet upgraded hasn't been one of them. Sorry....

While I don't like set-screw type collets... the one that comes on the Impulse 31 does seem to be more reliable than the standard PB collet... so hopefully that's a bit of an improvement.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Guys... what "collet" is coming on the Mystic??? Is it the standard "Octura" looking piece that PB has traditionally supplied, or is it a brass set-screw type?

I thought it had been changed to the set-screw type, but it sounds like they've made a production-run change or maybe I was thinking of the Impulse 31 (different factory assembly)...

The PB collets are lame at best, and the first thing I ALWAYS do is replace with an Octura. I fight the battles I can win in regards to getting these boats "perfect"... getting the collet upgraded hasn't been one of them. Sorry....
    Mine and my two buddies' Mystics came with the normal Octura-type.

No need for apologizing, Darin! You should be taking a bow instead... the Mystic is a great boat.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

I concur desmobob. Darin did a great job on this boat....I'm very happy with my Mystic too! I will be ordering a back up collet from ose soon. I may be ordering a new flex shaft as well (starting to seperate a little). I'll need to look at your posts again regarding what shaft you ordered and how it fit. In fact, ....while I'm at it I should replace the strut bushings too.
    Thank you.
    They call me DOUBLE D

Darin, yes it is the Octura type, as mentioned mine arrived broken, however I took the original one from my Blackjack and put it on so I could run. I do have the same original collet on my MG with the stock flex cable that I have been running on 5S all year (new ESC) and have had no issues. I do clean and relube after every session.

What do you think a good prop may be for this on 4S, I am not a racer just looking to run batteries to LVC, fast as I can with no overheating issues.

I tried a GF 445, ran it for 30 seconds and bullet connector came unsoldered, also wasn't as fast as the stock prop I sharpened and balanced (well kinda balanced, steel props are more difficult?)

I am looking froward to playing with these 2 and may put the Mystic offset on my MG?

Thank you for all the replys!

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Davis View Post
    I concur desmobob. Darin did a great job on this boat....I'm very happy with my Mystic too! I will be ordering a back up collet from ose soon. I may be ordering a new flex shaft as well (starting to seperate a little). I'll need to look at your posts again regarding what shaft you ordered and how it fit. In fact, ....while I'm at it I should replace the strut bushings too.
    Thank you.
    I bought two different flex shafts: a prefabbed upgrade MG replacement shaft from OSE and a long Hyperformance upgrade shaft from Kintec (#8011). The MG shaft had a stub shaft that was too short to reach the front strut bushing in the Mystic, so I kept that as a spare. I soldered and cut the Hyperformance shaft and have had it in the boat for about twenty runs. No problems. I used the lead/Teflon strut bushings from OSE and have had no further shrieking noises from my Mystic's drive train. Those bushings are a bit longer than the stock ones, so the one in the rear of the strut needs to be trimmed back a bit.

Of the three Mystics my friends and I now have, two had the shrieking drive train issue; one did not. The one that does not is the last boat purchased, so maybe the issue has been addressed?

What a fun boat!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Moride - I like the Jim Beam logo on your Mystic I was thinking about incorporating a Crown Royal theme on mine some how. Maybe I'll see if Monojeff who does custom decals can work some magic. Ciao
    They call me DOUBLE D

Default Thanks

It was cheap also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...AMOTORS%3A1123

Also an update, I emailed Horizon a picture of the broken collet and a copy of the sales receipt and asked them to do the right thing and send me new one, 5 days later I received a package with a new collet, I have had similar good dealings with HH on a Losi Desert Truck.

The funny thing was it came in a box that was big enough for at least a 100 collets.