Thread: supervee 27 questions ( new guy )

Default supervee 27 questions ( new guy )

i want to start off by saying thanks for your help in advance. I just bought a brand new supervee 27 off a guy at my work who needed money. I got it for $40 but it did not come with any batterys. I have been into the rc scene before so i am not a total noob. anyway my question is this which is the best battery setup for these boats with the stock esc and motor? I have read atleast 5000 mah 7.2v then i have heard to use an 11.1 lipo then i have heard dual 2s lipo then i heard the stock esc is not lipo ready. so if you guys could 1. tell me best setup then 2. tell me cheapest setup and 3. tell me the best place to get batteries. I am trying to keep this cost effective till i decide if i like the boats or not. i live in cincinnati ohio so if anyone has extra batteries let me know i can meet locally. thanks

I have 3 of these boats and they run great with a stock set up. I run two Zippyflight 2s packs in series. They are 5000 mah, 20 c batteries and do the job nicely (IMO). I will probably go up in size from 20c to 40 c as I buy new batteries because I have some other boat set-ups on the horizon.

Get a liposhield from the OSE store or from Kintec racing to protect your batteries but time your runs so you never reach your low voltage cut off. A typical run for me is between 2, 1/2 - 3 minutes. For 40.00 you got a great deal!!

I purchased my batteries from Hobby King. They are affordable and even with the shipping they have proven to be good value. Again, that is only my experience. One of my buddies has recently tried Gens Ace batteries and appears to be quite satisfied with them.

There are lots of guys on here with way more experience than me so you'll probably find all the help you need to at least give the FE experience a good try. I've discovered that you can spend a lot of money on upgrading these boats but they have procen to be tons of fun pretty much just as they are.
    Last edited by johnmaclean; 10-20-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    A dream not pursued is not worth holding.
    Aquacraft SV27 x 4, Proboat Mini-V, Redtail Kneeler Hydro, JAE21, ML GP335

are these batteries you are talking about $16.99? also once i attach the deans plug is there a charger you recomend that will allow me to charge deans connections? how would i go about charging these once deans is connected? once again thanks for your help

i guess if i am getting lipo i dont need to worry as they have there own charge port on them.

yep, that sounds about right. Keep in mind that the shipping cost will add to the cost of the batteries. These are the batteries
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8578

. . . but like I said, if I was doing it over I would opt for something with a little higher discharge rate.

I bought my charger from Hobby King as well. Its a 200 watt charger --- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11444

The batteries connect to the charger through the main battery leads and the balance leads. I don't always balance charge them but it provides the opportunity to monitor the voltage level on the individual cells as they charge.

As far as battery connectors I've switched over to EC5 connectors.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9194

It meant quite a bit of soldering for my four boats, the batteries and the charger leads but they provide a larger contact surface area and that made good sense to me as an electrician. LOL.

The last component I purchased was a 12 volt, 42 watt power supply to power the charger. Found a great supplier and am very happy with it to date.
    A dream not pursued is not worth holding.
    Aquacraft SV27 x 4, Proboat Mini-V, Redtail Kneeler Hydro, JAE21, ML GP335

These batts are the way to go.......................5000 40c and in the USA warehouse.........to your door in three days and only 25 bucks each!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I noticed peak discharge is 50c on those batteries that wont hurt the esc will it?

No, the esc and motor only draw what they need, the battery just supplies the current as required it doesn't force it on the components.
    BTW if you have the new SV27r with the upgraded esc and motor I'm pretty sure you don't need a lipo shield, only the original version is not lipo ready.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

its a supervee 27 brushless ( so i imagine its the old model ) the guy i bought it from said he had it in the water 1 time and he bought it a year ago so i am assuming its an older model if its a little over a year old.

with the origional model you just need to install the lipo cut off switch correct then i am ready to run lipo's

Yep thats it, I have an original and still use the stock esc with a liposhield.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

If I get it correct then....

The current iteration of the SV27 is the SV27R which comes stock with a 45 Amp ESC for (and I'm reading off the unit right now) NiCd and NiMh battery packs. This ESC does not have the low voltage cut off for LiPo's - but - you can still run Lipo's with it if you're careful, and quit as soon as you notice a slowdown. However, Aquacraft do a 60 amp ESC (AQUM7011) which is LiPo friendly and has Aquacraft's 'stutter-bump' warning system when the battery voltages get low - and then a complete cutoff at 11.6v. I put the 60 amp in mine. Also, I believe the first version of the SV27 has the water pickup off the rudder? Whereas the SV27R (as in my case) has a transom mounted water pickup - just a way to tell what version you might have. With the un-altered wiring it'd be 2 x 7.4v (2s-1p) Lipo's in series if indeed you want to run Lipo's in it.

I run the 60amp Aquacraft ESC with 30C or 40C (or so the label says) LiPo's and that makes it go like the clappers.

C rating has nothing at all to do with speed, either a battery can supply the current or not, and these setups may spike at 80 amps or so. Therefore as long as you pack can supply a max burst of 80 amps you will not see any increase in speed just because you try batteries that can supply 200 amps. 20c or 30 c, Enerland, turnigy or gens ace my stock boats run the same speed no matter which battery I choose.
    Not saying a higher c rating is bad, just that the boat will only draw what it needs and as long as the packs can supply it you will see no speed difference.
    SAme goes for the esc, my boats are the same speed with a stock 45 amp esc or a seaking 120.
    I was wrong about the SV27r esc, I haven't seen one yet and I assumed it was the 60 amp UL-1 esc. No idea why AQ would still be marketing that boat for NIMH, then again a lot of things AQ do don't make sense to me.
    After buying a Motley Crew I'v become a Proboat supporter, I've had 3 AQ products and the quality just seems to keep going down with each new boat they release!

i went ahead and bought 2 5100 nimh batteries just because i could not wait 3 days to get the lipo's. I have also ordered 4 2s1p 30c batteries and a low voltage cut off switch. 1 thing i did notice though, on all my other rc planes, cars etc you always turn the rx on and then the tx and i see no on/off switch on the boat or in the hull so once you plug batteries in on these boats are you live? or am i just not seeing the switch?

My SV27R has no 'on' switch for the receiver either. As soon as both batteries are connected then you're live. Do a test run on the bench. But don't go crazy revving the motor when you do that. Just a few bursts of a few seconds to test and leave it at that. Just make sure you get the arming sequence down pat before your boat goes drifting off into the lake. Been there - done that - bad amateur gaff right there..........

Thanks for the schooling in the C ratings SiberianHusky. Gotta love forums like this!
    Last edited by IRON-PAWW; 10-23-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

had to go out and buy myself a blackjack 26, there is no more supervee. i decided to run it on the river ( well a canal ) that leads to the river, everything was going great. made a couple high speed passes and everything was working beautiful and then the hatch popped off and drug the water and caused the boat to flip. the boat filled up with water and sank accept 4 inches or so sticking out of water. i live in ohio its cold here right now and i jumped in after the boat. the current took me far down stream and close to a dam so i had to ditch the boat and watch it go down stream. i chased it for about 2 miles until i could go no furthar i am sure someone will find a pretty cool toy laying on some brush somewhere on the river downstream. luckly i only paid $40 for the boat but i forgot to tape the hatch. hard lesson learned. now time to figure out the blackjack and take to a pond from now on

Next time remember that your life is worth way more than 40 bucks..............................
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Indeed - careful where you go swimming.

However - I have to admire your spirit in trying to retrieve your lost SV27. You've shown true dedication to the cause right there! I too have had to take the odd swim to retrieve a flipped over or reed-caught boat - but never in a river I'd have to say. I live in Australia so the cold is never really an issue here.

Never mind. Take it like a man and salute your lost boat over a stiff beverage. I too shall mourn it's passing....... :)
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Hey Iron-paww,

Where in oz are you?
    I live in sydney on the northern beaches and have been trying to find some others with FE boats in the area

Tone

Hey Makin' Waves!

I'm on the other side of the continent (or island-continent) unfortunately - In Perth. Only the Nullarbor plus another coupla thousand Km in between you and me I know there's a few guys from OZ on the RCgroups.com forum but not sure about where they all live. I have the same problem actually - finding people with similar interests to race against etc without actually needing to join a club. I've seen a few boats of varying types out and about in OZ but so far nothing to run against my little collection. SV27's have been available in OZ for a while so people must run them ..... somewhere. Do you actually run in the ocean over there? I went for a blast on the coast over here and just ran a heap of fresh water through afterward plus gave the flex cable a lengthy WD40 bath afterward - along with with a liberal dose of WD40 for everything else. As summer wears on I think my lakes will disappear.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

Hey Iron-paww,

Yeah too far to meet up mate! lol.

I don't run mine in the ocean that would be too much hassle, but I have no choice but to run in salt water. I just make sure i rinse everything and flush out the cooling tubes every time i run my boat.

I'm lucky where I live cos theres heaps of places to run the boat, But I've only found a bunch of old guys with sail boats so far, don't think theyd appreciate
    my sv ripping past them every second or so!

Also mate have you tried 'innox' spray instead of the ol wd40? I find it much better and it doesn't really have a smell like wd40. you should give it a try. I spay it all over my hardware after a run and use it to help protect all my electrics aswell.

Have fun mate

Tone